Poorly Perodua Nippa

auntiemaryscanary

The crankshaft pulley has gone on my Nippa exactly the same as this: http://autoshite.com/topic/31186-miniature-harmonic-balancer-failure-and-keyhole-surgery-on-perodua-nippa/

Likewise I can't find a replacement part for love nor money and was getting despondent but my garage thinks it's fixable either a new one of approx size or weld up the old one.

Hopefully that'll keep it going til the May MOT but will have to think hard about keeping it if the tiebars and front shocks need replacing as I suspect they will.

Pulley being worked on next week so will see how that goes first.

Yon Americans do a CNC aluminium one for racing motors but a bit costly, i may have a welded one or maybe able to supply a couple of MMA nikkle rods for cast iron weldng for a few quids so you can do yours. A copy complete engine also possible.

Cheers, CNC ally one sounds good but God knows at what cost! My welding ability is non-existent unfortunately. Was it your Nippa in the post I linked too? If the garage man gets stuck I'll be back to you on the welded one if you've still got it.

For me it's the general lack of spares that is worrying - I like the car for it being so basic and to get anything as basic that is more mainstream/ parts availability I'd be looking at something 10 years older than the Nippa so I'd be up to a 30 year old car. My Nippa has only done 48k and rust isn't much an issue so far.

Try facebook, there are probably some Perodua groups that can help, possibly even ship stuff from Malaysia, they have quite a following over there.

There are some Malaysians on the Daihatsu performance FB group who ship parts over for UK Daihatsus.

Yes that was my Nippa with a broken harmonic balancer.

The pully - without rubber insert - is a standard size with a standard bore so if you measure the o/d i/d key size and belt V then these people can supply a standard industrial two part pulley to fit. The only issue is lack of space to do anything like measuring to see if the back of the pulley needs to be "dished" to clear something, Also I remember that the belt is not central in the pulley rim so that may be some alignment issue,  this alignment can also be an issue if you weld the old harmonic balancer two bits together.

http://www.bearingshopuk.co.uk/contact-us/

The lightweight ally pulleys from overseas are about $125 plus postage.

I thought mine was not too rusty but the MOT bloke offered to gave me my money back if I promised to scrap it and then frighteningly showed me how he could push a pencil through structural parts. 

Presently trying to get a BMW boxer gearbox to fit on Nippa engine to fit in a Ural motorcycle frame.

• 1 month later...

Nippa has failed. Emissions again. Last year it had all new HT leads, distributor cap etc plus 2nd cat welded in. The emissions are massively over limits. It's running really lumpy when cold and when warm it's running extremely rich. Garage fella is a bit flummoxed (partly as parts are a pain to get or not obtainable). I thought might be a temperature sensor but garage reckons not. He's keeping the Nippa for a few days to have a think what it might be. Does anyone have any ideas?post-27214-0-42928300-1553156066_thumb.png

If it is an O2 sensor, doesn't have to be a Nippa specific replacement, right? Or wrong? My mechanic wired one in he had 'laying around' to save me getting a new one for the Mazda.

o2 sensor? Or is the cat just cold? Sitting around idling through an MOT test is not a great way to get an older-style cat up to temp. Mind you, ours seems to sail through every year without issue, and it's always had a test in March.

Cheers will mention O2 sensor to garage. I drove it for 30 mins pre test at speed plus stuck in traffic (rad fan kicked in) so should have been hot enough. Although the original ineffective cat is still on a second "sports" cat has been welded in further down exhaust system. Apparently Hydrocarbons should be less than 0.2 - currently above 2.0!

• 6 months later...

Don't know how to change the title but it should read "(A lot less) poorly Perodua Nippa"

After knowing @Steve G had used MK3 Mira front shock absorbers on his Nippa I bought the same and with the help of a mate got them on today. Big thanks to @Steve G who provided invaluable help via messages and the re-assurance that Mira ones fitted.

The Nippa drives a million times better and the hideous constant clonking from the NSF has gone. The noise was getting me down and I'd seriously considered scrapping it but faith restored and I am really enjoying driving it again.

IMG_20191020_134605598.jpg

IMG_20191020_134533391_HDR.jpg

Edited by auntiemaryscanary
Numptiness

Glad to see you took some pictures I don't think about that until afterwards ! I have started a Facebook page but only 2 members so far. I did that mainly in case anyone was looking to sell a car or had parts. There is a Daihatsu club which has some useful info on. I think a Perodua only club might struggle to find many members !