BeEP's motors - Pride MOT'd, Cinq starts, C1 for sale.

BeEP

I couldn't remember it either; I lived 50 yards from Muller road from 1996 to 2001.  Mind you, my memory is terrible.

Mine is hazy at the best of times. I assume it spend most of its time in a lock up round the back but used to appear occasionally on Muller road. Never saw it moving. It was Blue if memory serves. The Memorial ground would be on your left as you traveled towards Filton Avenue lights. If you looked on a map - between Downend road and Filton Avenue. Think I 1st clocked it on a Saturday when I was caught in the rugby traffic and the queue for the lights put me right next to it. Must have been late 90's.

Really paid attention when I picked up an 105E with a 1800 FIAT twink in it as I wondered if the owner had any spares. Left a couple of notes but was ignored. Last saw it around 2007ish as that is when I flogged the Anglia.

A couple more ADO16s, saloons this time...

This was easily the most solid, unmolested 1100/1300 I've owned.  But as I'm not as much a fan of the Mk3 (even when finished in Blaze) as the Mk1 & 2 it was sold on after a few years

post-17876-0-19950600-1549742331_thumb.jpg

Conversely, this one looked nice but was rotten underneath (as most are).  Not my finest purchasing decision.  It emerged on ebay recently sounding much as I sold it, although the advert was strangely lacking in detail about its probkems.

post-17876-0-30161900-1549742538_thumb.jpg

What don't you like about the mk3s?

To be more accurate it's the mk3 SDL I don't like as much due to...  the formica dash with round dials (instead of the lovely strip speedo; deluxe carried over the simple central binnacle).  Also the seats (again, the deluxe continued with mk2 items), steering wheel (deluxe kept the big one - there's a theme developing here), lack of door bins etc.  On the plus side the later mk3s had stiffer displacers, which do make a difference.  Hence my mk3 deluxe is perfectly agreeable!

Also what's the deal with the indicators on the wing? The wings on mine don't look like they've ever had indicators but I thought they all did?

Only Mk2 had side repeaters (not Mk1 or Mk3) - see the various photos above.

Picture of 1800 slumbering under dust in the side of the shed added to original post.

I also forgot that I own a share (with Craig the Princess) of the vehicle which makes the collections possible! So here it is, LDV400 with 2.5 litres of turbocharged (not that you'd know it) Peugeot power.

N532VEG.JPG

And to finish on a grump; went to fit the new Volvo 850 tailgate struts today to find that ebay seller had done an ebay seller. Despite listing explicitly as for 850 estate (not just using ebay's rubbish fitment thingy) the sockets on the ends are much too small. Grrrr.

Possibly the numbest thing I've ever said before or since, but if you part with the ldv FIRST DIBS!!!! (Please, obviously)

Edit - where the fuck did you find it?? They all died years ago!

Edit edit - dibs with Craig the princess' permission as well obvs

Edit edit edit - a pre pilot 200 as well. Fuck it I'll just take dibs on your life when you get bored

Possibly the numbest thing I've ever said before or since, but if you part with the ldv FIRST DIBS!!!! (Please, obviously)

Edit - where the fuck did you find it?? They all died years ago!

Edit edit - dibs with Craig the princess' permission as well obvs

Edit edit edit - a pre pilot 200 as well. Fuck it I'll just take dibs on your life when you get bored

Leyland Daf 200 (and the 1982 Freight Rover and 1977 Sherpa campervan I also owned) all sold years ago.

We bought the LDV400 in 2008 to help with house moves.  Ex Transco and (I think) one private owner before us.  It's now a family pet and won't be going anywhere!

Love the ADO16s and that slumbering 1800!

Your 64 Austin is the same colour and trim as a 68 Automatic I had many years ago, which was an early Mk2, albeit with a crinkly grille - didn’t know Mk2s had the early grilles.

Was reminded of the unique appeal of these great little cars watching ‘Endeavour’ last night, Morse is piloting a Panda 1100, that A series engine/gearbox noise is unmistakable!

Was the Aqua estate rebuilt or broken up for parts? It didn’t seem to have faired too badly in a crash with a modern pick-up.

Was the Aqua estate rebuilt or broken up for parts? It didn’t seem to have faired too badly in a crash with a modern pick-up.

It was virtually given away, along with a lot of panels needed to restore it, to someone who promised to do just that.  It then appeared on ebay, without the panels surpisingly enough.  It's a sore point!  Sitll on DVLA register but who knows where/what remains of it now.

It stood up to the crash extremely well.  The Ford came flying up behind me as I overtook another vehicle (I was doing approx. 70), cut inside me almost taking the front off the vehicle I overtook, undertook me, lost control, went headlong into the central reservation and bounced broadside back across the carriageway.  I had to choose left or right and the grass verge seemed more inviting than the armco, hence the impact on the offside front corner.  I get very annoyed when people, even on here, suggest that if you get into a car with less than 5 NCAP stars you're going to die, and roll out the same old videos of Metros etc being driven into blocks of steel. I've yet to see many blocks of steel trunding along the road at speed, although I guess the Ford Ranger was close!

Incredibly jealous of those of you who managed to pick up prime BL chod in decent nick back when it was affordable.

I do too, but also thankful it's not now. Otherwise I'd be hording far too many vehicles.

Very much regret not getting something back in 2009 after graduating when things were a lot cheaper. But then by the same token even when I bought my MGB 1.5 years ago they were a lot more affordable. I paid £3.6k for mine and to get similar now I'd be looking nearer 5k. :o

Even Dolly 1300 are on the up. Knackered ones are above £1k now - if you can even find cars. Occasionally a few bargains around though, like the 1500 SE that only needed a small amount of light fettling, which was on the Triumph Dolomite club forum for under 1k.

I think this is the only remaining ado16 I've owned that I have pictures of (there were plenty of others before I owned a digital camera).  1966 Morris 1100, bought in 2006 just before the limeflower 1100 deluxe.  Engine was tired to say the least, so was replaced with a 1 litre a-plus from a Metro.  Said Metro cost £35 in 2001ish, was used by me for a couple of years then by my mum when her previous Metro expired.  Metros were far more common (and cheaper) even 13 years ago, so when it failed the MOT it was seen as an obvious donor for the 1100.

post-17876-0-71709500-1550000193_thumb.jpg

And just for SiC, the only MGB I've owned, albeit briefly.  Bought to get back on the road and sell on, which is exactly what I did.

post-17876-0-15577300-1550000423_thumb.jpg

And just for SiC, the only MGB I've owned, albeit briefly. Bought to get back on the road and sell on, which is exactly what I did.

attachicon.gifTUD76T 005 small.jpg

Did you like it? Apparently the rubber bumpers drive very different (i.e. not as well) to the chrome's. I still prefer the look of the rubber bumper ones and kinda wish I bought one in the end. However the chrome ones have appreciated far more, so probably won't regret it if I ever sell it!

Did you like it? Apparently the rubber bumpers drive very different (i.e. not as well) to the chrome's. I still prefer the look of the rubber bumper ones and kinda wish I bought one in the end. However the chrome ones have appreciated far more, so probably won't regret it if I ever sell it!

In a word, no! Sorry.  I've been in them before, and just don't get on with sitting so low (I appreciate there are lower cars!).  But at £375 (I think) I reckoned I couldn't lose.

I also don't do convertibles.  I think I was just born old.

Having passed the turquoise Volvo 850 onto my sister-in-law without getting the chance to play with it, today I did the logical thing and bought another!  Here it is, temporarily on Craig the Princess's drive alongside his 940 and the Saab of much mayonaisse.

post-17876-0-19074000-1550086595_thumb.jpg

Similar price to the turquoise one, short MOT, higher miles, lower spec (GLT), 10v rather than 20v but with recent expenditure on new exhaust, radiator and battery, so swings and roundabouts really.  What really sold it to me was the interior, whicjh is in very good condition and a veritable sea of blue

post-17876-0-48347500-1550086762_thumb.jpg

post-17876-0-12586600-1550086773_thumb.jpg

One problem undiscovered until I got home is that the headlight switch doesn't work properly.  Ok on sidelights, but switch to headlights and everything goes out.  Not uncommon it seems, and there was a recall (at least in Sweden and the USA, can't find confirmation for the UK) to replace it.  It seems new switches are rare/impossible to find, so worth a call to my local dealer I guess. Weirdly since playing with it the indicators have packed up too; presumably a blown fuse but I'll see in daylight.  I just can't see a logical connection but the indicators were certainly working until I tried to turn the headlights on!

2.5 10v isn't a bad engine - similar power to the 2.0 20v but much more relaxing to drive.  There's a few headlight switches on eBay for sensible money - presumably secondhand but might last a while at least.  I can't see a brand new one from a dealer being cheap...

Yeah, I looked at the ones on ebay.  Will probably have to go that route but a bit reluctant as it's a known problem so a fair chance a second hand one won't work either.  The dealer comment was to see if they would honour an ancient recall (if there was one in the UK) rather than buy the part from them; as you say they'll want a fortune.

I was quite impressed with the car & engine on the 70 mile drive home.  It's no ball of fire, but cruised nicely once up to speed.

Random question; did they do a 2.5 manual (either 10v or 20v)?

Yeah, I looked at the ones on ebay. Will probably have to go that route but a bit reluctant as it's a known problem so a fair chance a second hand one won't work either. The dealer comment was to see if they would honour an ancient recall (if there was one in the UK) rather than buy the part from them; as you say they'll want a fortune.

I was quite impressed with the car & engine on the 70 mile drive home. It's no ball of fire, but cruised nicely once up to speed.

Random question; did they do a 2.5 manual (either 10v or 20v)?

Yes, Richard of this forum has a manual 850 2.5 20v estate, it's very nice but again no ball of fire.

One problem undiscovered until I got home is that the headlight switch doesn't work properly.  Ok on sidelights, but switch to headlights and everything goes out.  Not uncommon it seems, and there was a recall (at least in Sweden and the USA, can't find confirmation for the UK) to replace it.  It seems new switches are rare/impossible to find, so worth a call to my local dealer I guess. Weirdly since playing with it the indicators have packed up too; presumably a blown fuse but I'll see in daylight.  I just can't see a logical connection but the indicators were certainly working until I tried to turn the headlights on!

Try this chap for your headlight switch:

Gordon Essex Motor Co

Volvo 850 spares

01843 225444

He's down in Margate Kent.

He does post items

Try this chap for your headlight switch:

Gordon Essex Motor Co

Volvo 850 spares

01843 225444

He's down in Margate Kent.

He does post items

Thanks, I'll certainly keep that for future reference.  The light problems (headlight and indicators) turned out to be the ignition swith not returning correctly after starting the engine; it just needs turning back a bit.  Stupid of me not to realise, as a friend's 850 which I drove 5 or 6 years ago had exactly the same problem.  I did say earlier in the thread that my memory is rubbish!

Well, the blue Punto passed its MOT yesterday.  Just two advisories for slight misting of oil on a shock absorber and one tyre being close to limit.  It really is good underneath, the tester was impressed and it's certainly never been welded.  Just a few bits could do with a rub down and cover with grease/paint/underseal/old oil etc.  Here it is looking very proud of itself (yes, I ran out of black pack before finishing the front bumper!)

post-17876-0-91365800-1550258622_thumb.jpg

It still needs the clutch release bearing changing, but is perfectly driveable if you don't mind using a bit of force into first and reverse.  I'll start a for sale thread shortly in case anyone wants to take it on as is for what it owes me with the release bearing supplied but not fitted.  Otherwise the plan is for a friend to give me a hand doing it in a couple of week's time.

post-17876-0-08923100-1550258772_thumb.jpg

post-17876-0-85301300-1550258835_thumb.jpg