Shitting in the shallow end. *Bile Hatred* pseudo collection.

Jim Bell

So because the car was without mot, I stuck it into somewhere very local rather than my usual trusted 10 star amazing place. 

I can only assume that the place I took it saw that it was wanting in the areas of tax and mot by some months and they decided to pull down my jeans. 

2 rear shocks, handbrake fix and the egr done in two days flat and only set me back two thirds of the cost of the car. 

Still, it's all done and officially on the road now. 

It's misery spec. 

No roof rails even. 

It has a cd player, front ew and Pas (with HORRIBLE city mode). That's about it. Cloth seats. Steels and trims. 

IMG_20191224_122845-01.thumb.jpeg.86846cee543c5307b1c41ab0f5a2e4d8.jpeg

IMG_20191224_121809.thumb.jpg.ce36719b01a32fbefd23f46837245d65.jpg

IMG_20191224_121803.thumb.jpg.476f1e82bbe27bc7d6adf3a4036e2742.jpg

Partially boiled potatocam DERV shot. 

IMG_20191224_124425.thumb.jpg.56cc8300bb1bb22cd375efa92f49b2a5.jpg

Dealer. 

IMG_20191224_122828.thumb.jpg.f31c4f35b4b2c4202363e4132e566a97.jpg

On the upside it's getting 60 odd mpg round the doors and it's £2.38 a month to tax. 

The seats are uncomfortable but I like it. 

1 minute ago, Broadsword said:

That is a bit of a list, but very doable over a day with all the right tools and parts to hand. Looking forward to hearing it’s on the road. What’s it like on a motorway by the way?

It's fine on the motorway. Unbelievably quiet for what it is. Even at illegal speeds the cabin fan is the loudest noise even on the lowest setting. It's sprightly and perky too. The 1.3 multijet seems like a bit of a peach to he fair. 

41 minutes ago, Jim Bell said:

It's misery spec. 

No roof rails even. 

It has a cd player, front ew and Pas (with HORRIBLE city mode). That's about it. Cloth seats. Steels and trims. 

You say these things like they are in some way bad. Apart from the PAS which probably isnt really needed on a car that size its all good.

3 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

You say these things like they are in some way bad. Apart from the PAS which probably isnt really needed on a car that size its all good.

Quite the opposite man. Id far prefer it if it also had manual front windows too. Simpler the better pls. Less to go wrong!

Hooray for getting the MOT so fast. I like this car lots for some reason. The Lupo is exceedingly loud at ideal and around town but on the motorway it is quite ok. It is remarkably sorted on the cruise though which is amazing for something so small. York to London, York to Wales no sweat. The London run many times in fact. These presumably have the electric power steering familiar to the Punto et al. I think excessive use of City mode hastens the demise of the system.

22 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

Hooray for getting the MOT so fast. I like this car lots for some reason. The Lupo is exceedingly loud at ideal and around town but on the motorway it is quite ok. It is remarkably sorted on the cruise though which is amazing for something so small. York to London, York to Wales no sweat. The London run many times in fact. These presumably have the electric power steering familiar to the Punto et al. I think excessive use of City mode hastens the demise of the system.

Yeah, I've no idea who uses city mode but it's massively overlight normally. Turning city mode on just makes the car seem Haunted. You loose all feel of anything at all. 

The electric steering firms up at motorway speeds, which is nice. It's a modern city car really but it does well enough on the big long roads too. 

The turbo helps, obv. 

10 minutes ago, Jim Bell said:

Yeah, I've no idea who uses city mode but it's massively overlight normally. Turning city mode on just makes the car seem Haunted. You loose all feel of anything at all. 

The electric steering firms up at motorway speeds, which is nice. It's a modern city car really but it does well enough on the big long roads too. 

The turbo helps, obv. 

Wife had a 500 with city mode, only thing with weirder feeling was the first time I drove a 4WS Prelude and it felt like the axis of rotation was in the wrong place.

Unlike City mode, once you’ve sussed it the Honda was amazeballs.

Setting handbrake on these - slacken the cable nut off a lot under the centre console, press the brake pedal down a few times, tighten cable up until it's tightish. There are auto adjusters in the drums, you can't even really adjust them from outside the drum using the bolt holes (you can wind it in close enough with the drum off like when you fit new ones).

Mine has just passed it's MOT on two ARB links and handbrake crap on one side. My 1.2i gets about 50 mpg average.

I do need to try one of these pandas at some point. 

There was one in Edinburgh on gumtree for £200 with the rear axle literally held together with muckle zip ties to stop the spring flying out from the now rotted out perch. I was ready to drive up there with a new axle (£150 ready to fit), Jack, stands and tools and change it in the street but it sold almost instantly. 

19 hours ago, Jim Bell said:

The turbo helps, obv. 

I always use it! I admit it is weird but you get used to it and with big bubbly tyres it feels like you’re driving a cloud.

2 hours ago, hairnet said:

shit radio shit mirrors

even the pez will do mid late 40s hammered everywhere

ace car - shame it was a bit narrow for a fat fucker :)

Have to agree on all counts. Shoulder Room is oddly limited. As is knee room. Fat fuckers like me do tend to feel a bit jammed in. Loads of headroom though!

18 minutes ago, Jim Bell said:

Have to agree on all counts. Shoulder Room is oddly limited. As is knee room. Fat fuckers like me do tend to feel a bit jammed in. Loads of headroom though!

It's a safety feature; we're wedged in so less likely to go flying round the cabin. 

They've had a proper go at that test haven't they, at least you're on the go and enjoying the savings from here on in.

I'd love to find an excuse to buy one of these for 'her indoors' but frankly I think her 9 mile each way commute would bork the turbo and the EGR in  a matter of months so just a couple of tickets for me if/when you develop back problems from driving it!

Strangely, they’re quite resilient to the daily short distance commute but don't get the one with the dpf (red lettering on back instead of blue IIRC). 
As I’ve said, ours has been with us for 12 years and counting. The reason it hasn’t been replaced is that we can’t find a car that’s as practical and economical for the size. It’s been our wedding car, it’s done trips around the country and further afield and taken it with aplomb. It’s been the wife’s commuter car, a van when we needed to move house.

All that it’s needed over this time is two rear shock absorbers, two front wishbones, a set of disks for the front and a few sets of front pads. The rear drums have never been apart and have no need to be. It works, it does work and it does it well.

Don’t get me wrong. It’s not that fabled “ideal” car. It can do distance but others do it better. It can carry loads but my Saab can knock it into a cocked hat for that. But for what it is, it really can put up a good fight against the more sophisticated competition out there. Simplicity brings its benefits too. What has gone wrong has been fixed on the side of the road or on the drive. It is car distilled into it’s basic form. A practical, no nonsense machine that can move four people and their goods wherever they need to go.

yeah, like ‘em.

Rear end Boxing Day bonanza. 

IMG_20191226_115225.thumb.jpg.b15e340afd48115e92fc0ba22e7dde80.jpg

Big enough for shopping. 

IMG_20191226_115150.thumb.jpg.f1842f8028a49e715aad4dbf8692ab51.jpg

I don't think anyone has ever been in here. 

IMG_20191226_133538.thumb.jpg.f59cf38f11de0c55e3d07cf8eb0109de.jpg

IMG_20191226_115210.thumb.jpg.08d34299a5c93a4847281b0463dee64a.jpg

Power plant! 

Oil is good. PO said he changed it every 3000 miles, but I'm gonna do the oil and filters just for peace of mind. 

IMG_20191226_115630.thumb.jpg.5ca22716bdc691d7f3209acd2c59d9bc.jpg

I've decided that I like it. 

Seats are uncomfortable for me but fucking hell, the SLK was uncomfortable for me and I managed nearly a year in that. 

I've even installed my giffer screen jet aligning tool. 

IMG_20191226_121516.thumb.jpg.581780a2ba45b8f8172d9b62022e55d8.jpg

IMG_20191226_121526.thumb.jpg.135e7aa7a17d0445efaf1810a3a207b2.jpg

"Coz if you like then you should pop a pin in it, well if you like it you pop a ruddy pin in it."

I think I'm gonna go for a 100hp remap too. Be interesting to see how the clutch copes with the extra beans. 

Verdict: 

It will car. I will car it.