BeEP

BeEP's motors - Impeccable timing; Maestro ready for sale!.

i too have had Monstro tendencies in the past

Maestros:

• 1.3L (driving school)
  • 1.6 HLS (grandad's car)
  • 1.3 base
  • MG 2.0 EFi

Montegos:

• 1.6 base
  • 2.0 GSi

plus others belonging to friends & rellys

2.0i VDP estate with n/a 2.0 prima power- b-i-l's car

2 diesel estates, 1 loon & 2 diesel maestros- taxi driving buddy

funk me i had it bad 🙃

I've been doing bits and pieces on the Maestro, but it needs a new carb (or the existing one overhauled).  It's running way, way too rich, and adjusting the mixture through the complete range makes no difference (yes, the jet is moving up and down correctly).  The idle speed had been wound right up as any lower and the thing just floods itself to a halt and won't restart until the plugs have dried.  Problem is I don't have a spare HIF44 and I refuse to pay the £100+ prices second hand ones seem to be going for.  Complete overhaul kits are around £50 or I could gamble on just a new jet for about £20.  Put to one side whilst I contemplate.

So attention turned back to the Allegro.  The engine has been back in this for a few weeks, all the extra wiring and electrical devices fitted by a previous owner removed and orignal wires re-connected.  I was therefore quite surprised when it pretty much fired straight up.  Today I finally got round to bleeding the brakes (and discovered just how quickly you can deposit half a litre of brake fluid on the garage floor when the bleed nipples on the reconditioned calipers aren't tight and an eezibleed is applied!).  Anyway it now goes, stops and has a full compliment of working electrics.  Still plenty of fettling to do, but to celebrate I pumped the suspension up and fitted the Triumph Stag alloys which have been earmarked for it for a while (I do have centrecaps; just need to paint them before fitting)

1443955321_Daisyodf.thumb.JPG.10021f8b42fa143106a3af7019d033f2.JPG

I stuck an overhaul kit for my dual HIF4 on my MGB. Worked well. Also worth seeing if it has the poppet valves on the throttle discs and getting replacements without if so. Can't remember if the overhaul kit also includes float valve needles too. If not, probably worth getting them too.

All the SU stuff I've bought so far has been good quality. At least you only have one carb to rebuild!

My carb just had all the rubber o-rings degraded and the float needle with a big ridge not allowing it to seat properly.

With wonderful timing the Maestro is finished (well, as finished as it will be in my ownership) and ready for sale!  It ended up having a new nearside rear arch welded in as the original predictably fell apart when I took the underseal off the visible bits.  The interior has cleaned up really well, although the outside of the driver's seat bolster is a bit squashed, presumably from the 96 year old former owner levering himself in and out.  I got hold of a second hand carburettor from a friend and it now seems to run well, although the plan was to tax for April to do some on road testing before passing it on.  Suspect I'll end up having to re MOT in August now, so I just hope that doesn't throw up any nasty surprises.

The photos flatter a bit as usual (the paint on all arches is imperfect), but here it is now:

1783447276_E765YDOfront.thumb.JPG.001444f4b2b74f0f41bb0804c2bc7ac5.JPG

1980724438_E765YDOnsf.thumb.JPG.56181f60a93fb35392c8d84fb34a9f8f.JPG

1465854583_E765YDOosr.thumb.JPG.2080d6dd769dce34b8f54f80d99f4c53.JPG

285847234_E765YDOosfinterior.thumb.JPG.b5cd79682f2dc261aa6e0695381eadd9.JPG

E765YDO os dash.JPG

If anyone is actually interested in buying it (I'm looking at @aldo135 in particular) then please get in touch and we'll see what can be arranged for when circumstances change.

Not much has happened with the Allegro, as I planned to move the Maestro on before swapping it onto my classic policy and putting some miles on it (and MOTing it even though exempt),

The 1800 has now had the necessary welding done and a balljoint should be on its way to me but I guess everything's a bit of a lottery at the moment.  I need to put the bumper back on and radiator back in (had to come out to get clearance to remove the bolts for the bumper mounts!).  Here it is looking heavenward...

2031999117_WWU146Jonstilts.thumb.JPG.b9979275152d87744382acee7bd1128c.JPG

Potentially interested in Maestro, happy to wait behind those who had dibs though. I just want to try one out, as there was a lot of them in my family (well one aunt seemed to have half a dozen). Again, can't get anything until a sense of 'normality' returns. 

Looks really good!

9 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I would love that Maestro but I’m wondering wtf the point is atm. Whilst I have my old heaps for my enjoyment alone, I do enjoy a gathering and - with them all off - another banger seems pointless.

GLWS man. 

I'm certainly not expecting to sell it at the moment, and hopefully in post-apocolyptic times shows will also be allowed again.  I had hoped to run it through April to prove it and then take to the Drive It day gathering at Cowley on 26th prior to selling.

Thanks for the expressions of interest from all above though.  It would be good to sell it on here when circumstances allow.