BeEP's motors - Pride MOT'd, Cinq starts, C1 for sale.

BeEP

Thanks to Craig for coming on the Savvy hunt.  By far the newest car I've owned (the previous was the 05 Picanto currently being roffled on the for sale/wanted board).  Needs exhaust and suspension squeak sorting out then a new MOT (expires at the beginning of December).  I've a couple of people in mind for it, but if neither want it exoect a for sale thread once the Picanto has gone.  Unless I keep it and get rid of the 206.........

So the Savvy looks dead smart, a tiny dent in the rear quarter panel aside.

Inside is a little grubby but in good condition apart from the steering wheel plastic being as crap as that on a Multipla dashboard (sticky, starting to break up). Really good radio/cd player.

Drives well, plenty of power for such a light car but the exhaust is blowing badly as it has had an emergency bridges repair. Also the nearside front wheel squeeks really badly after you go over a bump and that got worse on the drive back.

Still a really nice 'new' car for pennies.

Check leaking through the rubber boot, where hrw/wiper cabling + washer tube goes into hatch.... Lousy fitting/seaweed grade rubber means water trickles in = boot aquarium/rusty spare/bubbling arch edge [see: rover/honda]. Check it all and lob on gutter sealant :)

Check 'tin pot' gearbox cover hasn't rusted through... Renault replacement (from scrappy) will last forever...

Rear wheel bearings.... Tighten to nip, then off a smidge (factory has a wind on preload ft lb = noshhed bearings :( )

MOT fail bottom balljoint? Unobtanium... Buy a Tigra one!

Slider pins for caliper/pads can get dry = stick & cause pads to bind...

2 hours ago, tooSavvy said:

Check leaking through the rubber boot, where hrw/wiper cabling + washer tube goes into hatch.... Lousy fitting/seaweed grade rubber means water trickles in = boot aquarium/rusty spare/bubbling arch edge [see: rover/honda]. Check it all and lob on gutter sealant :)

Check 'tin pot' gearbox cover hasn't rusted through... Renault replacement (from scrappy) will last forever...

Rear wheel bearings.... Tighten to nip, then off a smidge (factory has a wind on preload ft lb = noshhed bearings :( )

MOT fail bottom balljoint? Unobtanium... Buy a Tigra one!

Slider pins for caliper/pads can get dry = stick & cause pads to bind...

Thanks for the advice.  Rear wheel bearing procedure as per Austin Allegro ?

Good news is the boot is completely dry and the spare wheel unused and shiny.

Better news is that the squeak is actually coming from the bodged exhaust; it has broken at the front of the centre section and had a crude sleeve put on it and supported with a piece of wire.

Well, a long time shiter disappeared over the horizon (actually around the hedge at the end of the drive) in the Picanto this evening.  I hope it serves them well (no messages yet to say it's broken down) .

Off to view two more tomorrow, although the second isn't for me.  And the first, if purchased, will overtake the Savvy as the newest vehicle I own. In the words of Duran Duran, her name is Rio....

• 2 weeks later...

As usual plans change faster than the weather.  The dark blue 206 waltzed through its MOT this morning (just an advisory for an oil leak), and combined with the fact the coolant in the light blue one contains an unhealthy percentage of oil means the former will now see out the winter (cambelt roulette permitting) and the latter be stripped of useful spares and scrapped.  Here it is, awaiting its fate...

2063599912_YP52ZCXnsf.thumb.JPG.a2cf979a7efcef5df215ff913a29b849.JPG

It's already donated two better tyres and its wiper blades to the other one.  I really should have looked at the coolant before starting to fix things though; the exhaust now hangs exactly as Peugeot intended.

And as hinted above, and previewed in another thread, this was collected last week and has cleaned up pretty well.

1498575909_AO10KTCosf.thumb.JPG.05839a23d70ef66637992b76e680b0ce.JPG

667428261_AO10KTCnsr.thumb.JPG.b4ecdfc109b9f2cafc03caed10e5965b.JPG

2073816718_AO10KTCosfinterior.thumb.JPG.c6675ad5897ec98d1ed8d0bc36aae23f.JPG

Behold the basicness; diy windows and not even central locking!  Far too modern for me, it's basically a new car, so now advertised here

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910313897069

A fair bit cheaper than any others advertised of equivalent mileage and condition; it will even get an oil & filter change tomorrow if the weather plays ball.  I'm sure a bit of a discount could be managed if a shiter fancies it (not holding my breath though).

Meanwhile, just so you know it's still here, the Savvy waits patiently for its turn.  The MOT slips into its final month next week, so I'll probably get the garage to put the exhaust on at the same time as testing it.

1452589497_AY09ZWEnsf.thumb.JPG.40dec7f86194048a72a1acd488ed3726.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

The OMGHGF 206 departed via CarTakeBack today.  It ended up owing me £33 for which I got a good battery, 3 good tyres, an almost new exhaust, an aux belt which has stopped the dark blue one chirruping on start up and a number of other bits and pieces.  So well worth it in the end.

As covered in other threads, the Rio has sold to Eavp, and is shitelying it's way down the country later in the week.  I'm taking it to Six-cylinders and he's completing the task on Saturday.  Hopefully it will prove to be a reliable, low-cost, new car!

With the Rio out of the way attention will turn to the Savvy, although I've made a snap decision to try and get the Maestro van back on the road for next month, so that will happen first.  A potential house move (I've had an offer accepted, but haven't managed to sell mine yet) means it will be useful for tip runs, as the LDV isn't allowed in on account of size.

And finally the Antique Gold Allegro returned last night, ready for me to start putting it back together:

Before...

1858333382_Daisylookinghopeful.thumb.JPG.8845c4b3e245f2f57a09eb7a839b4ad3.JPG

After...

1319560849_Daisyreturns4.thumb.JPG.38130d55b887789e6c68352f16f8bb30.JPG

1375730657_Daisyreturns3.thumb.JPG.d6966f68ba4acb520fa67fc5bda364af.JPG

Good news - Maestro van passed its MOT this morning with just an advisory for a balljoint.

Bad news - got home to find 206 with a flat tyre.  Located the hole but can't work out what's gone through it.  Hopefully repairable.

Other news - Savvy booked in to have centre exhaust replaced followed by MOT on Thursday.  I had another go at the exhaust yesterday but not enough room to get impact gun on bolts and won't budge with breaker bar (plus I'm afraid of damaging front section/cat if everything twists too much).

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Any update on the Austin 1800? I was just looking at the pics from the first post - it looks very handsome!

The green 1800 I've owned since 2006 still slumbers exactly as pictured in the first post.  It will get sorted one day, honest!

I also have this one, which is theoretically for sale.  Needs three bits of welding for a MOT but is useable as is.  As there's been no interest in it I'm hoping my tame welder will have time to get it MOTable in the new year and I'll re-advertise (at a higher price, obviously!).

1723043547_WWU146Josf.thumb.JPG.7728f71eff2ed1c09795d55d75d6a566.JPG