BeEP's motors - Pride MOT'd, Cinq starts, C1 for sale.

BeEP

Modus is a very very good car, cam belt was replaced in 19 according to last seller. 

I’ll be honest while it came to me with little in the way of receipts the book is fully stamped up, and the general condition / drive backs up what I think is a very decent car.

I sort of regret selling it tbh, £30 tax, 45mpg average, very capable on the motorway, 5 doors.  Underneath is very tidy. Honestly I’m half tempted to buy it back, £400 will surely be the cheapest 1.5dci you’ll find on the market.

Interior photos below for @Fabergé Greggs.  Seats are grubbier than the photos suggest, but not damaged so should clean up ok.  Discovered this morning that there is a CD stuck in the player - radio works ok though.

I've now taxed/insured it so will run it for the rest of the month before trying to sell properly.  That said, I'll honour the £400 if anyone really wants it before then.

Headlight bulb swap postponed due to totally inaccurate weather forecast, my 1300 sat in the workshop with its rear subframe out (ie other work now needs to happen outside) and yesterday's snow melting and finding new and ingenious ways of coming through the roof of the unit storing my other classics.

1002202684_AF55NZSosfinterior.thumb.JPG.3b66bd8f97558e95892cbd861892573d.JPG

1730361989_AF55NZSnsfinterior.thumb.JPG.57319210caeafc4b957203de967f12e7.JPG

409091111_AF55NZSinstruments.thumb.JPG.4dba94310fe4b36d3775e16742ca458e.JPG

396138455_AF55NZSosrinterior.thumb.JPG.c402ab5766436962e02e929a02100ca9.JPG

• BeEP changed the title to BeEP's motors - Modus not really for sale. 07/12/20

Quick update re the Modus as I've had a few enquiries.  I had to put two litres of coolant in on Saturday to get it back to the mark, so I need to run it for a few weeks and monitor/work out where it's going.  The person at the head of the queue (they know who they are) then has first refusal.

So the Modus is still losing coolant; about a third of a litre added today after a week's use (albeit only about 70 miles).  No signs of HGF, and it runs really sweetly.  Will take the various covers off this week and see if I can spot anything (raising the bonnet reveals a space the size of a letter box).  The worst tyre loses air quite quickly when parked in certain positions but not in others, so assuming there's a nail or similar in it somewhere.  If it ever stops raining will investigate this as well. 

Corsa now has a shiny new MOT and is for sale here:

https://autoshite.com/topic/43430-2005-vauxhall-corsa-12-twinport-mot-jan-2022-£550-west-norfolk/

And I've been meaning to add a bit of a update re the Austin 1300.  Unsurprisingly the bits of welding to the sill ended up extending to the heelboard, so it now looks like this...

DSCN2026.thumb.JPG.cee34c3a74db3b44eacde7c7e8a96904.JPG

DSCN2025.thumb.JPG.fd58ef30b08040af3783c4a72a4e5dc0.JPG

I'm definitely not going for concours!  It's still remarkably good for a 50 year old ado16 which has been off the road for the last 25 years though.  Unfortunately progress is funerally slow due to faffing with modern cars, the weather and my general rubbishness.  Should be ready to start reassembling before Christmas, although I'm not sure whether to fit the subframe bare (which would be easier) and reassemble when on the car, or build it up first (radius arms, displacers etc) and fit the whole thing in the opposite way to how it came out.   I wonder which approach@SiCtook with his?

• BeEP changed the title to BeEP's motors - Corsa for sale and ado16 progress. 13/12/20.
37 minutes ago, BeEP said:

So the Modus is still losing coolant; about a third of a litre added today after a week's use (albeit only about 70 miles).  No signs of HGF, and it runs really sweetly.  Will take the various covers off this week and see if I can spot anything (raising the bonnet reveals a space the size of a letter box).  The worst tyre loses air quite quickly when parked in certain positions but not in others, so assuming there's a nail or similar in it somewhere.  If it ever stops raining will investigate this as well. 

Corsa now has a shiny new MOT and is for sale here:

https://autoshite.com/topic/43430-2005-vauxhall-corsa-12-twinport-mot-jan-2022-£550-west-norfolk/

And I've been meaning to add a bit of a update re the Austin 1300.  Unsurprisingly the bits of welding to the sill ended up extending to the heelboard, so it now looks like this...

DSCN2026.thumb.JPG.cee34c3a74db3b44eacde7c7e8a96904.JPG

DSCN2025.thumb.JPG.fd58ef30b08040af3783c4a72a4e5dc0.JPG

I'm definitely not going for concours!  It's still remarkably good for a 50 year old ado16 which has been off the road for the last 25 years though.  Unfortunately progress is funerally slow due to faffing with modern cars, the weather and my general rubbishness.  Should be ready to start reassembling before Christmas, although I'm not sure whether to fit the subframe bare (which would be easier) and reassemble when on the car, or build it up first (radius arms, displacers etc) and fit the whole thing in the opposite way to how it came out.   I wonder which approach@SiCtook with his?

IIRC and it has been 30 years since i last did one we built it up loose then fitted it and tightened everything up at the end. 

Ah that image brings back some (painful) memories!

The purple 1100 I unbolted and bolted fully done up. When refitting, fence post across the middle with Jack underneath. This acted like a pivot to allow it to jiggle into place. They are quite heavy when fully done up though! I could just about heave it around by myself - I'm not a very big person admittedly.

My current 1100 may be in tractor blue enamel, but the bits that go scary on ADO16s are in remarkably good nick!
65b1aabe9c7c21e708a8cf9bbe3f2d7d.jpg

Not only it's lasted 52+ years, but 75% of that time was up in Scotland!?

Having done a bit of Modus dismantling this morning it seems there is a leak from near the top corner of the (new looking) radiator.  Lots of pink staining down that side and dampness on everything nearby, so I think we've found the culprit.  Will have another look when I've done a proper journey and it's fully up to temperature/pressure but initial thought is to chuck a bottle of rad-weld in and see what happens (expects to hear chorus of "don't do that") as it is dubious whether radiator replacement is worth the time/money/effort (and so far I haven't managed to find a you-tube guide!).

• 1 year later...

Hmm, I seem to have skipped 2021 entirely!  So to close off the above, radweld did indeed fix* the Modus, which I then ran for six months, re-MOT'd and sold to a friend of my brother.  As far as I know it's still providing them with reliable service down in Brighton.

The white 1300 was re-assembled, brakes overhauled and um, that's it.  Back to hiding in the corner of the garage whilst overtaken by other stuff.

I will update on the classics* shortly, and do a catch up on the modern(ish) stuff which has come and gone in the last 13 months, but the real impetus for the revival of this thread is the arrival last Sunday of this (seen alongside the C1 which has been my everyday car since September)...

DSCN2327.thumb.JPG.24206498ef9083b546d91d87d77816d7.JPG

When I advertised the Civic last weekend, @Agilareplied almost instantly with a proposal that saw me take the Avensis in part-ex.  I have to admit that I've liked the look of it since it was first advertised on here, and was intrigued as to what its issues were.  He left Doncaster at 5.30 Sunday morning and drove through torrential rain, which given later discoveries I have to give him full bravery points for.  It had been noted elsewhere that the handling of the Avensis was sub-optimal and indeed, within 50 yards of leaving my drive it was obvious something was badly amiss, with the front end all over the place and pulling hard left under moderate acceleration/hard right under deceleration or braking.  My guess of suspension arm was basically correct, although I went for the wrong one first.  With the offside wheel up in the air the amount of play from the suspension arm front bush was comical.  But oddly, rather than the bush itself being at fault, the bolt through it was wound out by a good two to three threads.  Tightened up and all was well.  Or was it?  As I went to put the undertray back on (I'm impressed that a 19 year old car still has them!) I spotted this...

DSCN2330.thumb.JPG.9aef1d969dd6fcd376dbe90a2c45f075.JPG

...and whilst it would doubtless have remained intact until I put it in for a MOT next month once seen can't be unseen.  So a new arm has been fitted.  This didn't solve the knocking from that corner, but fortunately fitting one of the ARB drop-links supplied by Agila has and it now drives rather well.

And in a slightly ironic turn of events it is being borrowed by @Craig the Princess this week to visit family in Glasgow!

Assuming it achieves a new MOT next month expect to see it for sale yet again!

• BeEP changed the title to BeEP's motors - 'That' brown Avensis!

2021 was a quiet year for the older members of the fleet.  The Morris 1100...

DSCN2067.thumb.JPG.e630ea6438baa98194d9277ae78c78e9.JPG

...was sold to @Fabergé Greggsin April, who I believe is still happily using it to trundle around London in blissful ULEZlessness.

In September this...

995145066_LGV150Posf.thumb.JPG.86f73bae44f38a8504df710a5566ffd1.JPG

...was sold to a club member on the South coast and replaced with this...

DSCN2328.thumb.JPG.ebd2582ee1138d1ee73679d827575310.JPG

An early 1300 Super, it's a car I owned briefly about 10 years ago and having kept in touch with the person I sold it to got the first chance to buy it back.  Off road since 2016 it's now up and running again and as the brake master cylinder needed overhaul I've taken the opportunity to add a servo (early 1100 & 1300 Allegros didn't have one).  Needs two more tiny bits of welding which I missed at first, then should be good to go back on the road.  Once I'm happy that engine and gearbox are still in good health they will be coming out and a higher diff fitted.

Of the others, the Maestro van and Landcrab are still MOTed but have seen little use, whilst the Limeflower 1100 continues to slumber.

• BeEP changed the title to BeEP's motors - 'That' brown Avensis (and another Allegro).
35 minutes ago, loserone said:

Three randoms please.  I feel the need to try this.

Noted.  Although by the time it's up for sale (probably end of March(ish)) I'll have forgotten!

Happy to report that it wafted its way up to Glasgow last night; 344 miles at an indicated 59mpg apparently.  Although that just confirms my scepticism of trip computers; if the actual value is 40-45mpg I'll still be impressed.

IMG_20220217_224426922_HDR.thumb.jpg.8be23ecf833eef35af5410300de62a44.jpg

The trees survived the wind, which is more than can be said for all the vehicles. 

Yes, that is the windscreen cracked all over.

On 16/02/2022 at 17:57, Craig the Princess said:

IMG_20220216_124413503_HDR.thumb.jpg.42d436571805734e61781fd8d1a7d4b3.jpg

It made it to Glasgow without missing a beat. Currently parked in the middle of the car park where we are staying away from the trees moving in the expected to be 80mph winds.

On 2/16/2022 at 5:57 PM, Craig the Princess said:

IMG_20220216_124413503_HDR.thumb.jpg.42d436571805734e61781fd8d1a7d4b3.jpg

It made it to Glasgow without missing a beat. Currently parked in the middle of the car park where we are staying away from the trees moving in the expected to be 80mph winds.

Wait, you're staying in the Kelvingrove???

26 minutes ago, yes oui si said:

A fair one though. 

Not really.

A lazy one, at best. 

You may as well, put a sign up saying, "No Irish Pyekeys, No Sheep shagging Welsh, No Tight Arse Scots, No Thieving Scousers, No Thick Brummies, No Labour, No wimmin, no gays" 

I be much offended. 

4 hours ago, BeEP said:

Thanks for derailing my thread chaps; much appreciated.  Have a couple of photos of cars I used to own (which I don't think I've put on here before) to try and get things back on track:

915058066_Riley1pt5005.thumb.jpg.511b5c416b786b6c5c2fdacb4bb336d3.jpg

1037893893_LDY83P006.thumb.jpg.e2c36111146a9fdb9dcf2da235a5fc9c.jpg

894165338_OPB375D010.thumb.jpg.cebbb6ecf35d9a05108ac3cca55ef9d7.jpg

Love these pictures, the Riley has a 70’s boy racer vibe without the bumpers!