Another Slow Sevel Van - June 2022 Oil leaks

tommotech

Wheels and tyres fitted today, new door mirror (genuine part £3 eBay purchase) and a good clean and tidy up.

MOT achieved this afternoon, with some advisories on bushes. Next jobs on the list are to sort out the LH sliding door (new handle and top carrier needed), fit a new roof ariel, sort out the lock barrels and get the heater fan working properly.

The interior clean was a mission, a wire wheel and full PPE were needed!

Plaster dust everywhere and that awful smell has now gone. It can now get to work.

post-19581-0-57911700-1552678943_thumb.jpeg

post-19581-0-05088400-1552679074_thumb.jpeg

post-19581-0-07699000-1552679138_thumb.jpeg

+1 on congrats with the Mot. The repainted wheels look great. It's jobs like that which can really change a look of a vehicle.

How did you get on with the Door Mirror replacement? I ask as we brought a used drivers mirror for ours recently but had a right game trying to get the adjuster cable end out through the door skin while removing it. Seams the front window channel is limiting space to feed the adjuster cable out / in through. So I've been putting off replacing it for the time being.

+1 on congrats with the Mot. The repainted wheels look great. It's jobs like that which can really change a look of a vehicle.

How did you get on with the Door Mirror replacement? I ask as we brought a used drivers mirror for ours recently but had a right game trying to get the adjuster cable end out through the door skin while removing it. Seams the front window channel is limiting space to feed the adjuster cable out / in through. So I've been putting off replacing it for the time being.

The mirror adjust cable took a bit of jiggling, I removed the front lower channel from the two fixing points and dropped it to the bottom of the door cavity. The cable then feeds through with a bit of a jiggle, I also removed the top inner and outer weather strips for better visibility. It took about 20 mins in all, so not a bad job in the end.

The mirror adjust cable took a bit of jiggling, I removed the front lower channel from the two fixing points and dropped it to the bottom of the door cavity. The cable then feeds through with a bit of a jiggle, I also removed the top inner and outer weather strips for better visibility. It took about 20 mins in all, so not a bad job in the end.

Thanks for the pointers much appreciated!

If like us you need to remove the rear door handle for replacing the barrel. We ended up drilling out the rivet on the rear door catch as previously mentioned. We removed the inner door handle first from the connecting rod. Then removing the outer handle with the rods and catch as one. Access was a pain but was a satisfying fix.

Hopefully you may not need too if the handle isn't broken. You might be able to tease the barrel out as we did with the side doors.

• 3 weeks later...

The Slow Sevel Van has been doing ‘vanning’ quite admirably. Future jobs include the probability of having to sort the clutch. There is a feeling through the pedal when looking for the biting point, worse when you lift more slowly than usual. This is accompanied by a judder, but you can drive around it if you remember to.

I’m not particularly concerned either way, clutch kits are not expensive, no OMGDMF to worry about and there is plenty of access.

The fuel starvation at low fuel level has improved, but not gone away completely. Again I’m not particularly worried, just need to keep it off the fuel light.

The LH sliding door still needs sorting but is, by no means, an urgent job.

I had time to fit a new rear lamp yesterday. I also fitted a had a lock barrel set delivered and fitted one to the rear door, I can now lock all doors. Here it’s it doing van things;

post-19581-0-41370500-1554625243_thumb.jpeg

My old vans clutch lasted 360,000 km .

The clutch wasn't slipping but the release bearing exploded. Previous to explosion it felt just as you describe.

Low fuel warning light was exactly that. 30 km then it started spluttering.

I liked the van-ness so much I bought another. 2.0 hdi this time.

• 1 month later...

Clutch on the Dispatch has been getting worse, in terms of judder, while the biting point has started to become variable. 

Whilst fetching a batch of Panther parts from an enthusiast the biting point became progressively worse last evening, to the point where the clutch is dragging intermittently. Having to stop the engine, engage gear with the clutch dipped and then restart was entertaining*

Ive bitten the bullet today and purchased a Valeo clutch kit from ECP, as well as a timing belt. That’s tomorrow sorted then, pics to follow. 

Today’s findings, release bearing had collapsed and guide tube has made a bid for freedom. Pressure plate release fingers are also worn through which explains the variable biting point. 

Unfortunately I didn’t get a guide tube and don’t have one on hand, so the van remains stripped down until I can get back to it with parts. LUK friction disc didn’t look to have faired too badly though, I reckon it’s the original clutch too. 

Release bearing was hanging!

F41D5E0A-7F84-4666-8B39-B3E9612D929B.thumb.jpeg.6b5a874a80145c0bffc3751cc8f50863.jpeg

157A7DC1-2B8F-4509-A0A5-4B1947EBB1D4.thumb.jpeg.cfc42fa7df0e6634093a3ad02cdee265.jpeg

63A5B5D1-C39D-40A0-A889-4B8285DFF50E.thumb.jpeg.5b8f96cc46edf5de64ffb1d65b4f69fd.jpeg

980862B4-DC28-4B8C-85E6-A1F26623269B.thumb.jpeg.df8f041d707a21ce81bbbd74f41b41d5.jpeg

I do like Valeo clutches, from previous experience. Prefer LUK if it’s DMF though, thankfully these aren’t!

0564D5AC-522D-49BE-B337-0CE07CB3E21E.jpeg

Guide sleeve procured, installed and new clutch fitted too. 

I’ve also fitted a new timing belt, the item fitted was pretty slack and the camshaft position was slightly out. With a new one fitted and correctly timed the van drives particularly well for what it is. The new clutch has also made a world of difference - normality restored!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

MOT time for the van, how quickly a year passes! This hasn’t needed much attention recently, it just works without complaints.

Last time the rear axle trailing arm bushes were advised, increasing creaking noises from the rear end suggested they weren’t getting any better so time to get busy before the test. An easy enough job, plenty of access and no seized boots to deal with. The left hand bush had completely deteriorated and collapsed, the right hand needed the drill trick to separate the rubber from the outer sleeve. 

Knackered bush in situ;

EC1962C4-3242-45EE-9296-D145129CA0C4.thumb.jpeg.a74a36b9b6a102d5e8d61509c4d6b7d9.jpeg

Fooked vs new;
3D1EF232-B6FC-4A35-801A-0F7A3C89D411.jpeg.cae80fe6989fda76cf9d4a2a68e3d52d.jpeg

New bush in situ;

311D9D43-2D7E-4712-8DF4-D8A74620F7F3.thumb.jpeg.4037696a3923b0715ef9d6940db88649.jpeg

Now the rear axle is straight the steering wheel is off centre, something I will sort soon. MOT passed with advisory for rear number plate and a couple of brake pipes. All in all I’m happy with that for a 20 year old van.

I may have the option of a VW T5, at the right price with engine repair needed. If that comes of then this van will certainly be up for sale, watch this space.............

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still working, mainly from home but also travelling to Rail & Agricultural clients, as well as Tata Steel in Port Talbot - it takes them 6 weeks to turn the foundry off (after 2 weeks planning). I have some annual leave over Easter so will have time to devote to the new arrival, that came into my possession as the madness happened;

IMG_5227.thumb.jpg.67ab42845ca4fc04f4db46a223923e95.jpg

Its the exOBND, exWuvvum, exHMC MG ZR Express Van. It will get a sympathetic resto and there are a number of jobs to do, namely getting an MOT when circumstances allow.

Bonnet fails to close, gear change is really sloppy, clutch is heavier than normal (release arm siezing), patch needed on rear of sill and major service needed for starters.

I do like the R3 and this one drives well, I'm looking forward to this running resto.

Any info or tips gratefully received.

26 minutes ago, Landy Mann said:

I think I've got some brand new brake caliper side pins if you or anyone else wants them.

Thanks, I will accumulate whatever parts are available, I’m sure they’ll be needed at some point. Let me know details please. 

Had some time to start fettling the MG Express today, first job to sort was the bonnet latch but the bumper has to come off to gain access / remove. 
7B43C896-695E-4BE0-967D-24DB72F98761.thumb.jpeg.51215c6c3847b5e04b85bfa54840d563.jpeg

The release arm had jammed in the release position due to the amount of gunge / debris and a good clean, degrease & lube sorted it nicely. 
9F213C31-F897-4A2B-AC66-57ECE2344ECB.thumb.jpeg.b447df93fa73364b0dc9b26cf57586e2.jpeg

72BA5136-FA3A-42E8-98D0-AFBF848C8F10.thumb.jpeg.c8220d74e4ec3d7095f26acc38996325.jpeg

Looking at the underneath it appears pretty solid, it’s just crusty on the edges and the wings are a case in point. In reality I’d like to look for a pair of replacement front wings and new bumper, which would give the front a lift, looks wise. 
I’ve seen an MG Rover breaker in Redditch is looking to get shot of some stock so I’m hopeful they have the items I’m looking for in the right colour. 
Rear sill needs a patch but that is probably (hopefully) the worst of it.

I also had time to look at the washer pumps, as Wuvvum had made a temporary washer system whilst he had the car. With the bumper off access is easy, removal and test showed the washer pump to be seized although dropping on the floor (deliberately) released the impeller and operation is restored. Restoration of the wiring should sort the job nicely. 
013E42CC-5E46-474B-8EC8-3BF3D472AF22.thumb.jpeg.2c867f87042809a55ee58b51ea2ba843.jpeg