Shitting in the shallow end. *Bile Hatred* pseudo collection.

Jim Bell

Bugger... Sorry to hear it's giving you bother already. Check I've not left a screwdriver in it somewhere as that was the result of Split_Pin's OMGDEATHNOISE when I sold him a Rover last year. Hopefully it's an easy fix otherwise.

No bother man, it's a second hand car and your description was absolutely accurate. The noise only developed once I was off and away. Hopefully it's a simple pulley because I REALLY like booting it around.

No bother man, it's a second hand car and your description was absolutely accurate. The noise only developed once I was off and away. Hopefully it's a simple pulley because I REALLY like booting it around.

Can I only ever sell cars to you and not the endless queue of Liam Neeson impersonating types that seem to think £300 is a gateway to dealer level service.

Jim - I looked at this car and noticed the noises.

I spoke with a friend who knows these cars very well. He did say it’s highly unlikely to be anything other than an idler pulley or water pump making noises. Apparently the super chargers sound HORRENDOUS when they start to go therefore it’s unlikeky to be that.

It didn’t put me off the car. It was the size that stopped me from making an offer when I saw it.

Good luck!

Do 15s even fit these? I'm wondering about bigger brakes for the spurty version n all.

15s is as low as you can go and what came on the Mini One at launch and subsequent non-flashy models. As I understand it, the only version that got BIGGER brakes was John Cooper Works (JCW) special editions. They definitely can't take a 15s but then I couldn't afford one of those in a million years so it's not a sadness I'll ever have to endure.

Chris Harris chats about a top spec one at about 1:00 on this vid

https://youtu.be/T4zwSN_ILK4

Something else that needs a simple fettle is the gearbag selector. It's stiff as a scotch on the rocks and won't centre of its own accord. I'll get round to popping the airbox out and lubing up the knobbly bits if a pulley change dispatches NOISE.

15s is as low as you can go and what came on the Mini One at launch and subsequent non-flashy models. As I understand it, the only version that got BIGGER brakes was John Cooper Works (JCW) special editions. They definitely can't take a 15s but then I couldn't afford one of those in a million years so it's not a sadness I'll ever have to endure.

Chris Harris chats about a top spec one at about 1:00 on this vid

Furry muff. I've never paid attention to these bmw 0.5 series as I can't stand them.

Does sound very much like a pulley/idler bearing gone bad, fingers crossed it's no more than that.

Any difference if you turn a/c on or off?

Stiff gear selector likely just needs oiling in the right place:

https://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-mini-cooper-s/330354-r53-stiff-heavy-gear-shift.html

https://www.mini2.com/forum/maintenance-mini-care/196006-mega-stiff-gear-changing.html

Bummer re the wheel.

Does sound very much like a pulley/idler bearing gone bad, fingers crossed it's no more than that.

Any difference if you turn a/c on or off?

Stiff gear selector likely just needs oiling in the right place:

https://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-mini-cooper-s/330354-r53-stiff-heavy-gear-shift.html

https://www.mini2.com/forum/maintenance-mini-care/196006-mega-stiff-gear-changing.html

Bummer re the wheel.

No difference with the air con button pressed man but I think you're likely right. We'll soon find out as I've ordered one from the old eBay.

Yeah, the lubing looks easy enough, even for me!

Have you tired squirting wd40 in the various pulleys to see if they quieten down . This should identify it . Identify it or set it on fire one of the two .

I really like these. I was seriously tempted by this one but cars just make me sad just now so I didn’t bother .

Hopefully shouldn’t be too horrible to get sorted .

With the seats down you can get 4 16s in the back of a Bini.

Roomy.

post-5435-0-91718300-1549727136_thumb.jpg

They look better on the car though.

post-5435-0-96234200-1549727201_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-68180500-1549727230_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-76793900-1549727255_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-65999900-1549727285_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-58468500-1549727307_thumb.jpg

It's only an inch difference and really I wanted steels. The price was right on these local alloys though so pulled the trigger. I think it looks much improved.

But ..........

Even carrying an extra payload of water, you can still get a set of 17s in the back.

Impressive really. I thought I might have had to put one in the passenger seat.

Pulley change is set for Monday. Will have a run at the gearbox end linkages too. See if the shift can be lightened up a bit.

post-5435-0-06818700-1549727828_thumb.jpg