60MPH

Marm Toastsmith

I just like keeping up with the traffic no matter what speed its doing  , and 60 ish is good for me on a clear road , its a speed I would rather crash at then say  90 ish

but nothing worse then some one who goes too slow or far too fast compared to the rest of the traffic speed

one is a slow moving obstacle  , the other is like an incoming missile when you want to manoeuvre .

obviously some vehicles cant do the speed and thats why they are big and we stay out of the way ....

Doesn't it get both boring and tedious at 60mph on most of our Mways, constantly having to find a slot in faster moving traffic to overtake the HGVs? If I was going to go at that speed I'd sacrifice a little economy and seek out quieter, older roads (as in the post at the bottom of the previous page) which have evolved down the centuries, avoiding all that pollution while having time to take in the landscapes and architecture.

Doesn't it get both boring and tedious at 60mph on most of our Mways, constantly having to find a slot in faster moving traffic to overtake the HGVs? If I was going to go at that speed I'd sacrifice a little economy and seek out quieter, older roads (as in the post at the bottom of the previous page) which have evolved down the centuries, avoiding all that pollution while having time to take in the landscapes and architecture.

I rest my case ref. Morris useage..... 

Not only are they horrible on the motorway, they positively relish quiet A and B road alternatives.   OK you might have to go through a town or two, but with the majority of non-trunk routes having been ignored since the 1950s you can even get away with period road maps.....

Actually, yesterday, no. But maybe I was lucky with the traffic. I hardly had to overtake any lorries. Like maybe 3 in 100 miles? I wasn't slavishly sticking to 60, but trying to go with the flow to a degree.

Agreed though about searching out nicer routes on older roads. I've discovered a few recently and really I ought to put the sat nav in the bin. It is quite useful for avoiding arguments with a human map reader though. Motorways are pretty hopeless these days, overcrowded, loads of 50mph sections, grim overpriced fuel/services. A-roads are increasingly nicer places to be.

When I went to Cannock for The Game back in October, I opted to waft up the A5 from around Junction 18 rather than use M1/M6.

It was remarkably more sedate, and while I was in the car for a good 15-20 minutes longer, I felt substantially less frazzled at the end of it. Thing is, being 'stuck' behind a lorry doing 55mph on a 60mph is not that frustrating...the A5 is generally wide, well-surfaced and has occasionally dual-carriageways if you want to get past.

On the flipside, I used to occasionally drive from home to Birmingham Uni, which necessitated M1/M6/A48, and I'd arrive after the same length of time feeling like I'd just been at war and lost.

Doesn't it get both boring and tedious at 60mph on most of our Mways, constantly having to find a slot in faster moving traffic to overtake the HGVs?....

Nope, not really. Sometimes you actually make faster progress in the inside lane in traffic 'cos all the other fools only use the middle and outer.

When I get the CX back, I'll be doing 60 in that as well, mainly because the auto gearing doesn't have an overdrive /lockup top. 60mph is about 2800 rpm. 70mph is 3100rpm - that's not really relaxed.

Frontera. Always.

The answer was on the first page.

Frontera at 60 seems to be the only speed in which you don't use a ton of petrol. It can go alot faster to overtake when needed and it's got a big boot.

I may have said it once or twice before but it's a very nice car to drive. OK so it's no XM etc but then they can't go off road and yeah by off road mean the occasional curb or grass.

I looked at that and wondered why you didn't just use the old Roman road through Piercebridge..

I like razzing my 30 year old van down the motorway at 85 in the outside 

lane with all them Aldi's and Beemers. The sense of speed and the noise 

I find quite exhilarating. There's a fair few that don't like being overtaken by

something that old and then proceed to make an arse of themselves by tail

gating until I move over and then roar off into the distance. At which point I 

always hope there is a speed camera just up the road.

As to Mpg I aint that bothered on veg. If I had to pay pump price I'm sure

I would drive more conservatively.

A and B roads are better fun though, as long as you don't get held up by

a fuckin roadmaster. They can take all the joy out of it. 

I like razzing my 30 year old van down the motorway at 85 in the outside 

lane with all them Aldi's and Beemers. The sense of speed and the noise 

I find quite exhilarating. There's a fair few that don't like being overtaken by

something that old 

Yeah, all very fair, it can be great fun driving a banger like you stole it and it's especially enjoyable knowing that you're pissing off stupid cunts in their shiny new cars.

Life doesn't have to all happen at 60MPH. But it's a speed to be celebrated nonetheless, and makes a lot of sense for just getting places.

My Dolly 1850 was best for driving "fast" in a manner folk don't expect of an old car. It's a grand sensation to go flying past a bunch of dawdlers on a long A-road straight with Highway Star at full blast on the mono radio.

It's less grand when less than 2 mins later they all pass you again because you ran out of petrol due to an unreliable gauge...

Yeah, all very fair, it can be great fun driving a banger like you stole it and it's especially enjoyable knowing that you're pissing off stupid cunts in their shiny new cars.

Life doesn't have to all happen at 60MPH. But it's a speed to be celebrated nonetheless, and makes a lot of sense for just getting places.

Agreed on both points. On A and B's I tend to be not far off the 60, where it's safe to do it. 

Motorways seem to bring the worst out in me and at 60 I tend to lose concentration.  Mind you if

I was doing 60 and a thirty year old 305 van shot past, I'd laugh my tits off.

Would make my day and would merit a mention on these hallowed (beige) pages.

After being a fairly committed outside laner when I have had big quick cars, now I drive slower chod I’m finding it really relaxing to go a bit slower and not be scanning for speed cameras, tutting at slow cars in the outside lane before hoofing it down the road as soon as it becomes clear. 65 mph in my t4 van I’m finding quite acceptable,and I’ve even bought a cruise control retrofit kit to add to the relaxation factor. Journeys are taking slightly longer but are sooooo much more relaxing. I used to arrive at the destination wired!

After being a fairly committed outside laner when I have had big quick cars

Odd that I'm totally the other way. Little crap cars get thrashed to make them move & end up flat out everywhere. Since getting proper cars I tend to waft on cruise control & not rush at all.

Dacia is a perfect 60-65 mph car. 70 plus at a push, but the noise is fearsome. Maxed it out at 81 on Romania's straightest, and emptiest, country road. Terrifying. 

Saab will do 90 all day. It has in the past (on private roads of course) done much much more, but the fuel consumption is comically bad: gunning it from Liverpool to London will see off 3/4 of a tank. 

Jag is sadly off the road due to galloping rust. That didn't really like anything in double figures. 

From experience, people seem to quite enjoy the sight of an ancient car being properly used - as long as you're not a dick. The Dacia in particular gets serious double-takes and thumbs-up when overtaking. Probably helps that taking it, or the Saab, out, invariably puts a big grin on my face. 

Cruise control is GR9M8 for 60mph. I think autobox is also a contributor for a GR9M8 60mph experience. Then the cruise just deals with everything no matter what the top gearing is. I had a 2013 A Class when I was doing big commuting miles. Biffed it off now I'm not doing that commute, but it was very, very, very quiet at 60mph.

Some things I'd say about regularly having to do big miles:

1) 60mph is definitely WAY less stressful than constantly trying to press on

2) A bigger car attracts far less unwanted behaviour (spiteful cut-ins, brake tests, tailgating etc)

3) Comfort > everything else

50mph, on the other hand, is actually quite difficult to hold on a motorway without cruise and it's surprising how many people you catch up who are doing significantly less than 50mph. I never managed a full, clean 57 mile hypermile on my old commute because I'd catch someone up doing less than 50mph and have to accelerate round them. However, couple of positives about 50mph I found were that the trucks could just go past you and you were also going far too slowly for a lot of the shitty behaviour that people do when you're doing 60-65mph. I think at 50mph you're either going too slowly for them to bother or by the time they've got you in their sights they've already gone past you.

Mk1 Honda Insight MPGs from mine (CVT model):

70mph - 70mpg

60mph - 84mpg

50mph - 90-114mpg

2) A bigger car attracts far less unwanted behaviour (spiteful cut-ins, brake tests, tailgating etc)

3) Comfort > everything else

Yeah, with these in mind I'm thinking something like the Chrysler Grand Voyager for sale in another thread is probably a lush 60MPH wagon, although it probably spoils the MPG advantage that the speed offers.

My old 2-litre W124 was the happiest at 100mph exactly.

It'll do 70-75mph just fine, but then it's at exactly the peak torque figure of 3500rpm, couple with good aerodynamic design, a twitch of the foot will see it going up much quicker than you'd expect. And because the suspension design was for fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn, it wouldn't felt fast until 110.

The steering wheel top is also blocking the exactly 75mph mark. So I am usually going at 90-100 on the motorway all the time. Unless there's speed camera at which point I have to look down and see how fast I am going. I thought that was more dangerous than if I was able to drive exactly as fast as it's happy to. Which is 100mph.

The car would feel much smoother and happier after such drive too. It loves going at Autobahn speed, that car.

The Corolla though really is most happy at 50mph. It'll do 75mph just fine but it's spinning away at 3700rpm which seems excessive. It's also quite lightweight which means it's a bit floaty at over 100mph. But no matter what speed you're going at it'll return pretty much the same fuel economy. Which is nice.

If the police is reading I am actually a massive liar.