NUTS !

blackbird

Weird problem

A few weeks ago I went to have the wheels balanced at a tyre place on a Chrysler Grand Voyager

2 rear came off fine , 1 front was difficult the other front refused to come off .

I have recently had some work done in a garage I have used for years (and trust) ,that would have meant that the front wheels would have been taken off , so I took it back to them assuming they had put them on too tight or with a gun . they had a terrible time getting them off , stripped 3-4 sockets and had to change at least 1 stud and a few nuts .

It’s back in the same garage (different fitter) for a track rod end , wheel came off no issue .

Changed the track rod end , took it for a road test , got back , and remembered I wanted the brakes checking

Tried to get the wheel back off , the nuts then wouldn’t come off ,

Swears they didn’t use air tools , were aware of the earlier issue

What can make wheel nuts go from being able to come off ok , with no issue , to shearing the locking socket key and needing stud extractors to get them off after a 10 min drive >??

Don't know what is causing the problem.

Are the bearings getting hot causing the wheel to expand?

Did they copperslip the threads?

Are they alloy wheels?

My experience has always (apart from a Rover 3 litre) been the opposite, a Sunbeam Rapier that I had was always loosening it's front wheel nuts and the XM nearly lost a rear wheel which was certainly due to a tyre fitter not doing the nuts up.