Best way to do an oil change?

Peter C

I would never use a flushing oil unless you know the car from new and it’s always been done. They can dislodge all sorts of shite and cause big problems.

I couldn't agree more, anything that releases a lifetime of crud into the engine in one go can only lead to problems.

What I meant was just a fill with cheap shite for a short while to hopefully get rid of 90% of the dirty 10% the first change left.

Stop engine after at operating temp.

Drain oil immediately. Leave as long as possible. Win.

Please do not let it cool unduly. Meh to Pela-type pumps. Seen too much crap left behind for me to be comfortable with them. Feel  free to disagree.  :-)

Halve oil change intervals and use oe spec oils to gradually flush heavily contaminated engines. Or clean them out manually.

Struggling to understand the negativity towards oil extractors TBH. I've spotted our local local garage using a big compressor driven unit for oil changes and I've heard anecdotally that many dealerships (Audi included) do too, things move on...

RE leaving 'crap' behind, if the oil's properly hot then any nasties should be held in suspension within the oil and come out with it irrespective whether it's drained from the sump or via vacuum, they key being to make sure the oil's properly hot before getting going (For both methods)

I can understand for some cars the shape of the sump etc mean they don't work as well and in those circumstances clearly a traditional drain is required, same goes for a sump that's full of thick sludge, cracking the plug is probably the best option but for well maintained engines run on decent oil I can't see any problems with using a Pela. As mentioned I can actually extract more from the Golf using the Pela than by cracking the plug but oil by it's very nature clings to surfaces and you're never going to get 100% of it out no matter what method you use really. 

I'd imagine when washing machines were invented there was a hardcore elite who insisted washing by hand was still the 'best' way... Each to their own I suppose.

If y'all love them so much, anyone's welcome to make an offer for my used never Pela 6000.  I bought it for my Paedo Bus because I hate climbing underneath it (even jacked, chocked and on axle stands) but it wouldn't pass go through the dipstick, so I bought some 'Man the fuck UP' tablets and do it properly*

*Properly, because the sump plug was considered, designed and installed for the removal of engine oil.  In the absence of a sump plug, then a pump is the proper way.

If y'all love them so much, anyone's welcome to make an offer for my used never Pela 6000.  I bought it for my Paedo Bus because I hate climbing underneath it (even jacked, chocked and on axle stands) but it wouldn't pass go through the dipstick, so I bought some 'Man the fuck UP' tablets and do it properly*

*Properly, because the sump plug was considered, designed and installed for the removal of engine oil.  In the absence of a sump plug, then a pump is the proper way.

£5

I can`t work on my car any longer - galloping osteo arthritis and old age........... I used to remove the plugs and when I had filled up with fresh oil and fitted the 

filter, spin the engine over on the starter motor until the oil light went out/gauge showed pressure had built up. In those days, you changed the plugs every 5K,

today`s plugs seem to last forever. Not sure if you can do this on a modern with coil packs and the complex (complex to me) electronics.

I use a motorised pump through the dipstick on mine.  Always run the car up to temperature and then do it.  I can get about 4.6 litres out of the 5, which I'm basically happy with and my oil is always the 'right' spec for my engine.  I must, however, do Lady Grumpius' Focus because I'm sure it's several times over the service interval.  Oops.

On your PD 130? If so then the capacity including filter is 4.5l according to Haynes and also the owners hand book. 

If you're getting 4.6l out I'd say you've done a pretty thorough job :)

On the subject of pumps, my Smart didn't have a sump drain plug from the factory so I used a diesel hand primer pump from a Rover 400 to remove the oil. Tedious, but cheap.

I had to replace the sump due to corrosion and, on removing the old sump, found that I had got pretty much every last drop of oil with the pump - must admit I was surprised how well it had done. However, the oil always used to go black very quickly after a change, nowadays it stays clear for much longer. Make of that what you will.

most pd s are 3.8 litres

Without wishing to be contrary, not according to the owners handbook chief ;)

32898635178_cc3067142a_c.jpg

31832672457_d686eeae6e_c.jpg

31832671747_38cc43dea6_c.jpg

All of the 1.9 PD lumps (100/130/150) take 4.5l with a filter change *Yes, I'm the kind of saddo who has VAG owners manuals to hand*

Admittedly you'd be doing well to drain every last living drop, but 3.8l would be well short.

On your PD 130? If so then the capacity including filter is 4.5l according to Haynes and also the owners hand book.

If you're getting 4.6l out I'd say you've done a pretty thorough job :)

To be fair, it might have been slightly overfilled at some point. Oil warning light came on today so the oil change will happen this weekend. Had some in the boot so just topped up but it’s due a change...

1. An oil change is always done on a warm engine. Always.

2. When the oil is changed, the filter is changed. There is no exception to this rule.

3. Do not put your car on ramps, or jack it up. The car should be level.

4. Do your oil change swiftly. Do not walk away and 'have a brew' to let the oil drain. Always try to be finished with your oil change within ten minutes, all in. More oil pumps than not are not self priming. By letting the system bleed beyond the big gush you risk the oil pump running empty. A bit of old oil remaining in the sump makes no difference when diluted with SIX FUCKING LITRES of fresh oil.

5. Replace the seal ring of the oil drain plug with a new one. Never ever reuse the old one. There is no exception to this rule.

6. Do not tighten the oil drain plug beyond the specified torque.

7. Always heed manufacturer's instructions outlined in the manual. You will be surprised how they differ from car to car.

Best way I’ve found is to undo the oil cap and tip the fucker on its roof.

Not a big fan of the pump idea, swapping oil doesn’t take that long the old fashioned way, doesn’t sound less messy either as you’ve still got to clean the pump up after. I’ll stick to my industrial sized cake tin.

Or do what 90% of people do these days and don’t even bother. Spend the money you would otherwise waste on oil on beer or something.

E3 Technical.html Passat 1.9Tdi from my tech data system

Capacity:
Filter 0,5 litre
Capacity 3,7 litre
Use:
Normal
Intervals:
Change 15000 km/ 12 months
Products:
QUANTUM LONGLIFE III 5W-30

QUANTUM PLATINUM PLUS 5W-30

QUANTUM PLATINUM 5W-40
Capacity:
Filter 0,5 litre
Capacity 3,7 litre
Use:
Extended drain (max)
Intervals:
Change 45000 miles/ 36 months
Products:

QUANTUM LONGLIFE II 0W-30

A4 from the quantum site

All go out with oil on the max after a good oil change inc slackening the filter off before dropping the sump plug , so the filter totally drains

1. An oil change is always done on a warm engine. Always.

2. When the oil is changed, the filter is changed. There is no exception to this rule.

3. Do not put your car on ramps, or jack it up. The car should be level.

4. Do your oil change swiftly. Do not walk away and 'have a brew' to let the oil drain. Always try to be finished with your oil change within ten minutes, all in. More oil pumps than not are not self priming. By letting the system bleed beyond the big gush you risk the oil pump running empty. A bit of old oil remaining in the sump makes no difference when diluted with SIX FUCKING LITRES of fresh oil.

5. Replace the seal ring of the oil drain plug with a new one. Never ever reuse the old one. There is no exception to this rule.

6. Do not tighten the oil drain plug beyond the specified torque.

7. Always heed manufacturer's instructions outlined in the manual. You will be surprised how they differ from car to car.

1. Agreed.

2. Agreed.

3. Depends on the location of the sump plug.

4. I find letting the sump keep draining while swapping the filter is plenty long enough for the last dregs to drip out.

5. I never bother & they never leak as I've not overtightened & damaged them previously.

6. I wish most people knew this rather than doing them up with a 15ft breaker bar.

7. I'm a man, I don't read instructions.

attachicon.gifE3 Technical.html Passat 1.9Tdi from my tech data system

Capacity:
Filter 0,5 litre
Capacity 3,7 litre
Use:
Normal
Intervals:
Change 15000 km/ 12 months
Products:

QUANTUM PLATINUM PLUS 5W-30

QUANTUM PLATINUM 5W-40
Capacity:
Filter 0,5 litre
Capacity 3,7 litre
Use:
Extended drain (max)
Intervals:
Change 45000 miles/ 36 months
Products:

QUANTUM LONGLIFE II 0W-30

A4 from the quantum site

All go out with oil on the max after a good oil change inc slackening the filter off before dropping the sump plug , so the filter totally drains

^Yes, Passats have a smaller sump, but what you actually said was...

most pd s are 3.8 litres

That's not correct.

Octavia's/Golf's/A3's/Ibiza's/Leon's/Polo's and the vast majority of cars using the 1.9 PD engine usually require 4.5l, Passats are one of the few exceptions to that rule. Most  PD's take 4.5l.

*Disengages hyper-pedant mode*