Maserati project started

lanciamatt

UK registration documents sent off yesterday, stripped rear shocks off to get them refurbished. Just need to source 2nd hand gearbox and change clutch then ready

Great news on the Mot. Who did you send the shocks off to?

• 2 weeks later...

I was up at 730 this morning refitting the rear shockers that I've had refurbed, I've also fitted the number plates. It's maiden voyage didn't go terribly well, it broke down in petrol station, battery went flat so I had to call a mate to come with some jump leads, sorted now though.

Glad you’ve fixed it, which makes me feel less guilty for saying that’s exactly the kind of thing everyone’s hoping for on a Maserati/Lancia thread.

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2019 at 2:08 PM, lanciamatt said:

..... It's maiden voyage didn't go terribly well, it broke down in petrol station, battery went flat so I had to call a mate to come with some jump leads, sorted now though.

Presumably that's not the alternator expiring? Much the same thing happened to me last weekend....

No it was battery, it only just started when I left the house and it was only half a mile to petrol station. I've checked charge rate and its OK, charging at 14.2v. I'm going to attempt to get A/C working next week. It currently has no gas it in, so first job get it recharged and see what happens 

• 3 months later...

Small update, maser off road at min as propshaft centre bearing was worn out, managed to find a new one for cheap money in America compared to the ridiculous prices there asking for in Europe (700 euros) just for bearing. Also dropped on the front and rear sections of propshaft NOS at a dealer in Southampton so got them too. Started fitting it last night, hopefully fit rest today then I can start using it again. 

On 5/18/2019 at 9:48 AM, lanciamatt said:

No it was battery, it only just started when I left the house and it was only half a mile to petrol station. I've checked charge rate and its OK, charging at 14.2v. I'm going to attempt to get A/C working next week. It currently has no gas it in, so first job get it recharged and see what happens 

Aye.... Same rate as my Toyyo = from the 2bob 'ciggy plugin' USB I got ;)

• 4 months later...

Small update, new Cambelt tensioner fitted, that sorted the horrid noise, fitted a new header tank as other was cracked £20 brand new maserati part which I didn't think was bad. Sorted a few electrical issues. Went for a decent run in it last weekend all was good. Going for mot next sat. 

Our 425 got a new MOT in November 2019 ready 2020 and rewarded the garage who did it with a broken drivers window mechanism before they had even managed to return the car to me. As the window was up I took the car back and Mrs6C has now obtained a replacement window motor/drive mechanism from Italy so the car can be returned to the garage for it to be fitted.

Speak to Mrs6C if you want the details of a good BiTurbo used parts supplier in Italy who is happy to send stuff to the UK and is quick and reasonably priced.

On 9/14/2019 at 8:58 AM, lanciamatt said:

Small update, maser off road at min as propshaft centre bearing was worn out, managed to find a new one for cheap money in America compared to the ridiculous prices there asking for in Europe (700 euros) just for bearing. 

One of the reasons I sold my 4200 was the horrific parts prices.

Maserati is dying as a sports car brand, they've just become fiat's luxury arm now , the QP and Ghibli are based on the Chrysler 300C , don't know what the Levante is but I'm guessing something american.

Quattroporte V Is 15 years old now, granturismo over 10 years old , 4200 18 years old , anyone putting serious money into one today is a brave man , they take months to sell if you want out 

A biturbo is probably one of the few modern Maserati's that will appreciate in value,  until Maserati start to sell parts for older modern cars at reasonable money they'll depreciate to worthless.

Parts prices can be scary, simple thing like air filter, no longer made, no one does after market. Managed to find a thread from a lad in Japan who found a k and n panel filter that fits. I ordered it £50, but at least it can be washed. I get bits from a guy in Lincolnshire, or there is a guy in America who is cheap too. I also needed a steering rack boot, put part number in eBay £150 for 2, not paying that, I ordered 2 universal ones for 12 quid, did job perfectly. 

I have bought s/h parts from Emiliano DiGirolamo in Italy. His prices are reasonable and he can ship things over quickly.  His website is: www.biturboparts.com and his email address is:  ricambibiturbo@gmail.com

I have just had an electric window mechanism sent over from him, as the plastic cogwheel on the motor of one of mine has disintegrated. The motor works fine and the flexible screw thread is OK, so when the old one gets swapped out, l will have a look at the disintegrated cogwheel and see if it's possible to replace it with something more durable.

• 2 weeks later...