Intro to '89 Civic 1.4GL, called Phoebe by previous middle-class owners

ANYOLDIRON1984

Hello fellow Autoshiters!

Just a quick intro to my 1989 Civic GL with a couple of expertly taken photos in the style of Rembrandt.

Had the cars since, I think, April 2018, garage had it till September (I told them to do it "at their leisure"), where it had tons of welding, which was done to an MoT-worthy, but not cosmetic-worthy, standard (not dark patches near arches). Had carbs rebuilt due a stuck float, naturally it doesn't run quite right. New brakes lines, loads of underside rot cleaned off. Bit of a service. It's certainly driveable but not sure how far I should take it given that I'm reasonably sure the timing belt will be celebrating its 30th birthday in December.

Genuine 48k miles on the clock from new, starts on the button even when parked up for a month. Suppose it's a "daily" but I barely drive it due to not really needing a car at the moment.  

Got test till September so hopefully I won't need to spend anything on it till then. 

Not sure what else to say about it, it's a bit shabby but very worthy!

Looking forward to perusing the forum and seeing what other shite people have. I just love a rubbish but good car.

Dave

post-27193-0-10370000-1547503580_thumb.png

post-27193-0-75699500-1547503587_thumb.jpg

The size difference between the "compact" i30 and originally same class Civic makes me a little sad...

I thought that, then I imagined crashing into a crisp packet and I feel a little better.

Welcome btw, the phrase "at their leisure" is that a new category for getting work done on the cheap?

£££ debit card + avanti avanti

££ cash or leisure

£ cash + leisure

Just a couple of quite snowy pics of the old girl. Tried to get some side shots but the battery died on my phone. Doh!

Should have cleared the snow from the front number plate as its barely legible.

However I did manage to get some video footage which I'll be sticking on the tube tonight or tomorrow.

Dave

post-27193-0-22070200-1547736546_thumb.jpg

post-27193-0-92318400-1547736560_thumb.jpg

Faults I've found today after not having driven it for 3 weeks:

Severely cracked sidewalls on a couple of tyres and all tyres massively under-inflated.

Won't idle without choke, even when hot.

Starter intermittently stays engaged for a couple of seconds after engine starts.

The joys of old motors. Even a trip to the shops is an adventure/

I had one of these briefly before stuffing it into the side of a mk4 Astra about 10 years ago. Quality motors these. Electric windows, central locking, power steering, electric sunroof, electric mirrors, twin choke Weber carbs.... it was ace. Shame it wrote off. I tried to buy another some years ago but the prices have shot through the roof becausejaptax

.... Our carb expert advises a 'spring chop' ??

Many years around S.U. carbs has led me to believe a 'high resistance/thicker/firmer' spring is the way for power - resisting the desire for the needle rise so increasing the inlet depression=pulls more fuel/richer.

Filing a flat down the length of the needle/firm spring is 'old skool' SU tuning ;)

*interesting opening up of the piston/throttle slide orifice

http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/178800/keihin-vb-carburettor-rebuild-honda

• 2 weeks later...