Shitting in the shallow end. *Bile Hatred* pseudo collection.

Jim Bell

Handbrake trick with pandas. It sounds a bit brutal but try reversing then stopping the car as quick as possible using the handbrake alone. It seems to re-align the drums chakras somehow and might squeeze you a pass on that front. (IIRC it was an old fiatforum trick)

Only  had mine twelve years so far (from new) so I can’t tell you what they’re like.

4 hours ago, Inspector Morose said:

Handbrake trick with pandas. It sounds a bit brutal but try reversing then stopping the car as quick as possible using the handbrake alone. It seems to re-align the drums chakras somehow and might squeeze you a pass on that front. (IIRC it was an old fiatforum trick)

Only  had mine twelve years so far (from new) so I can’t tell you what they’re like.

Attempted.

We took my ECP EGR up to Kwikfit. Who were really nice. 

IMG_20191220_200115.thumb.jpg.ca9b0cfc24c4d485658ac8a53d74dfeb.jpg

Had a chat with the tester who said they can't fit customer parts. Only their own. And if it fails they can't change that till the BIG TECH lad is back at work in a few days time. As it was the last test slot of the day there would be no twiddle or retest time. Offered to move my test till after the weekend to aid me in changing the egr and adjusting the handbrake over the weekend which will also be a fail.  

Nice helpful chat. 

I didn't see the point in testing just to get known fails so it'll be popped in the lockup and tested after the weekend. 

The EGR is a water cooled jobbie that seems to be intertwined around the rest of the engine. Bit of an arse to de-tangle but not impossible. 
Other things I can think of is the actuator on the turbo sticks (TADTS) but can be freed of relatively simply. In fact most jobs on them are pretty simple (100HP excepted) so any of their little foibles aren’t much to loose sleep over.

Always love a Jim Bell collection mission even if @Bucketeer seems to have done most of the legwork on this one (Hat doffed)

I actually love these little 1.3 multijet Pandas, it was a toss up between one of them and the Lupo SDI back when I was looking for the ultimate budget eco-car and the Lupo won purely on the basis I'm more comfortable with VW's and their foibles and a nice one turned up before I could find a Panda. 

RE the EGR, I know nothing about them on this car but I will say  I've never had one that couldn't be made to work again with a can of Mr muscle and a bottle brush/screwdriver combo. Hopefully you've kept your ECP receipt!

8 minutes ago, Shirley Knott said:

Always love a Jim Bell collection mission even if @Bucketeer seems to have done most of the legwork on this one (Hat doffed)

I actually love these little 1.3 multijet Pandas, it was a toss up between one of them and the Lupo SDI back when I was looking for the ultimate budget eco-car and the Lupo won purely on the basis I'm more comfortable with VW's and their foibles and a nice one turned up before I could find a Panda. 

RE the EGR, I know nothing about them on this car but I will say  I've never had one that couldn't be made to work again with a can of Mr muscle and a bottle brush/screwdriver combo. Hopefully you've kept your ECP receipt!

I was just thinking about diesel Pandas the other day and wondering it really would be the alternative to the Lupo SDI as super frugal transport if ever the Lupo died in a massive way. I hope that is not for a good while but I am interested to hear more about these diesel Pandas as a note for the future.

4 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

I was just thinking about diesel Pandas the other day and wondering it really would be the alternative to the Lupo SDI as super frugal transport if ever the Lupo died in a massive way. I hope that is not for a good while but I am interested to hear more about these diesel Pandas as a note for the future.

I think the pull with the Lupo's is that that engine set up is pretty much the the same as the 1.9 derv lump that made VW famous only with a shorter throw crank and shaved head to make it a 1.7.  If looked after and the belts are changed on time they seem capable of doing 500k and more without major intervention, that appeals to me.

RE the Panda's, they're interesting and I recon they have the potential to out do the Lupo/Arosa's by a few MPG's assuming a side by side test with both cars operating good thermostats etc, but then there's slightly more to go wrong (Turbo, rear beams that rot etc)

Either way they're pretty much the two cheapest cars to run available on a sub £1k budget, the £30 tax helps too. Both make interesting prospects IMO.

All the dash lights on my grande Punto multijet  van were on . YouTubed "  fiat doblo  flashing oil light fix ..." . Floor throttle , key on, brake pressed on 7 times in 60 seconds...key off . Wait 60 seconds ...key on,  start engine .. Well the engine light and all the others were out...but not the flashing oil light ..Bollox ..Did it again and fuck me even the oil light stopped flashing !!  Ran like a sack of shit for a few minutes though...Might work on yours too?  

Recap. Imagine it's yesterday

Well while the car is finally in for MOT. I best pop out and do a bit Xmas shopping while I wait. 

Wonder what's in here. 

FB_IMG_1577033373710.thumb.jpg.7ea5c983f2cf553ad8272d8eb2dbaffa.jpg

Hmmmmm. Looks a bit weird. I'd better have a look round. 

FB_IMG_1572614673129.thumb.jpg.478e2eb93cf88d150bbb71154ea165e6.jpg

Don't need any of those I don't think. 

FB_IMG_1576792154223.thumb.jpg.151ae8b90296577715d1585ad7be6e16.jpg

Oh god I don't need any of that. 

I wonder if they've got a food section. 

IMG_20191224_133031.thumb.jpg.d89da1b49f042413c1e1df18f099df64.jpg

errrrrrr 

IMG_20191224_133006.thumb.jpg.9395aa960cde15d3e6bb56f2104399b8.jpg

I wonder how the car is getting on..........

Screenshot_20191224_133214_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.5f987c702a044bbd5630424b1911e333.jpg

Not too bad. Shouldn't take long.