1994 Audi 80 TDI Mills-O-Matic - £450

wuvvum

This is possibly a bit of a long shot, but thought I'd try putting this up for sale and see if anyone fancies taking it on.  It's a bit of a rare beast, being an automatic TDI, and it has the potential to be a bloody good car which should go on forever.  It'll even run on veg if you're into that kind of thing.

I bought it in December 2017 - a memorable journey which involved riding my folding pushbike down the icy back lanes of rural Lincolnshire in the pitch dark.  The car was owned by an old boy who lived on a farm and had owned the car pretty much from new and done most of the 115K miles himself.

The main issue that it has is that it chugs at idle.  It always starts on the button, it's never stalled or otherwise cut out, it just sits there chugging away to itself all day if you let it.  Raise the revs to about 1100 and it smooths out completely, and is then smooth right through the rest of the rev range.  It also has another fault, which may be related, which is that it can be slow to respond to the throttle - the way around this is to come off the accelerator and then press it again, which seems to wake the engine up.  This is an intermittent fault though - sometimes it can go for ages without doing it (I drove it 250 miles down to Somerset at Christmas 2017 and it didn't do it once all the way down).  It's been doing this ever since I bought it and the car's still perfectly usable as it is - aside from the aforementioned 500-mile round trip I was dailying it for several months after I bought it - but ideally it wants sorting.

I am not sure what's causing it.  Someone suggested it could be vacuum pipes, so I replaced all of those but it didn't make any difference.  So it looks like it is probably a fault with the injector pump itself.  I've bought a replacement pump, which comes with the car, but I can't see myself having the time to do it any time soon, plus I'm slightly apprehensive about doing it myself in case I bugger something up, and the only local garage which would do the job at a sensible price is booked solid for ages.  Hence why I'm offering it for sale as is.

It's MOT'd to November - for the test it needed a couple of tyres, front wishbone bushes (one side got rebushed, the other got a whole new wishbone), a track rod end (ended up replacing the track rod as well as couldn't get the end undone) and a steering rack gaiter, so not too bad overall.  As usual with these it's structurally very sound, although there's surface rust on things like wishbones etc.  There's also a bit of grot around the top of the front arches, which are something of a mud trap, but that's the only real rust I've found on the car. 

Inside is all there and I'm pretty sure everything works.  The seats have suffered slightly by being very light grey / beige so the driver's seat could do with a clean.  It has an electric sunroof but keep fit windows all round; the stereo is a period Philips radio / cassette and works OK but doesn't exactly offer premium sound.  The reversing lights don't work but all the other lights do - I've upgraded the sidelights to halogen bulbs as they were a bit useless when I got the car.  They're now bright enough that you only need headlights when it's properly dark.  The car runs on the cold side according to the temp gauge, but the heater is pretty good.

The tracking is all tae feck at the moment since fitting the new wishbone and track rod / end - I'll get it done at the local garage before the car goes.  Other than that it's good to drive anywhere.  The gearbox is fine - it's only a four-speeder but it's reasonably high geared - and the car does >50mpg on a run.  It's only 90bhp so it's never going to be a dragster, but it keeps up with traffic perfectly fine and actually picks up its skirts reasonably well when required.

Pics:

post-190-0-74458500-1547425358_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-44431600-1547425373_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-57287400-1547425390_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-45502300-1547425405_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-23721000-1547425421_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-51740600-1547425882_thumb.jpg

In NE Norfolk, as always - delivery may be possible.