1994 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 - "cheap jeep"

skattrd

They're stupidly quick off the mark for what they are. Bhp figures aside, the engine is all about torque being a straight six, and they're low geared at the bottom end of the box.  The softly sprung long travel suspension does however tend to result in the thing standing on its back end quite comically when you boot it off the mark.

Makes a nice noise while doing it too...

I know they're 'boxy', but I really do find the styling and proportions of the Jeep Cherokee quite appealing (the 2nd generation model, not the round lighted swamp donkey that was the 3rd generation - in fact, all generations after the 2nd gen look awful)

The latest model - while it looks odd from the front - does drive quite well.

• 3 months later...

6 month update:

I've now done 6000 miles or so in this and it's been pretty much trouble free, until this week.
I was working on the continent earlier this year and used this as my main transport for most of the time. I did a few trips down to Dover and across Belgium in it, and the only niggle was the oil pressure sender.

I've been back home and playing with other cars for the past few weeks but decided to use this for Chumley last weekend, so the day before I took it for a run, and the exhaust was banging.

A quick inspection showed the rearmost hanger had snapped.
No worries, it's right at the end, so cable ties to the rescue (jubilee clip in place to prevent cable ties melting).

IMG_20190830_153455.thumb.jpg.93ed31600e40e5877b718ba9cc5ebb17.jpg

A quick look further along the exhaust shows the next hanger is also not attached, this isn't fixable with cable ties though, so ebay was perused and a new rear section ordered for £45.

IMG_20190830_153445.thumb.jpg.af382f160f9a28b5319553b439d483a2.jpg

Due to the unique way I manage my fleet this appeared to be the only car I had that was legal and I trusted to drive across the Pennines to Accrington this week. On the run over Saddleworth moor it started raining (it's the North of England, it usually rains) so I put the headlights on, or rather I pulled the headlight switch to turn them on. Nothing happened.

When I got off the motorway I had a quick investigation, the fuse was fine but no lights, bugger. I repeatedly jiggled the switch and got the sidelights on, briefly. These then went out and wouldn't turn back on again, double bugger.

I checked the sunset times and worked out that I might be able to get home before it got properly dark, worst case I stop somewhere comfy (services) when it gets dark and call the breakdown.
I conducted my affairs in Lancashire and headed back to Lincs. I drove home a little quicker than I usually do, as I was racing the sunset … I made it home just as the sun was setting.

This morning I rang my friendly local(ish) garage and appointments were made for exhaust fixing and headlight analysis.

Old and new exhaust sections compared, and they look similar, so it looks like I ordered the correct part.

IMG_20190905_113047.thumb.jpg.6c5d7fc0b55896cafecb630506be3620.jpg

The exhaust was relatively straightforward, the rear hanger needed a touch of weld to make it secure but, all was done in reasonable time without much trouble.

IMG_20190905_131332.thumb.jpg.ae5d7715a99584ff42e73d6e4944f4dd.jpg

Removing the headlight switch was rather fiddly, and involved removing part of the dash and rummaging behind it in a tight gap but eventually this was extricated and I could get the part number off the thing.
I wanted to confirm the part number as they changed the switches every couple of years, and I didn't want to order the wrong one.

IMG_20190905_135651.thumb.jpg.02faa038772b4b0d21840c58ca6e6d8b.jpg

Oooh look, some burny bits on the old switch, that'll be the problem, £32 switch ordered, it should* be here by next Tuesday.

Whilst I was researching part numbers and trying to figure out what power output the engine has (185bhp I think) I discovered this Jeep was manufactured in Toledo Ohio,

Manufacturer:

Jeep  Jeep

Brand:

Jeep

Model:

Cherokee

Engine:

4.0L

Region/Plant:

Toledo, Ohio

Check:

X

Year:

CarID 388
Brand JEEP
ManufacturerId 513
Catalog JEEP201410
Model  
Name J -JEEP
ImageUrl  
Date 05.04.1994
BodyModel XJUL74
Engine 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine (ERH)
Transmission 4-Speed Automatic AW4 Transmission (DGS)
Date 1994-04-05

Build sheet …. I might delete this as it's rather long ...

Vehicle Description 1994 JEEP CHEROKEE
Monotone Paint
90 Amp Alternator
500 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
Vinyl/Carpet Door Trim Panel
Rear Fold w/Removable Cushion Seat
Floor Carpet
Cargo Compartment Carpet
Cargo Tie Down Loops
Spare Tire Cover
Passenger Assist Handles
Full Length Floor Console
4-Speed Automatic AW4 Transmission
Lock-Up Torque Converter
Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System
Floor Mount Automatic Shift Lever
Dana M30/181MM Front Axle
3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
175MM Rear Axle
Tinted Windshield Glass
Front Door Tinted Glass
Tinted Rr Drs/Qtr/Liftgate Glass
Fixed Door Vent Glass
Rear Window Defroster

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
Cargo Area Storage
Front Floor Mats
Cargo Compartment Cover
Overhead Console
All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
Trac-Lok Differential Rear Axle
4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
Left RHD Mirror
Right Mirror
All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
Remote Keyless Entry
Air Conditioning
120 MPH Primary Speedometer
Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
Rear Window Wiper/Washer
Power Windows
Power Locks
Power Front Driver/Passenger Seats
Illuminated Entry
Headlamps On Warning Chimes
Courtesy Lamps
Ash Tray Lamp
Door Armrest Storage Lamp
Underhood Lamp
Headlamp Off Time Delay
Bi-Function Halogen Projector H/Lamp
Body Color Front Bumper
Body Color Rear Bumper w/Step Pads
Front Bumper Guards

Body Color Grille
Roof Rack
Speed Control
Dark Blue
6 Speakers
Tilt Steering Column
P225/70R15 Eagle GA OWL AS Tires
Goodyear Brand Tires
15" Aluminum Wheels
All Aluminum Wheels
Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
Front Suspension Skid Plate
9 Additional Gallons of Gas
Spring - Left Front
Spring - Left Rear
Spring - Right Front
Spring - Right Rear
Customer Preferred Package 2TK
Customer Preferred Package 26K
Intl. Price Protection A
Coso Spbr Not Required
Market Homologation
Export Ocean Freight
Export Insurance
YKK Corporation
Special Scheduling Condition III
Delete Domestic Warranty Manual
Export Option Requirements
United Kingdom Country Code

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

Probably sounds stupid, but had it in my head these were made in Europe for some reason. Kudos for having one as a daily though, hat truly doffed.

1 hour ago, skattrd said:

I think some were made in Austria, Steyr? but not this one.

The later shape Grand Cherokee (2000-2005) was made in Austria for the European market. I had one of those and loved it.

Good to see one of these getting some love, would like to try one one day. I've not got the tank 4x4 thing out of my system yet

28 minutes ago, dome said:

Good to see one of these getting some love, would like to try one one day. I've not got the tank 4x4 thing out of my system yet

I wouldn't go as far to say it's getting some love … it's getting used and fixed when things break ;)
I've still not looked at the electric seats, they still don't move, but the position is ok for me, so … meh.

As it's now clocked over 60k (and never had a 60k major service) I'm planning to give the gearbox oil and diff oils a change, after I get some LSD additive/oil for the rear diff.

Mine is now MOT'd and was called up for duty to Haul a Bustner Vertana 455 from Southport to Braemar. I'd love to say it did it easily but alas, a lot of swearing and very nearly physical violence towards the new Toyos was carried out.  On a light throttle, it jerks.. like cuts out for a quarter of a second. on off on off on off....  Towing up over the Shap, then Beattock, then the Devils Elbow  and Glenshee at 3am, after being on the road for 16 hours really tests a mans patience.  I reckon its the Lambda sensor, even though the emissions for the MOT were perfect.. and it's really random.. sometimes its fine. The 2.5 struggles a bit too with a van but this could be related. I could do with one of those exhausts too- saw them on Ebay, and the slight judder on the front discs has turned into a full on massage.

Not sure about it to be honest.. Much preferred driving and towing with the Sorento. And it went from 26 MPG solo to 20MPG towing. Better then the 4l I believe but still, ouch.

20190818_191818.jpg

20 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

Mine is now MOT'd and was called up for duty to Haul a Bustner Vertana 455 from Southport to Braemar. I'd love to say it did it easily but alas, a lot of swearing and very nearly physical violence towards the new Toyos was carried out.  On a light throttle, it jerks.. like cuts out for a quarter of a second. on off on off on off....  Towing up over the Shap, then Beattock, then the Devils Elbow  and Glenshee at 3am, after being on the road for 16 hours really tests a mans patience.  I reckon its the Lambda sensor, even though the emissions for the MOT were perfect.. and it's really random.. sometimes its fine. The 2.5 struggles a bit too with a van but this could be related. I could do with one of those exhausts too- saw them on Ebay, and the slight judder on the front discs has turned into a full on massage.

Not sure about it to be honest.. Much preferred driving and towing with the Sorento. And it went from 26 MPG solo to 20MPG towing. Better then the 4l I believe but still, ouch.

20190818_191818.jpg

Liked because it looks cracking, not for your woes.

1 hour ago, skattrd said:

I wouldn't go as far to say it's getting some love … it's getting used and fixed when things break ;)
I've still not looked at the electric seats, they still don't move, but the position is ok for me, so … meh.

As it's now clocked over 60k (and never had a 60k major service) I'm planning to give the gearbox oil and diff oils a change, after I get some LSD additive/oil for the rear diff.

I got my lsd or transfer box oil from the local John Deere dealers, way cheaper than anywhere else!

This is the stuff you need, oem lsd additive for Dana axles.

http://www.jeepchryslerparts.co.uk/shop/product/1516/limited-slip-track-lock-differential-additive.html

Can get it from main stealer as well.

Its worth following the advice in post 6 of the following link in order to work the fluid into the clutch packs.

http://jeep-club.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4038

Had to do this when i had my 94 cherokee xj.

With regard to the non functioning seat motors, they've probably seized due to lack of use. The method I deployed when the motors seized on my last alfa 164 was to give them a good twatting with a hammer on their casings. Never had a problem after that!

10 hours ago, skattrd said:

Cheers @dome can you remember what  the oil was labelled as @ John Deere?  Diff oil, 75w/90 lsd as normal or do they call it something else in tractor places?

There's a tractor place near my Mum's house I can try.

My 2005 Jeep (last of the WJs) was Quadradrive transmission so it may not be the same for yours-it'll depend what is in yours but I think it might be different. 

Headlight switch arrived yesterday, and has been fitted. The headlights etc now work, which is nice.

I sort of forgot to take pics, here's when I remembered I should take a pic whilst I was re-assembling the dash

IMG_20190912_133603.thumb.jpg.6a1224f34aa8de2cebb527452737a1d3.jpg

Then it was time to change gearbox and diff oils, again I forgot pics.

The ATF was drained, 3.5l of sludgey grey stuff came out, this was then followed by half an hour or so of battling with the sump pan as the dipstick tube is connected to the pan and needs to come out with it to remove the pan.
That was eventually wrestled out, cleaned, silicone removed from both surfaces, as there was no gasket in place.
A new filter, gasket and 4l or so of clean red ATF was put back in.

As is my norm, I forget to take pics until it's pretty much too late, so here's a bad pic of the gearbox oil filter in situ.

IMG_20190912_153511.thumb.jpg.93612a207993ff4dfd010b3ae3ae9cca.jpg

The more observant at Chumley might have noticed the lack of rear wiper … This has been rectified.

IMG_20190912_191746.thumb.jpg.dc9e12b74445f8831e3ab5b3b5994dfe.jpg

I've been avoiding buying one as the cheapest I could find was almost £30 with postage, and that's too expensive for a mingebag like me. However when I was looking for an ATF filter and gasket, the place that had them in stock (jeepy.com) also had the correct rear wiper for my jeep at a more reasonable £20. I've literally just been outside and taken that pic, isn't it terrible?

By this time I'd had enough, so diff fluid changes can happen another day.

• 1 month later...

Minor update:

I was over in Lancs recently, so cheap jeep paid a visit to @NorthernMonkey for a little fettling.
He worked his magic and the drivers seat is now moveable, the diffs have new oil and the coolant sensor wiring is fixed. 
This means that the check engine light is now off, both fans aren't constantly running and it now seems to run a little smoother. 
Big thanks from me, and I will probably return with more broken shite when I'm in the area ;) 

I'm hoping these improvements might mean I can hit the heights of 25mpg … wishful thinking I know.

Cheap jeep is now booked in for an MOT next Saturday, almost 9k covered in my ownership, I just need to go and collect it from Manchester airport.

MOT day, and results are in (and got rained on a little) ...

126810289_2019_11_0215_03OfficeLens.thumb.jpg.df1f866707f4e88df2f7adb30039420d.jpg

Yes, it's a pass and notice the 31 miles difference in the previous MOTs  compared to the 8k+ I've done in it.

Nothing much to report, a slightly worn UJ was spotted and we decided that if we're taking the prop shaft off to replace one UJ we might as well replace all 3, so I'm now shopping for UJs.

After driving it at night recently I've decided that the headlights are a bit crap, so I'm looking at LED replacements. I'm browsing youtube watching reviews and am still undecided.
If anyone has experience of 5x7 aftermarket LED lights let me know your thoughts.

I've been looking at youtube vids and LED options for the jeep and am still confused and undecided.
Add this to the fact that I'm unsure on the legality of the LED options available on ebay/amazon, as I can't see them being DOT or E-marked.
I'm also thinking that maybe some NEW std units might solve the problem. Shiny, new reflector and clean/clear glass might make a significant improvement over the current lights … Then again it might not be a noticeable difference and could be a waste of money.

I'm thinking maybe I'll try these, weird, black background projector LED:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-300W-7x6-5X7-LED-Projector-Headlight-Hi-Lo-Beam-Halo-DRL-For-Jeep-Cherokee/184005489499

s-l1600.jpg

or more normal looking LED:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PC-LED-5-X-7-LED-Headlights-Replacement-for-Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-Trucks-UK/174080952014

s-l1600.jpg

Maybe normal  H4 non-LED halogen, just shinier than the 25yr old ones on the jeep:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rectangular-Halogen-Headlights-Headlamps-JEEP-Wrangler-Cherokee-to-1996-HELLA/231830462353

s-l1600.jpg

The LEDs are £45-60 a pair, the Hella H4 are £75 for a pair.

4 minutes ago, HMC said:

Love the early dash on yours, funny how the facelift basically tried to water down its character, same for the rear lights and tailgate

I really like the dash and weird (lack of) ergonomics on this.

In normal driving you can't really see the warning lights on the right as they're obscured by the tiny steering wheel, I hardly ever noticed the check engine light, making it easy to ignore for 6 months.
The steering wheel also obscure the only stalk, which controls cruise, wipers and lights. I have found myself trying to peer round the wheel to see if the cruise is set, or what the variable intermittent speed wipers were set to, either long pause, or not working.

That said I love the tiny steering wheel and think the dash gauges are just about perfect for a non-digital one, it has exactly the right amount of gauges for me and all clear and well positioned.
Speedo + revs - big.
Battery voltage, coolant temp, oil pressure and fuel - small

Have a reposted pic from collection:

IMG_20190120_193826_HHT.jpg

32 minutes ago, Jim Bell said:

Well played on the MOT man. I can't beeeelief it's been more than 6 months in the fleet. Seems just like a week ago you were having a go at the brakes not long after collection. 

Thanks, it doesn't feel like that long since I was hammering away at the brakes trying to free them off on the collection.
It was nice to see it on the brake rollers today and watch the needle shoot up when the brakes were used. I have no regrets about spending around 40% of the vehicle purchase price on new front brakes. 

@barmatt had a quick spin in this the other  week and commented on how sharp the brakes were.
I said its because they're basically new, well, they're now 8k miles old, but are still shit hot.