Shitting in the shallow end. *Bile Hatred* pseudo collection.

Jim Bell

At home did checked the COMPUTRON MPG O METER..

That many miles. 

IMG_20200130_161621.thumb.jpg.67475a83f68153e99946648432ef675d.jpg

IMG_20200130_161626.thumb.jpg.52f4d781c563f40de7d4b7d2a0057a68.jpg

That many mpgs. 

Pen and paper maths suggest it's over reading slightly, but don't they all? Its not far off right though. 

Conclusion: Pandas are not great motorway cruisers. But then again, they're not b-road heros either. 

Still loving it. 

2 hours ago, Ian_Fearn said:

I reset the trip on mine the other day and it’s turning in 46mpg so far which I think is great for a load of stop start city driving and certainly not driving for the Mpgeeeees.

46 is pretty outstanding for a small petrol on local driving. I used to think 40mpg  in a 1.0 Yaris was mind-bogglingly great. 

6 hours ago, Broadsword said:

Since I’m so keen on having one of these in the future, can you elaborate on the motorway cruising bit? Do the seats start to hurt your back, do they get battered too much in the wind? This is the bit I think the Lupo has over the Panda potentially as mine at least is brilliant on a long cruise for some reason.

I don't think they suffer the wind badly compared to anything similar man. It's my opinion that the seats are uncomfortable but I'm 6ft 4 and 22 stone and it's a small car. 

I would say try one before you buy one really (there's plenty around for sale so a test drive shouldnt be too difficult to arrange). Some people seem to have no complaints at all. 

10 hours ago, Broadsword said:

Since I’m so keen on having one of these in the future, can you elaborate on the motorway cruising bit? Do the seats start to hurt your back, do they get battered too much in the wind? This is the bit I think the Lupo has over the Panda potentially as mine at least is brilliant on a long cruise for some reason.

I’m 5ft 10 and find the seats really comfy but as with the earlier Pandas, the longer your legs the more uncomfortable they are to drive. 
The pedals are closer to your body relative to the steering wheel in my experience which can leave your leg at a slightly awkward angle until you adjust your sitting position accordingly but this then affects seating comfort after some time.

On a motorway I’d say it’s typical small car experience. They’re lightweight so affected by wind or larger vehicles in some instances.

Power is limited so hills make a difference to speed and you need to work it harder.

On balance, for round town upto 40mph, they are unbeatable, upto 60mph they are really good, one of the most fun superminis a limited budget can buy. On a motorway it’s a compromise so choose on that basis.

hope that helps....

14 minutes ago, garbaldy said:

The seats are okay in mine but they are a little  on the firm side, it's comfy enough though and the little dizzler pulls really well and doesn't loose speed in hills, mine even has a tow bar but it will never be used as I bet the legal tow weight is well low.

If you ever need to pull the skin off a rice pudding, the panda will be ready with its tow bar. 

Like virtually everyone on here, I’ve spent years buying all sorts of cars more often than not being truly disappointed on about day 2. More recently an MX5, 5.7 Jeep and Defenders. Despite varying levels of luxury, performance and misery, the little Panda is delivering an overall ownership experience far superior to virtually anything i’ve ever owned before (except maybe a manky old 1.7 Puma).

I’m not shitting myself over the next bill or having heart palpitations over the cost of a tyre. I know I can afford to maintain it in tip top condition if I choose to. A full timing belt kit incl water pump is like £60 for genuine parts off eBay and it’ll take me 2 hours. Even if I leave it and the belt breaks it’s a non interference motor. A basic oil and filter change is £20, and shock horror, if the rear axle decides to shed a spring seat i’ll need a ride home and £130 to fix one of the biggest problems they seem to suffer with.

It’s just so simple, willing, practical and cheap whilst delivering far more smiles than it ought to. 

EDIT: would really like to try a 1.1 ?

Edited by Ian_Fearn

46 minutes ago, Ian_Fearn said:

Even if I leave it and the belt breaks it’s a non interference motor.

Really? I'm pretty sure just about all diesels are interference.

EDIT: to say I'm an idiot who has failed to keep track of who drives which type of Panda at present. Petrol variant I'd assume?

16 hours ago, Broadsword said:

Since I’m so keen on having one of these in the future, can you elaborate on the motorway cruising bit? 

You can have a drive of the one here for £80 ?

Seriously though they are fine on the motorway, I don't have a problem with the seats but you wouldn't want to sit behind me with the seat back.

In 2005 my stepdad swapped a pretty knackered Rover 420 GSDi for one of these for his 134 mile a day commute. We all thought the swap was hilarious but he loved it. It was the car I learnt to drive in and it got my stepdad 6 points in one go on the M1.

It was a 1.2 Eleganza Duologic with the most yellow seats I’ve ever seen. It was handed down to my mum and we shared it for a while. We were all really sad the day it was traded in for a diesel Fiesta after the climate control failed for the 4th time. Other than the complicated electronic bits it was a great car for 40,000 miles or so.

Here’s an awful photo of it very badly parked.

ad3b3f3ef6680f387fc23ee0467d0019.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, jumpingjehovahs said:

It was a 1.2 Eleganza Duologic with the most yellow seats I’ve ever seen. It was handed down to my mum and we shared it for a while. We were all really sad the day it was traded in for a diesel Fiesta after the climate control failed for the 4th time.

Eleganza AND dualogic......

remove all my previous comments about cheap to maintain.

1 hour ago, Jim Bell said:

Is there not a horizontal bar feeling thing in the bottom of  everyone else's seat backs that pokes them in the upper arse? 

Or is it just mine?

Copped a feel of the driver's seat earlier (ooh eer) and while I don't normally feel it, if you poke about I can feel a metal bit on the bottom three inches of the seat. Either we sit differently or the foam that pads the bar is buggered on yours.

2 hours ago, Jim Bell said:

Autos and flaptronics can get in all of the bin but I've have a stupid urge to buy an early FIRE or a Cross. 

@Jim Bell grab a 141 Panda while they’re still cheap. A 1000fire with SPi is an absolute joy to thrash the living daylights out of. Mine is probably the best 1500quid i’ve ever spent. I can’t wait to get back out to Italy/Austria again this year.

D69ADF44-2BD0-440B-B838-F4EDDCBE3799.jpeg

3 hours ago, Ian_Fearn said:

@Jim Bell grab a 141 Panda while they’re still cheap. A 1000fire with SPi is an absolute joy to thrash the living daylights out of. Mine is probably the best 1500quid i’ve ever spent. I can’t wait to get back out to Italy/Austria again this year.

D69ADF44-2BD0-440B-B838-F4EDDCBE3799.jpeg

They're not still cheap unfortunately. Not by my standards anyway. I remember when decent ones were £500 and those days are very much gone. I actually wanted a 141 but when I saw the values they were fetching, I spent £550 on the 169 Multijet instead!

Just now, Shirley Knott said:

I have a bit of an obsession growing with these. 

The Panda Multijet represents a far better spiritual successor to the likes of the 106 1.5D  and the Lupo/Arosa SDI than the UP/C1 ever could I think.

We are in total agreement on this point. I had a Pug 106 1.5D once. It was remarkable in it’s ability to be even louder than the Lupo!