Shitting in the shallow end. *Bile Hatred* pseudo collection.

Jim Bell

16 minutes ago, Inspector Morose said:

Issue with remapping them is that the gearboxes are made of cheese. They don’t seem to be able to consistently handle much more power than what the titchy-diesel originally puts out without spitting their gear trains out the side of the casing.

Well that's good to know man cheers. I knew it shortened the life of clutches, but if it's gonna explod the gearbag I think I'll save my £200. 

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

Doblo 1.3 Multijet mpvs put out 84hp rather than 70.Mine has done 150k miles without any noticeable problems.Are they the same box?

I don't think they are. IIRC the Panda's box was bespoke and built 'just strong enough' to cope with the proposed power outputs. It does make me think that a diesel Panda wasn't on the cards till very late on in the design process as a lot of the specs for the diesel were right on the edge of specification for various components.

1 hour ago, DVee8 said:

Definitely not man. The Trustpilot reviews are hit and miss and most of them seem greatly worrying. 

22 minutes ago, Aston Martin said:

Are you enjoying the world's smallest wing mirrors?

Theyre not THAT bad. They are small but not troublingly so. Worst thing is the seats,  Theres just not enough length on the seat bottoms, theyre too high up, and theres no lumbar support.

Two planes of adjustment (slide and seat back angle) just isnt enough for me.

Doblo seats seem to be much better. They have loads of adjustability and a bit more side support.  Wonder if anyone has ever tried to put one in.

Look at those side bolsters and extra handles. 

Screenshot_20191227_112330.thumb.jpg.ecf66e358f81c1e1ab1d746c8be48fd6.jpg

5 minutes ago, DVee8 said:

You could pick up a bluespark box from e bay from £79.00

I'm not an expert, but the internet suggests that tuning boxes just up the fueling, which though effective for performance in the short term, can cause all sorts of problems. I think I'll steer clear and just run it stock. A pro remap would be ideal if there was space in the tolerances but all available knowledge seems to suggest that they're near the edge of what's manageable when stock.

So I'm not keen to push my luck. 

13 minutes ago, Aston Martin said:

My 500 seats are a bastard nuisance. The bolsters are that high up I have to do a masonic dance to get out.

I was hoping 500 seats would be better. Did you have to chop the mounts to get yours in man? I couldn't see mention of it in the 4x4 thread. 

1 minute ago, Jim Bell said:

I'm not an expert, but the internet suggests that tuning boxes just up the fueling, which effective for performance in the short term, can cause all sorts of problems. I think I'll steer clear and just run it stock. A pro remap would be ideal if there was space in the tolerances but all available knowledge seems to suggest that they're near the edge of what's manageable when stock.

Sensible words from Jim Bell … quoted for posterity, it doesn't happen often ;)

I've used tuning boxes on a vw tdi and my last w203 cdi Merc. They improved performance and mpg on both with no adverse effects (the Merc was scrapped because it was a piece of shit, nothing to do with the tuning box).

2 hours ago, Jim Bell said:

I was hoping 500 seats would be better. Did you have to chop the mounts to get yours in man? I couldn't see mention of it in the 4x4 thread. 

500 front seats are better.... However the 4x4 is alot higher. It'll be fine in a multijet.

Three brackets fit.... But you need to remove the weird panda bracket... And angle grind the 500 bracket off.

5 hours ago, Jim Bell said:

I'm not an expert, but the internet suggests that tuning boxes just up the fueling, which though effective for performance in the short term, can cause all sorts of problems. I think I'll steer clear and just run it stock. A pro remap would be ideal if there was space in the tolerances but all available knowledge seems to suggest that they're near the edge of what's manageable when stock.

Just think of it as a modern day A35 but more practical. And Italian(Polish). And more economical. Thinking again, don't bother.
No do! Look, they have 'just enough' power as they are so you can have fun with what's available, the nose heavy front of the diesel is predictably understeery that you can front drift up to a corner then just turn in using the throttle. Handling is bonny for such a mundane car and with a slick gear change (as long as it hasn't gone to shit) makes for some fun, if not that fast, motoring. 
If James Hunt was alive now, he'd have a Panda diesel.

They've got a horrible gearknob though. And you can't even pull the knob off. You have to cut it off. Like some obscene German sex canibal. 

I'm tempted, because the plastic knob is just so dead and grim to slap against your palm. Completely ruins the race car feel.