60MPH

Marm Toastsmith

I’ve got a Mk2 Golf GTI 16v, it’s party trick is 75mph in second gear. It’s a slip road nutcase.

Not too relaxing to be fair.

Used to have VW campers, achieving and maintaining 60 was some work.

Some modern stuff seems not geared for 60 now, In my mk4 Golf tdi, you’d have to be in fifth really, not 6th to avoid lugging it.

I drive up and down the M1 a few times a year. 5 years ago 50% of the cars used to rag it down there at 95 mph. However, 90% of those people are now unsure of the speed camera situation and most of the traffic moves at probably 80 tops (and that's indicated, not actual speed). 

This means that when I'm giving it some beans, the traffic around me is travelling much slower and it makes my speed dangerous so I in turn have to slow down too, along with most of the other people who used to drive fast. 

Not a problem, I've just slowed down but I have noticed it. I don't feel as safe at speed anymore as the rest of the traffic seems slower.

The diesel 405 is good, very comfy but a bit noisy.

The petrol 405 is delightful at 60, supremely comfortable, hushed and well behaved.

The saab is frustrating at 60, it's pulling at the lead, but on cruise control, it's nice.

I had a much maligned 407 with 2.0 hdi, it was impeccable on the motorway with its big armchairs and cruise control.

The diesel 405 is good, very comfy but a bit noisy.

The petrol 405 is delightful at 60, supremely comfortable, hushed and well behaved.

The saab is frustrating at 60, it's pulling at the lead, but on cruise control, it's nice.

I had a much maligned 407 with 2.0 hdi, it was impeccable on the motorway with its big armchairs and cruise control.

405 sounds good. Especially petrol. Are the auto boxes OK?

Yep, I saw it... Looks a cracker. It likes 60, then?

It loves 60-65. It’s also fine at 70-75, but not as quiet. It doesn’t like 50-55 as the torque converter keeps flipping up and down... which is annoying in average speed camera zones on the M4, of which there are a great many.

But 60 is peachy.

The Acclaim is a 60mph car, bang on 3k in fith gear and quite happy to plod along at that while returning 40mpg. Is a bit gutless on hills though.

The Doloshite will also hold 60mph fairly well but the 4 speed 'box leaves it undergeared, 50-55mph is easier on the ears and conscience!

My 406 sits very happily at 60/65 at 2krpm. 75/80 is over 2200 which just feels excessive. Plus, as I only really drive it to work and back, I like to pay as little as possible to do that, so it does 45mpg not 43.2mpg... But your right, it's a much more relaxing drive.

The grey laguna was the worst for speed, it would do 90 very easily. Same with the xantia!

The Acclaim is a 60mph car, bang on 3k in fith gear and quite happy to plod along at that while returning 40mpg. Is a bit gutless on hills though.

The Doloshite will also hold 60mph fairly well but the 4 speed 'box leaves it undergeared, 50-55mph is easier on the ears and conscience!

Acclaim appeals although I guess not a huge boot.  Not brave enough to use a Dolomite as a main family car I don't think.

When I chopped my company Cavalier for a BX estate (one of those new-fangled Diesels!) I found the BX's sweet spot on the motorway to be 60-65. Which was quite a change from caning the Cavalier everywhere. Most weeks were 1000 miles plus but the journey times were very little different. I distinctly remember how much less effort the driving took. Lower speeds plus BX a much better car than a Cavalier mk2.

I tend to hover around 60-65mph unless I am in a rush, the V70 does about 70mpg at that speed. It’s very relaxing as you aren’t continually looking to pass HGVs and watching out for idiots cutting out in front of you. I do get annoyed by the 50mph brigade though, they mean the HGVs have to block the other lanes going past them. 60mph is a decent minimum I think.

I drove my XJR non stop from Gatwick to Berwick upon Tweed at an indicated 60mph. Hardly any queues on a Sunday and the on board computer reckoned (optimistically) 39mpg. Took an hour for me to relax my right foot, but once I did, the journey was a joy and equally enjoyable as the cut and thrust of charging up there in the fast lane.

And the money I saved in fuel went on beer in Edinburgh when I arrived (much later) that day.

The 3.5 vel satis was wonderful at 60. It was like being transported into a waiting lounge. It slowed me down to 60, both mentally and because of its adjustable speed limiter.

It's a wonderful speed, faster than that and the wind buffeting and rate of pace is tiring. Slower than that and you feel like you're not getting anywhere.

In total pub talk bullshit mode, I wonder if the fact that our eyes refresh at 60 frames per second as anything to do with it?

The Innocenti cruises in quite a relaxed manner at a true 60 (indicated 105km/h).  I have no idea what rpm it's doing at that speed, but it's a 3-cylinder engine so it sounds like it's revving lower than it actually is.  The Renault 6's crusing speed is also 60, but that's because at anything above that it sounds like it's about to put a rod through the block. 

Everything else I currently own I struggle to keep down to 60 - the Carina E has the closest "sweet spot" at a true 67.  The Maxus (which is limited to 60 in Norfolk anyway) seems to want to sit at 75 everywhere.

This thread reminds me of the time I attempted 'hypermiling' in my 1996 Lada Riva. I achieved 42mpg from Southend to Bristol. I slotted in behind lorries all the way and it was the most tiring and stressful drive of my life. Mind you, the two other times I went from Southend to Bristol in a Lada something broke...

Getting the cruise control set at an indicated 63mph in the LS400 is easy, and it's doing just under 2000rpm in 5th which makes it very relaxing. At least until, as bramz has said, you encounter someone who is doing 55, then 75, then 60, then 65, then 50, then 70, then 80 etc.

However, a nice long round trip at 60-65mph and you get rewarded. I have picture proof somewhere of nearish 35mpg on the 'puter!

The mondeo is frustrating to drive below about 100, as it just wants to go faster. And my self control is pretty much nonexistent.

A danger of the LS400...on a quiet empty motorway, with no real points of reference, and moreso at night, I have genuinely crept up to 90mph or so before without really noticing. It didn't help that there was a mile or so of very gentle downhill which I failed to compensate for, but it was more how the noise and view out the window beared no relation to travelling at a mile and a half a minute.

If pulled over, I would have answered 'No officer, I really did not know how fast I was going', which obviously (and rightly) isn't good enough, but at least it would have been the truth.

Since moving to Devon 5 years ago I pretty much never drive on the motorway, hadn't driven on one for about 3 years. I had to go up North at Xmas and I was amazed at how slow people drive now. I remember there was always a constant stream of cars in the fast lane doing 80-85. I was doing 70 on the speedo in a 15 year old car overtaking people in their brand new Mercs, Aldi's etc. People must shit themselves over the managed motorway stuff I suppose.