Triumphant tank mod

gigglepin

Been having long term issue with fuel tank in my triumph 2000 saloon.it's been an epic saga of cleaning , re-sealing,failure, replacement, ;leakage , repair ,leakage.to finally putting  a wanted on here for an ally tank.and getting a reply from Tamworthbay.

I picked the tank up in nov.last year...along with a bass guitar that someone else on here had won in a roffle..that got picked up  a week later by it's new owner , who just happened to live 3 miles from  me

i've only , just, got round to fitting the tank ..had to make a stand up for it post-23054-0-49607900-1547413899_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

what with setting up my new shop and work stuff havent had much chance to update this

took it out for a spin .car was running well.. stopped at a pub for a drink [non alcoholic] came back out to nothing ,,no  light,spark or sausage

cut a long story short.a wire had come off the ammeter,..,on this model , the power for the whole car , except the starter, goes through the ammeter first,,.had to talk to the shedi master in somerset to discover this fact

with that replaced i could then do a MPG test ,,,nice little run out , round the lanes , and i get 25 MPG...

i have got an air leak on the front carb though 

it's got 1.3/4 strommies instead on 1.5 with an adaptor plate on a flowed inlet manifold...and these adaptor plates are notoriously tricky o seal 

also lost overdrive ..which may have impaired the MPG

ive got an Austin healey works overdrive gearknob/switch coming and ill fit this instead of the shonky wobbly column mounted original one

the new gearknob/overdrive switch has arrived..it's actually for an Austin Healey,,but i know works triumphs had them too..ive used them before on my previous cars ..my daughter wants me to sort the wiring so we can have overdrive on ll froward gears ..told her i'd do the next time we do some mountain passespost-23054-0-21380400-1552412948_thumb.jpg

post-23054-0-66994200-1552583388_thumb.jpg

with the thread in the gearknob 3/8 unc and on the gearstick 5/16 unc i took the bits into the workshed to decide a plan of attack

options included 

filling the hole in the gearknob and drilling tapping to 5/16 [couldn't find anything to fill the whole that would be strong enough]

weld a 3/8 bolt to the gearstick [couldn't find a 3/8 unc bolt or a 3/8unc die]

what i did find ..whilst looking through my stash of shite ..was a 5/16 helicoil kit ...unf though..BUT i just wound the coil into the knob then wound the gearstick in and hey presto ,one firmly attached gearknob

it's got 1.3/4 strommies instead on 1.5 with an adaptor plate on a flowed inlet manifold...and these adaptor plates are notoriously tricky o seal 

also lost overdrive ..which may have impaired the MPG

Could you fashion a gasket from thin silicone sheet so there is some 'squish' in it, but it won't rot like rubber does when exposed to petrol?

Also more please. Which edge of the gearknob does the toggle switch go? Leading edge, trailing edge or side? where do you route the cables? Do they get cable tied to the gearstick shaft or is there a more elegant* solution?

But basically just more. Of everything.

Could you fashion a gasket from thin silicone sheet so there is some 'squish' in it, but it won't rot like rubber does when exposed to petrol?

Also more please. Which edge of the gearknob does the toggle switch go? Leading edge, trailing edge or side? where do you route the cables? Do they get cable tied to the gearstick shaft or is there a more elegant* solution?

But basically just more. Of everything.

im going to try a paper gasket with with a thin smear of silicon next .prob is theres more than one ..it goes inlet manifold ,gasket ,adaptor plate , gasket ,,carb

and the gearknob set up will be similar to the last pic that christine posted