Shitting in the shallow end. *Bile Hatred* pseudo collection.

Jim Bell

3 hours ago, UltraWomble said:

s-l1600.jpg

I are dissapoint  - you no buy massey drive Cav.

For at least 20 years I've quietly coverted a 4x4 cavy,  and in particular the turbo.  I'll never own one.....I tried to join an owners forum about 12 years ago and they banned me after 4 posts, because I said, I didn't have one, and with my budget as it was I might end up with a 2.5 V6 hatch instead. 

4 minutes ago, New POD said:

For at least 20 years I've quietly coverted a 4x4 cavy,  and in particular the turbo.  I'll never own one.....I tried to join an owners forum about 12 years ago and they banned me after 4 posts, because I said, I didn't have one, and with my budget as it was I might end up with a 2.5 V6 hatch instead. 

Imagine what they might have done if you said you had a 1.7 TD hatch!

43 minutes ago, SiC said:

Tried double declutching into second? Not ideal but should prolong the box for longer.

Yeah. Makes no difference. Sure it should, but it doesn't. 

It's only really an issue on the downshift. It crunches changing up, but not as bad as you're usually speed matched well enough anyway. 

Google advised to check the duck bills. 

Well, their little houses cost a fortune if you want one for your pond, I know that much. 

I'm just joking, I know what duck bills are in this context really. I looked it up on the internet. 

There are two holes in the scuttle panel like this. They are hard to access without taking the wipers and top scuttle plastics off. 

IMG_20210205_113153__01.thumb.jpg.2be818979717a12d6dcb031b822190ce.jpg

In these holes should sit two plastic drain bastards, that drain through a stupid slit, that can be blocked by one leaf. 

IMG_20210205_114603.thumb.jpg.f2bf4fd3634a7201ac11bbbab1e07742.jpg

They are meant to function thus. 

If they've never been cleaned or cleared, they may be blocked. 

To access them without dismantling shit in the rain, you will need a selection of random improvised tools. 

IMG_20210205_112515.thumb.jpg.16fc474de76cc635b93830dce6e621a5.jpg

And if you were any good at HOOK A DUCK (bill) you might be able to fish and dig them out. 

It helps if they are absolutely backed solid with matter because then you can stab them with an old flatblade. 

IMG_20210205_113535.thumb.jpg.a2e3248cc3994daea2fa59d42d8cc308.jpg

IMG_20210205_113134.thumb.jpg.813b19e53c9680fbeb97cf01a951c9ae.jpg

IMG_20210205_113754.thumb.jpg.e4735c7886d636659b36eec84ee3bfc0.jpg

IMG_20210205_113924.thumb.jpg.ac33d935c3e252a6ee7a3573a39170ba.jpg

So yeah. If you have a Fiat and your carpets are wet, check these mothers. 

I don't see any requirement to reinstall them, they're a shit design imo. A hole functions much better with no maintenance. 

So I just popped them through next doors letter box. 

2 hours ago, Jim Bell said:

I don't see any requirement to reinstall them, they're a shit design imo. A hole functions much better with no maintenance. 

Manufacturers install them to prevent fumes entering the cabin as they're often around intake vents for the cabin fans. They wouldn't install them if they didn't have to as they can save a lot of money on a production line - especially important to someone like Fiat.

That being said, most chuck them away on their cars (not just on the Panda) when they get clogged up like this and people haven't died...

• Jim Bell changed the title to CLIMBING in the shallow end.
  • Jim Bell changed the title to Shitting in the shallow end.

The old bird has  been treated to:

Some welding to the bottom of the front arches,

Near rear wheel cylinders,

New master cylinder. 

Handbrake cables. 

Clean up, free up and lube of brakes all round. 

New front shocks. 

New front top mounts. 

A new rear spring. 

A CV boot. 

An engine mount. 

A new front section of exhaust. 

And he hit the horns with a hammer till one of them started to work. 

Far anyone keeping track (mainly for me keeping track)

What's been done since purchase:

New Toyo T1rs all round. 

Fixed intermittent wiper function. 

Fixed windows electric windows. 

Fixed horn. 

New front shocks. 

New Bosch wipers (lol)

New rear spring,

Welding on front arch bottoms,

New rear cylinders, 

New master cylinder, 

CV boot,

Front section of exhaust, 

New front top mounts. 

One engine mount. 

Handbrake cables. 

Clean up, free up and lube of brakes all round. 

Erm. 

Think that's everything so far. 

1 minute ago, Split_Pin said:

That is one fine looking Cavalier, slab wheels suit it well. Its had a whole lot of love from you too. Bonus for being a diesel.

Hope to get mine back soon.

Fingers crossed for you man. I hope you can get it squared up. It looks like such a well cared for car over the years.  

As an aside, it's still got a quarter of the tank it set off to collect @Split_Pins Cavalier from Mcoli loaded with (see earlier in Fred). I think that's more to do with the lack of use during lockdown but I'm confident it's getting mpg in the forties. The 1.7td lump hurries it along well enough and it cruises at 79.9 mph beautifully. It'll never beat modern diesels on speed or economy, but it's chock full of character and charm.  

I just played the video to see if you'd left the blasphemy in, and couldn't hear it anything.  Sorry about the ears, @Jimbob McGregor.

Came downstairs to find Mrs L1 coming back inside looking confused and agitated.

I'd had the sound coming out of the hifi over Bluetooth, and she thought some twat was blaring their horn outside 🤣

Cav feels grand, I enjoyed a little run out the other night and was surprised to be up to 80 before remembering that I was driving it to test the brakes.