Peugeot 205s - Gen me up

BorniteIdentity

I thought I'd start a new thread on this because, whilst I have my own, actually it's quite useful to have a reference point for the future/wider internet.

I'm looking (don't tell the boss) at trying a few cars out this year.  The Mercedes 190 is a long termer with me and the Sierra is the dictionary definition of 'for better or for worse'.  However, I can muster £500 together in order to have one under the strict understanding (with myself you understand) that it must not create an additional place on the 'Heritage Fleet'.

So.  Really I want a 3 door with no sunroof.  I wish I'd won the roffledraw the other week for that lovely red one.  

s-l1600.jpg

This one looks reasonably appealing, although I'd be looking to do a deal.  Has had a weld up and needs a belt so room for negotiation.

s-l1600.jpg

Smart, but those wheels can FRO and I'd probably enjoy a petrol one more.

s-l1600.jpg

HFM?  Shame, because this is right up my street.

I've read all the usual HJ articles etc and I do want to give one a spin before prices turn and the charming, honest, standard models are all gone.

Any tips, hints, suggestions and cars would be greatly received.

Ta

Back in the late 80's early 90's I had three, all bought new / a few weeks old.

Started off with an E reg Junior, then a G reg XS, then a J reg GTI (1.6, couldn't afford the 1.9, the 1.6 was 10 and a half bags then).

Junior was slow but fun. Had the blue deckchair type trim. Timing gear made strange noises from day one.

Traded for a month old XS. That was brilliant, 1.4 twin choke, reasonably economical but went like stink.

Traded for a new 1.6 GTi on a J plate in Miami blue with red trim. What a bag of shit. Less mpg,worst performance ( dealer had it back a few times, concluded that I'd got the one at the bottom end of the performance scale), broke down. Traded it for a ZX diesel!!!

XS would be my choice if I had another.

XS all the way if possible. Or an STDT. They're all ok though. Hgf is possible/common enough on all the TU engines but not common like K series common.

I've had 2 XS's, two XUD 1.8s and a 1.1 jnr with an XS lump and 4 speed box. That was the best of the lot. Other that squealing cabin fans, there's not much not to like.

Had a couple.

1987 D plate GLD 5dr. Nicknamed 'Angry Pierre' as it was faded red and used to shake like a b*stard at anything over 50mph.

Bought for £70 and ran as my daily for nearly two years including a daily commute from Alsager to Chester.

It was an absolute pillar of reliability throughout this with no maintenance whatsoever.

Recently had a 1988 CTi 1.6.

Loved this car, picked up cheap, as the owner had emigrated. Went like the clappers and handled well too.

A house move to a place with no parking and a job that took me away from home for periods meant that it had to go.

I have a Phase 2 (1993) 3 Door D-Turbo. It's a fabulous little car, I really enjoy driving it. The seats, velour buckets, are very very comfy but certainly wouldnt suit a fat ass. Its pretty quiet on motorways and general driving and seems to be nailed together pretty well - only the odd rattle. I would say that the Phase 2 dash is no-where near as cool on the phase 1's, the earlier ones are far quirkier and the plastic quality is generally better too - my 305 interior shares a lot of its bits with Phase 1 205's and its certainly nailed together better, with thicker plastics. Having the XUD in it means that general servicing is a bit fiddly as things are somewhat crammed in - but if you're looking for a petrol, particularly the smaller CC ones, you shouldnt have this problem.

As with Peugeot's of this era, rot and knackered rear beams are the killer. But 205's are seemingly still rather plentiful so there's plenty of choice and rust free/minimal rust ones can be found - the lower trim models are far far far less desirable than Dturbo's, STDT's and GTi's, although the XS's are popular due to their performance. 

I'd agree with busmansholiday and go for an XS, Phase 1 or 1.5 (87-1990) personally. OR, find a good early poverty level 1.0 with the little "suitcase" engine and enjoy excellent handling on skinny tyres with no power!

Even the nonturbo diesels are great fun to drive, possibly moreso as there's an element of not wanting to slow down because it's taken 3 weeks to reach reasonable speeds. With a 3 door be prepared for endless "is it a gti m9?" and sudden disinterest when they're informed that it's not.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Buy this cheap Dturbo which has just popped up in Norfolk so I can buy it from you in 6 months?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303040107471

Seriously though, it looks peachy.

One bid already on it at £950.  I'm paddling in the shallow end for this purchase.

I've had a few 205s over the years, a 1.6 and probably three different 1.9 GTis (when they were <£1000), MRS  S had an XS, and FATHA has had two diesels, the first one being a scruffy 280,000 miler, which he paid £250 for, got two years out of before it got hit up the arse by a rep in a Laguna, and being vakued as a write off at something ridiculous like about £800!! All of them have been faultless, with the exception of the 1.9 which slipped it's belt whilst I was trying to tow start it!

I'd certainly have another, and have been looking longingly at some of the ones that have been coming up on here. Idela would be an XUD9TE converted three door.

Verdict: buy one now before prices go stratospheric.

Had a few, including a NA diesel with 316K miles on it and four GTi's, one of which I still have. All have been very reliable but then again I made a point of buying decent examples in the first place!. Yes, they can produce a few silly faults but never had anything major go wrong. Can be a PITA to work on due to tight engine bays but it's not that bad, the cambelt isn't the easiest to do.

They have all been very resistant to rusting, for example my current GTi (91/J), when I stripped the interior to rustproof it, there was still paint behind the panels and in the concealed sections and not a trace of rust, even the underside/floors/sills are totally clean. Alot of French cars of this era seem to be very resiliant  to rot. 

The diesel was a non-turbo but was quick enough and once up to 80mph it would stay there all day, I'd have another of those too. 

We have had three door and five door 205s, including at least three diesels, and at least three petrol versions including an automatic.  The automatic had the delightfully French sliding glass sunroof with a seal that was deflated using engine vacuum to facilitate opening.  All were bought 2nd hand and all were 'trusted' vehicles i.e. they were generally very reliable in all types of driving.  The last one to go was the Automatic in 2017 after the autobox heat exchanger failed and quickly buggered the 'box.  The diesels sounded agricultural outside but were quite refined inside and could easily cruise at 80+mph whilst returning 50mpg. Expect front suspension arm replacement rather than trying to replace the rubber bushes.  The arms are not expensive and replacing them is straightforward.  Rear suspension is independent by transverse torsion bars - the whole assembly is known as the 'beam' but it is not a torsion beam (twisty dead axle).  The rear 'beam' and its mountings can suffer from corrosion and is the main reason for 205s being scrapped.  Bodywork resists rust far better than many cars of similar age.  205 prices are climbing because of the GT's influence, though sub £500 non-sporty examples in decent condition are still available. Recommended  :-D

Over the years I've owned around 6 or 7 205s both in suitcase and Tu engined form. I echo all the sentiments above, however a 500 quid budget won't get you in to an Xs these days. I'd be looking at Xls and Xr's of a late 80s vintage. E F and G plate 205s were the best built 205s of all and if they have been well attended to they should still be in good order. After 1990 and with the introduction of the 106 the majority of production switched to Spain and the build quality dropped. Later cars are more likely to have rot in the boot floor, under the rear seat, front inner wings and headlamp panels behind the bumper. Other than the usual Psa rear axle gremlins, handbrake cables are prone to seizure,the diff in the Ma gearbox used plastic races in the bearings and these can whine with age. Check the driveshafts for wear on full lock too, any play in the steering is usually wear in the lower column U/J. Oil leaks are common on Tu engined cars above the alternator. This is where the O ring within the head gasket has perished. You can either live with it or slap a fresh headgasket on which is pretty straight forward.

I've travelled hundreds of thousands of miles in 205s,find yourself a tidy unmolested one and it should serve you well.

post-20412-0-57474300-1548436334_thumb.jpgpost-20412-0-27443600-1548437102_thumb.jpg

I’ve driven many, used to have a Phase 1 GTi 1.6 (‘86) and currently have one of the last 1.6 GTi models (91 J) that I’ve owned for 15 years. Whilst prices are on the up for GTi some people think their cars are worth ££££’s so being choosy is important.

However, n/a diesel versions are not bad, frugal and decent to drive with PAS (later models have this as standard). 5 doors are cheaper but less desirable as you know, three door models do look better imo.

The van version is overlooked and still seem to go relatively cheap, I’m definitely open to buying a 205 van.

Early cars are simple but not particularly well screwed together, can present with rust problems and may have been neglected in life. There isn’t really a bad engine though and parts are still plentiful, even if the electrics go all French occasionally.

I do think the design is absolutely on point and was never bettered. This was definitely Peugeot at its best.

post-23518-0-27742500-1536860672.jpg

Here's mine.

It's really great to drive, has been relatively trouble-free so far, and as stated the 1.4 is quick enough and sounds brilliant. Also cheap tax.

If you want a sportyish one then the convertibles are often cheaper than the tin top equivalent. XS and GT are hard to find and have always been sought after. The CJ is probably the next best thing although I think a few less horses due to carb etc...

Same with GTIs really. You see quite a few reasonably priced CTIs which are the same car sans roof.

Obvs not quite as practical but not bad with folding rear seats and a surprisingly decent boot.