Boring car collection.

Jim Bell

Some time ago on this very portal someone offered a LHD W124 200D for sale. I was prepared to travel anywhere in the UK to get it but sadly it sold before I got the chance.

I wouldn’t get out of bed to buy a Yaris.

It's a long way to go for a fairly common car, but buying a car from a trusted shiter at the other side of the country who describes the car honestly might save money and hassle over buying the same car misdescribed from a local stranger.

JB, are the Japanese built ones better? My friend had an early Japanese one and it was very rusty.

It's a long way to go for a fairly common car, but buying a car from a trusted shiter at the other side of the country who describes the car honestly might save money and hassle over buying the same car misdescribed from a local stranger.

JB, are the Japanese built ones better? My friend had an early Japanese one and it was very rusty.

That's weird because they don't really rust full stop. The Japanese ones are much better. All the switches, interior fittings, fixings/bolts all around the car are much inferior on the French ones. It's still a Yaris but you can tell the difference if you've had a Japanese one then drive a French one. Even the wing mirrors are smaller and flimsier on the French ones.

To sum up, the French ones are exactly like what you would expect from a car manufactured under license by Frenchmen in France.

That's not to say it's a bad car or that any French Yaris is a bad car, I mean the French make lots of good cars but its generally accepted in Yaris circles that the French ones are inferior. At least in comparison to the Japanese built ones.

Contrasting opinions are probably also freely available.

Anyway. I really like this car. Regardless of its herritage.

Is there an easy/quick way to tell a French one from a Japanese one?

Loads.  Made in japan/france sticker on the windscreen, Vin number then theres the grille and seat adjustment handles and such and such.

For Vin:

If its made from Japan then it would begin with J...

Ones made in France, the vin number begins with V...

This. And also some of us find it fun. I would always choose a car many many hundreds of miles away over the same example from just round the corner.

Welcome to Club Yaris, sir.

post-17915-0-31295000-1547811513_thumb.png

Knowing that MrsDC's 1.0 examples have never given grief over 15 years of ownership has been a great comfort when selecting cheap and horrible vehicles for myself, which have generally proved slightly less than trouble-free.

Agree that the French examples don't seem so well put together (we had the driver's doorhandle snap off last year) but generally they're great wee things.

There are small but annoyingly unarguable differences between the original and facelift models, so not all Mk1 bits are interchangeable. There are also amusing variations from car to car, especially in run-out models where parts bins were conceivably being raided, which makes for fun conversations at the ECP desk - for example, a replacement water pump arrived with four drilled holes for the pulley fitment, but the original one only had a three hole pattern. Also, brake pads have caused much head-scratching - anything we've been handed over the counter looks nothing like what's fitted.

Top buying, top thread. Enjoy!

Welcome to Club Yaris, sir.

20180811_184831 (crop).png

Knowing that MrsDC's 1.0 examples have never given grief over 15 years of ownership has been a great comfort when selecting cheap and horrible vehicles for myself, which have generally proved slightly less than trouble-free.

Agree that the French examples don't seem so well put together (we had the driver's doorhandle snap off last year) but generally they're great wee things.

There are small but annoyingly unarguable differences between the original and facelift models, so not all Mk1 bits are interchangeable. There are also amusing variations from car to car, especially in run-out models where parts bins were conceivably being raided, which makes for fun conversations at the ECP desk - for example, a replacement water pump arrived with four drilled holes for the pulley fitment, but the original one only had a three hole pattern. Also, brake pads have caused much head-scratching - anything we've been handed over the counter looks nothing like what's fitted.

Top buying, top thread. Enjoy!

Luckily it doesn't need anything at the mo. I look forward* to playing CAR PRAT LOTTERY in the future though man.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have a word with the bloke who sold you that, should be covered under warranty. I knoe UR Rites M8.

impressive work on the wheels, would sixteen five inch wheels go in? or one 80 inch wheel? I've had three mowers and a stationary engine in the back once, though had I crashed with them on board there would probably have been a new category in the Darwin awards named in my honour.

Please tell me you're going to jack the suspension up and fit the aforementioned 16" wheels to the Yaris?

Please tell me you're going to jack the suspension up and fit the aforementioned 16" wheels to the Yaris?

Sadly not. After proving that it's impossible to even give away Zafira A wheels, they enjoyed a nice drive out to the tip. The Yaris did 4 tip runs in total. It's propper handy for a tiny car, though I think I may be living my life incorrectly if this is the PRACTICAL ROOMY section of the fleet.

• 8 months later...