NORTHERN POWERHOUSE II - Wed 21st August 7ish PM Littleborough OL15

Dave_Q

I think we can call that a success.

Myself, Mally, Ghosty, Cleon-Fonte, Conrad, Squire and JM in attendance.

Despite zero due diligence on my behalf to check out the suitability of the location it turned out to be a very nice pub indeed serving food that looked ABSOLUTELY PENG BLUD. Was a bit jealous of Conrad and Squires big sausages.

There was a surprisingly boisterous 80th party taking up most of the pub but we had a fairly quiet corner, and only really got disturbed briefly by a rogue conga line from said party.

We'll be back. 20th March OK for everybody?

But yes: the location has a spectacular view, and there is good road test potential much like Glossop in the warmer months. 

The pub is a lovely place, very cosy and homely, with classic decor and a lovely worn in feel. A proper old fashioned pub indeed, where everyone is welcome and greeted warmly. A novel feature is that the bar and kitchen operate independently of each other: the bar only sells drinks, to order food you pick a table then enter the kitchen to directly place an order - there's a till in there! Cards are accepted with no minimum spend. It's an enjoyable drive up there too, makes a change from the overwhelming convenience of Glossop, at least for me.
The food is classic pub grub, combined with an extensive specials board, with choices from pies, fish and meat dishes for the most part, with the odd curry, fish or pasta in there too. Dishes are generously portioned and have a home cooked feel and taste to them. They are also reasonably priced, at around £8-12 for the most part. The specials range massively in price: a 16oz steak was on offer today at £18.95. There is also an extensive and creative dessert menu. The food is well worth the prices IMO.

It's a very AS venue, and I think will make a great addition to the Northern Powerhouse calendar, much more so than AlabamaShrimp's attempt in Wakefield last year (where's he gone?). I'd be more than happy to have a second monthly meet here, and I'm happy to see it's pulled a couple of north-of-Manchester 'shiters out of the woodwork. Hopefully a few more will come along to future meets - I look forward to meeting you (and the Moog at long last as I don't think I ever have!).

It's a very AS venue, and I think will make a great addition to the Northern Powerhouse calendar, much more so than AlabamaShrimp's attempt in Wakefield last year (where's he gone?). I'd be more than happy to have a second monthly meet here, and I'm happy to see it's pulled a couple of north-of-Manchester 'shiters out of the woodwork. Hopefully a few more will come along to future meets - I look forward to meeting you (and the Moog at long last as I don't think I ever have!).

I'm about I just don't post much as I've got sod all to add most of the time.

Like the review and sounds a good place. I can't remember who I was speaking with but I decided to sod off any kind of meeting this side of Yorkshire as there's loads over here but none of them could be bothered to get off their arse so I thought fuck em :-)

I've been meaning to get to a Glossop one but only one of my cars will make it and cost a fortune in petrol. Still I might be able to make the next one at this pub.

I'm quite jealous of this thread. Having grown up in Todmorden we used to cycle over Blackstone Edge quite regularly and in my later teens visited that pub a couple of times. The views are amazing, glad to hear the pub is still doing well.

I recall coming back from my Grans' in Rochdale once and we had to detour over Blackstone Edge to get to Tod because there was a fire in Summit tunnel when an oil train had derailed. You could see the flames coming out of the ventilation shafts for miles. Apparently they were up to 100' high.

Not sure the 10 hour round trip from Norfolk is do-able for an evening meet.

I recall coming back from my Grans' in Rochdale once and we had to detour over Blackstone Edge to get to Tod because there was a fire in Summit tunnel when an oil train had derailed. You could see the flames coming out of the ventilation shafts for miles. Apparently they were up to 100' high.

I own a house across from the tunnel. we lived there at the time, my son still does. Everyone was evacuated for a while.

When it had been repaired they had a charity walk through the tunnel from Summit to Walsden.

I own a house across from the tunnel. we lived there at the time. Everyone was evacuated for a while.

When it had been repaired they had a charity walk through the tunnel from Summit to Walsden.

I was at junior school at the time and was supposed to go on that walk but I was bloody ill, my sister did go though and I saw the pics of inside the tunnel, the heat must have been incredible to melt all the brickwork.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...