Volvo estate bug

Unclefester

Well with the honda prelude going to a new home at the end of the week.with thanks to the members for marking that possible with help and advice. For the short time ive been here ive felt very welcomed and not made to be a outsider it's a gr8 community you have here. But a replacement will now be needed and I have a hankering for a volvo estate why i don't know maybe something in the water lol.post-26955-0-65567800-1548600646_thumb.jpg

Thank you just not sure on model what to avoid etc

Having had a few, the simplicity of the 740s still appeals. I have a phase 1 V70 which is very nice but just beginning to get complicated enough to be a ballache if it goes wrong. If I was looking (and I guess we always are to some extent) I would look at a 940 as they seem the perfect balance of simple enough to work on but mahoosive inside.

Yes i think a 940 would fit the bill for my everyday family needs. Just finding a gd one lol.

Regards lewis ✌️

Worth keeping an eye on the Volvo owners forum, they aren't usually cheap on there but the odd bargain pops up and most have been well looked after on there. But be warned, some strange folk inhabit it.............

You definitely cannot go wrong with a Volvo... unless its electrics hate you.

That's the only problem with a Volvo we've had. Father's current W reg V70 is perfect in every way.

Any estate like the 740, 940(?) etc. should suit you down to the ground.

GLWS

You definitely cannot go wrong with a Volvo... unless its electrics hate you.

That's the only problem with a Volvo we've had. Father's current W reg V70 is perfect in every way.

Any estate like the 740, 940(?) etc. should suit you down to the ground.

GLWS

Thanks buddy for the info was in talks with the guy about this one.post-26955-0-89619100-1548694781_thumb.jpgpost-26955-0-89619100-1548694781_thumb.jpgpost-26955-0-89619100-1548694781_thumb.jpg

An 850 on the drive aswell in that picture...is a possible sign that the 960 has probably been looked after.

I imagine the 3.0 engine would be a bit gutsy on fuel. My S60 T5 is a bit gutsy on the fuel consumption front, but 260bhp is impressive in 3rd gear at the correct time...& addictive sometimes, the sound of that 5 cylinder howling..lovely. However, I still would not mind smoking around in that 960, comfy comfy big cars Volvos.

P.s...My S60 is my first ever Volvo that I have owned & I have to say, every time I drive it, I like it more & more.

If getting a V70 (phase 2 model) estate,

Late 2004 (05 model year facelift) are the ones to have, & if you want performance & sleeper looks...the 2.4 T5 is the one to have, especially in Manual flavour...the Auto's are a more common however, I believe that the auto boxes are a bit ropey as they get older.

I was originally looking at Focus ST's when my Volvo popped up on my radar.

I do miss my V70 tdi, and the V70 T5 we had in 2016. Both cars I wish I’d kept. Super reliable, comfy, barge like creations that always pleases.

I sold my V70 2.5 turbo a few months ago. It was a P reg phase 1 auto.

Although the car I replaced it with is perfectly fine - a 2003 Volvo C70 2.0 GT turbo auto, I do miss the old V70 and I'm keeping half an eye open for another one.

Fester, if you do opt for a V70, those built after 1999 will probably have the electronic throttle module. They can be a problem and are expensive to fix.

Having said that, my C70 has one fitted and is no problem whatsoever, but I think the problem was recognised and fixed by the time my car was built. If I'm wrong with that info, feel free to correct me people.

I ended up buying a 940 about two months after joining here (Funny how it all works out) Mine gave me a fair bit of grief to start off with as described in my 'Web Of Shite' thread but now it's up and running well I've become very fond of it, great cars.

Fingers crossed one.comes up think it would suit my needs

Volvo eh? The SVM know a bit about Volvos...

That 960 should be no worse on fuel than a 940 2.3LPT regardless of transmission but will likely be Swedish built so check the front floor pans and under the battery tray for grot. Same places go on 740s but Belgian built Volvos like the 740s,early 940s and 850s are overall less susceptible to tinworm. 850 wings rot though but phase 1 V70 ones don't.

Generally electrics etc. Are fairly robust but Volvos last long enough to wear out the things that other cars don't so fuel pump relays, distributor Hall sensors and solid state Ignition Control Modules can and do give problems. Later cars are better in this regard but add complexity. ABS modules go senile on 900s and 850s and all suffer from the infamous odometer cog of cheese. On Redblock powered cars (240/740/940) HGF is possible due to the gasket wearing out but access for spannering is ridiculously easy on these and even then big FWD cars are generally easy to repair and maintain.

It sounds like I'm being quite critical but really on a big Volvo so few things give actual trouble and all the common problems like those above are well documented and generally easy to sort.

Pick of the bunch for me is an '87 on 2.3 litre 740 auto estate but really any of them should give many years of trouble free service.

Volvo eh? The SVM know a bit about Volvos...

That 960 should be no worse on fuel than a 940 2.3LPT regardless of transmission but will likely be Swedish built so check the front floor pans and under the battery tray for grot. Same places go on 740s but Belgian built Volvos like the 740s,early 940s and 850s are overall less susceptible to tinworm. 850 wings rot though but phase 1 V70 ones don't.

Generally electrics etc. Are fairly robust but Volvos last long enough to wear out the things that other cars don't so fuel pump relays, distributor Hall sensors and solid state Ignition Control Modules can and do give problems. Later cars are better in this regard but add complexity. ABS modules go senile on 900s and 850s and all suffer from the infamous odometer cog of cheese. On Redblock powered cars (240/740/940) HGF is possible due to the gasket wearing out but access for spannering is ridiculously easy on these and even then big FWD cars are generally easy to repair and maintain.

It sounds like I'm being quite critical but really on a big Volvo so few things give actual trouble and all the common problems like those above are well documented and generally easy to sort.

Pick of the bunch for me is an '87 on 2.3 litre 740 auto estate but really any of them should give many years of trouble free service.

Thank you for that really informative not information enjoyed it.

Regards Lewis