Die hateful Charade Colleckshun Fred what’s to like.

Vince70

Now the clutch has gone on the Peugeot the other half wanted a cheap small car with 5 doors and what should come up locally but this piece of fine low mileage Japanese engineering.post-9282-0-01528500-1548602178_thumb.png

Well we thought it was worth a look especially as it only had one blurry picture and no information and it was only around the corner but she wasn’t over the moon with it as it was an auto and it has a badly painted Matt black roof and lots of small giffer dents but it seemed to drive ok so she bought it anyway plus he said we could have it for £400 so it was worth a punt for a car with nearly a full years ticket.

The only problem with it is being an auto it doesn’t get the cheap tax band and the interior really is built on a budget ( think ticktac boxes qualify plastic) but on the plus side the metal is so thin that the dents will just pop out with a blow from a rubber mallet and the black roof is already starting to flake so that should come off ok.

So does anyone know what to keep an eye on with a 3 pot Die hate full.

I just hope she grows to like it otherwise I’ve got to let her have my mini once I’ve put it back together but it will come in useful if I wanted to deliver takeaways.

we have got 2 of these in a his and hers style mainly due to being able to average 65mpg tank to tank where the estelle was scraping 28mpg as a daily car which evidently is well under half the £14 spent normally on a 70 mile round commute.

years ago, cars like these would have been a nightmare proposition for me but these days i only really see advantages mainly through how decently a good example just gets on with the job of being a competent for the early 2000s small car.

ive had 5 reasonably large adults in mine over a short distance which highlighted how narrow the body is but 4 in the car over a 400mile trip didnt feel difficult at all infact ive yet to own a car with more rear passenger space than one of these, it still rode well and had reasonable reserve on the motorway at the limit relative to its 23mph per 1000 top 

mine with 140k on the clock shows no sign that its covered that distance with nothing inside showing noticeable signs of wear or indeed any particular sign of drivetrain issues aside from a maladjusted handbrake, even the AC works which was a novelty in the summer albeit made itself felt when the compressor felt the need to sponge away power.

parts seem to be abit hard to find as breakers dont ever seem to have them in and otherwise there isnt much shopping around to be done as the supply lines seem to originate from the same places so prices seem to be the same 

one problem mine had was that the heat shield for the brakes rotted and spun round the hub carrier blocking the abs sensor which in these cars is less than ideal as the power steering defaults to full power assist so its worth cutting the shield off completely if its loose on the carrier imo.

Thanks for the advice on ownership of a Charade Jikovron actually she quite likes the car really and once the weather improves I think it will come up a treat with a bit of time and elbow grease.

On the roof front I’m going to take the Matt black off as it should come off easily with a plastic scraper but my guess is it’s got some lacquer peel underneath and if it’s bad I will either prep it properly and wrap the roof or mask it out and roller it back satin black to give it a slight stippling effect so it won’t look bad once it’s done.

The only problem I noticed so far is it has a very slight leak coming through on the top of the door seal which I think a bit of silicone grease will sort out and it needs a new aerial plus the plastic roof gutter trims seem to be missing so I might look out for a set.

I’ve just looked up the prices of them on the net and I didn’t realise that they make really good money so even with the slightly tatty bodywork it seems a steal at £400 but it doesn’t have any history apart from the last mot but it all checks out ok online.

We had been looking at all sorts of old chod and when we got the Peugeot you could get a good straight small car for around £400 but it seems the prices have been going up on old chod the last month or so which surprised me this time of year but it’s getting hard and the only cheap low mileage stuff seems to be non running Lagunas and Megane’s or knackered stuff with eml lights on the dash with a couple of weeks test.

Mrs Cade has one. I picked it up a few months ago- went down to the Lake District for it, filled the tank (£32) and flew back up the M6 at 95. Seriously. Took a quarter of a tank to Stirling and ran for a couple of weeks before it needed filled- I remember this because I got a phonecall asking how to open the fuel flap. It drives like a big car, much smoother than I'd have thought, and the wee 3 cyl sounds awesome when thrapped. £30 road tax too. Put a set of Kia Picanto wheels on it , as the tyres were low on the crusty Daihatsu alloys but otherwise it's had screenwash and been washed once.

Recommended.