1994 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 - "cheap jeep"

skattrd

My Grand Cherry did that too (same engine). A bloke up the road got one as he was working for Ilmor before they became Mercedes Racing engines and it was the Mercedes/Chrysler tie up - they got company cars on a rotation. He was an engine boffin and opined that a straight six shouldn't really do that according to some complex laws way beyond me, and that they'd done a marvellous job of making it seem like a V8 (or something - it was a long time ago now).

Not sure how good an engine boffin he was; cars rock when the engine is revved because of the rotating mass being accelerated and the rest of the car reacting in the opposite direction, nowt to do with it being a straight 6, V8 or whatever.

Not sure how good an engine boffin he was; cars rock when the engine is revved because of the rotating mass being accelerated and the rest of the car reacting in the opposite direction, nowt to do with it being a straight 6, V8 or whatever.

Exactly, longitudinal engines should rock the car, transverse won't.

Wouldn't trust him with my lawnmower mayte. 

It was only just after the Christmas break that I was watching the Goonies and thought ' you know what? That truck looks okay...' then I put it on my list of 'things to buy if the price and moment is right', it's a long list...

post-24545-0-26118000-1548147052_thumb.png

These were a favourite of everyone at the Auctions when I worked there.. they were about as fast as a 4.0 Jaaag and handled well for such a leany overly super high thing.

I was always confused by the fact they are compact and narrow - like Jeep never remembered they were American (something they resolved with the super fat 'Grand' Cherokee..

Second only to ex driving school cars where you could use the second set of pedals to prank folk.

Despite the impulse nature of the purchase, this is the jeep I wanted, 4.0 HO, square not facelift or grand.

I was told the later are better and the non-grand are quite small inside and have less toys, but I just prefer the size and look of the square Cherokee.

post-4715-0-52643200-1548150655_thumb.jpg

As for weight, I was quite surprised, according to the manual it's curb weight is 1535kg, so less than a modern family car.

As for weight, I was quite surprised, according to the manual it's curb weight is 1535kg, so less than a modern family car.

Doesn't surprise me at all - the 2wd version I drove felt very light on its feet (imagine no more than 1250kg or so with the 4wd gubbins removed, so a pretty impressive torque-to-weight ratio).

Oh, mpg, I've not filled up (or driven it since I got back) but the tank is apparently 76 litres, which is 16.75 gallons.

182 miles home, half a tank, say 8.5 gallons = 21.4mpg

That's a rough calculation and quite sensible driving.

That's brilliant. I'd crawl naked over broken glass for 20mpg +

Not a V8 though, is it?  ;-)

I have tried to buy one of these I think five times now... really want one but it just seems fate doesn't agree.

Zero interest in the later ones where they made the interior all European friendly...the utterly oddball US styling is half the appeal.

They do sound good too, and the acceleration (especially from standing up to 30 or so) will surprise a lot of people. Dire on fuel though, 20mpg is something you aspire to...

Whilst I'm messing around with ignition components I thought I might as well go the whole hog, so I've ordered plugs, dizzy cap and rotor, to go with the leads.

I was thinking I'd need or want to do them eventually, so why not do it now and get it out of the way.

If the old ones are ok then I've got spares.

TPS could definitely give symptoms you've described, though at this age I'd definitely suspect any vacuum hoses which haven't been changed yet. Most injection systems from this era are really sensitive to vacuum leaks, so I'd probably be looking to replace any original ones left as a service item by this point.

It appears Zelandeth could be correct, and the issue is the TPS.

I've changed the dizzy cap, rotor and leads and the misfire/jerking under full throttle is still there. The engine is running lovely and smooth now though. it wasn't bad before, but it's better now.

I've also changed the coolant sensor, but the error code remains and the fan is on all the time.

I haven't changed the TPS yet as one of T20 torx that holds it in place is stuck, and now slightly round. I've doused it in plus gas and will try it again tomorrow. Although I have a feeling things might get broken and I'll end up using mole grips on it.

Another thing I've noticed is that there is a bit of slack in the throttle cable, top middle of below pic shows the cable meeting the end of the pedal.

post-4715-0-86518800-1548349814_thumb.jpg

I've googled this and the solution generally appears to be either wrap cable ties around the cable that work as spacers, or bend the top of the arm of the pedal lever. I'm not keen on either

I've been looking for a replacement throttle cable, and am having difficulty finding one. There are lots for '96 on, faceleift Cherokee and "jeepey.com" list one, but that looks like the throttle valve or kickdown cable. I've emailed them to ask …

There was me thinking I've got a car with easy to find parts.

I give you the solution that Skoda went with for the throttle cable on the Estelle.

post-21985-0-83002900-1548370365_thumb.jpg

Basically go get yourself a terminal strip you'd usually use for joining flex together.  Strip the plastic bit off the outside, then there ya go.  One screw-on, adjustable cable end.  Obviously you'll need to snip the end on there off first.

I've done this on a whole bunch of vehicles and it's never caused me issues.

It appears Zelandeth could be correct, and the issue is the TPS.

I've changed the dizzy cap, rotor and leads and the misfire/jerking under full throttle is still there. The engine is running lovely and smooth now though. it wasn't bad before, but it's better now.

I've also changed the coolant sensor, but the error code remains and the fan is on all the time.

I haven't changed the TPS yet as one of T20 torx that holds it in place is stuck, and now slightly round. I've doused it in plus gas and will try it again tomorrow. Although I have a feeling things might get broken and I'll end up using mole grips on it.

Another thing I've noticed is that there is a bit of slack in the throttle cable, top middle of below pic shows the cable meeting the end of the pedal.

IMG_20190124_163354.jpg

I've googled this and the solution generally appears to be either wrap cable ties around the cable that work as spacers, or bend the top of the arm of the pedal lever. I'm not keen on either

I've been looking for a replacement throttle cable, and am having difficulty finding one. There are lots for '96 on, faceleift Cherokee and "jeepey.com" list one, but that looks like the throttle valve or kickdown cable. I've emailed them to ask …

There was me thinking I've got a car with easy to find parts.

If you're talking about the radiator fan, it'll be 'on' all the time because it's a viscous unit.

You need to sort out the slack in the throttle cable before chasing any TPS issues as they’re likely related

I was thinking the same thing, and that the main issue with vehicle is down to a sloppy/stretched cable and none of the other stuff.

I give you the solution that Skoda went with for the throttle cable on the Estelle.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190124_225050.jpg

Basically go get yourself a terminal strip you'd usually use for joining flex together.  Strip the plastic bit off the outside, then there ya go.  One screw-on, adjustable cable end.  Obviously you'll need to snip the end on there off first.

I've done this on a whole bunch of vehicles and it's never caused me issues.

Have the 'ex Skoda RE/RWD owner' Tshirt

100% = it worked for me (bicycle tandem length cable!) :)

Doug has the bants.

https://youtu.be/3STMfI_PS4Q

Post facelift like that has zero attraction for me. Has to be the first gen with the proper life-size Tonka toy looks and utterly eccentric ergonomic disaster of an interior.

I really really need to own one before they're all gone. Maybe after the Activa? Was trying to get one before ending up with the Lada, but it turned out that the one I was after despite looking immaculate essentially didn't exist from the bottom of the visible sills downwards.