New Motor, 9-5 Aero HOT :)

Barry Cade

I had two 9-5 Aeros over twelve years, an early one and a late Dame Edna.  I reckon the middle-era ones are the best of the lot.  Here you've got the better gearbox and a bit more power but it's pre-2006 for sensible road tax and avoiding the dodgy facelift.  Seats are great.  Urban MPG is very not great.  Mid-range shove never fails to amuse.  Well bought!

Top buying,these are lovely motors,fast and comfortable,i am on my fourth one.

Just spent a fair bit of money on my Vector (one below the Aero) at 149000 miles,but mostly consumables-four tyres,front discs and pads and a DI pack and spark plugs! Worth it though.

post-4998-0-58964400-1548931081_thumb.jpg

Got a wee bit of time with it today. Ran a full diagnostic, and everything- EVERYTHING came up green! No faults. Never seen that on a Saab before.. Has Xenon headlamps which are shite... I hate Xenons, and expected to find faults here, but none .The lenses are properly bollocksed though, so will have to polish them to see if that helps. Had a go at fixing the SID last night by putting pressure on the ribbon, which made it better, but still not a full quota of pixels, so popped down to Stirling to AK speedo's who do repairs and kits, which I've used in the past. Now fitted and working perfectly.

Popped through to UPULLIT in Inverkeithing who had 5 9-5's.. Looking for a dog guard and a few other things.. came home with another SID, covers for the boot rails, the tie downs which go into these and a perfect shark fin. The one on mine is gone, rotted away.

Found the switch for the heated rear seat today too, and they work! No vented seats though. Upullit website said they had a Griffin in for breaking, but wasn't there... these have everything and are really rare. Bugger. Found another one that had NAV, but someone beat me to it. Double bugger.

Now, the day after I'm finding a few things that need attended to- engine and gearbox mounts are soft, and there sounds and feels like the front suspension needs looked at.  Headlights as mentioned, and the aircon is empty. Rear washer doesn't work either, but that seems to be a 9-5 estate bugbear, the spindle clogs up and the pipe blows off, filling the tailgate with blue water. Seems like this may be the problem here.

Seeing it in the crisp winter sunshine today I found quite a few more marks in the paint and scratches and stuff, but after 180000 miles I suppose it is in really good shape. Plenty of gentle fettling and TLC should keep it nice. I'll run it a few weeks as a shakedown, then get on to NEO bros for a service kit and maybe some goodies :)

Oh. Dealer plates, keyring,window sticker and even tax disc holder still in the screen....

post-62-0-52004700-1548960244_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-43206600-1548960269_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-72995400-1548960287_thumb.jpg

Top buying,these are lovely motors,fast and comfortable,i am on my fourth one.

Just spent a fair bit of money on my Vector (one below the Aero) at 149000 miles,but mostly consumables-four tyres,front discs and pads and a DI pack and spark plugs! Worth it though.

attachicon.gifmediaSYAAV2CH (2).jpg

Beautiful ! That's a cracking colour and nice to see one thats not silver! That bill had to hurt. Noticed the Aero has bigger brakes, and I'd imaging a far bigger price tag. Was the Di change just a precaution or did you have issues?  This is my 2nd 9-5 and my 7th Saab. Still kick myself for parting with my 900T16s , black and tan with every extra..

Beautiful ! That's a cracking colour and nice to see one thats not silver! That bill had to hurt. Noticed the Aero has bigger brakes, and I'd imaging a far bigger price tag. Was the Di change just a precaution or did you have issues?  This is my 2nd 9-5 and my 7th Saab. Still kick myself for parting with my 900T16s , black and tan with every extra..

The bill has been spread over the last 3 months so that made it a bit easier. Yes I had issues with the DI,no fail to proceeds thankfully. The fault started with intermittent CEL on and off for about 2 months,i had it checked with a Tech 2 and it showed the relevant P code but it was still running ok,then about a fortnight ago one morning whilst starting it there was quite a loud popping noise and the revs rose and settled back down so I had the Tech 2 check again and it was the same P code as before. I bit the bullet and got a new genuine DI and plugs and changed it yesterday and sure enough when we removed the old DI there was a large crack through it. But in all that time it never let me down. If you need a new DI anytime I can give you the suppliers number. 

How old are the Xenon bulbs? Our A4 is on 178k with original bulbs. Completely possible as they don't blow like filament.

However the reason I ask is that when HIDs age they dim. Don't tend to go out completely but just get dimmer and dimmer. Our A4 is now at the point where its in dire need of new bulbs. Think well performing sealed beams rather than the usual retina burning HIDs.

Xenons are shite? Since when?

Sine they got old.. My Rover 75 and now the 9-5 have Xenons. Both had 15+ year old bulbs and road rashed plastic lenses and knackered load levelling sensors. The 75's was hanging down by its connector whilst the lights aimed just above the foglights, the 9-5's are dangerous at anything above 40mph... I'll go through the system but if they dont end as good as good "ordinary" lights they'll be getting binned.

I'm sure on a new Audi or BMW it's like driving in daylight, but once they age, they're shite. The lights on my old 9-5 with proper bulbs and glass lenses were awesome.

I do admit the lenses on the Aero are nearly opaque...

Polished the headlights yesterday, then recalibrated the system with the laptop after checking the sensors front and rear, and the headlights are now good, and brilliant on main beam. Still not convinced about Xenons but now I can do more than 30 at night. Fitted the new aerial and spent a good hour sorting the rear washer- it's amazing the hardened crud that blocks these, and it's probably about 5  inches right through the wiper spindle. Drilled through both sides with an 1/8th drill, but still needed to hammer a thin screwdriver through to get it all out. It's obviously not worked for many years.. Headlight washers next..

post-62-0-85956400-1549194176_thumb.jpg

Polished the headlights yesterday, then recalibrated the system with the laptop after checking the sensors front and rear, and the headlights are now good

Can I ask what software etc you were using that will calibrate the sensors?

My 9-5 is flagging a fault light on the dash for the headlamp levelling but my Solus doesn’t want to know and I’m loath to invest in Tech2 unless absolutely necessary.