Let’s go cruising, PT style...YeeHaw!

NorthernMonkey

Minor update time...

Following the battery change, starting on a cold morning has been trouble free so far. Hopefully this will continue to be the case.

However, talking of cold mornings, concern was expressed from the better half that she was just about managing to get a knat’s fart of heat from the blowers by the time she was pulling into the office carpark some 12 miles away. This, combined with the fact the temperature gauge never goes much above a quarter, leads to suspicion of a less than efficient thermostat (a fact also mentioned by previous owners)

As we are on a roll with fitting new bits at reasonable prices, a replacement was priced up. Bugger that. Time to make good use of the things that we find, the things that the everyday folk leave behind (in the boot)...a Renault 5 thermostat,

This was duly installed in a secretive manner (as I’d left my phone at home) but resulted in this....

post-17519-0-32738000-1548079299_thumb.jpeg

Success!

Finally for now, one last irritant. A cracked front plate. Oh, what to do?

post-17519-0-30208100-1548079413_thumb.jpeg

The mod team were consulted (well, one of them) and following deliberation, permission was duly granted to fit new plates...

post-17519-0-83465500-1548079488_thumb.jpeg

I’m well aware as to the mixed opinions on here regarding private plates but this one was sat on retention since the sale last year of the Beetle cabby and as the cruiser is here for the long haul, I reckoned it may as well go on. The transfer fee had already been paid anyway so it worked out cheaper than a replacement plate ;-)

I'm not sure what it is about it but I suppose having provided so much entertainment for the forum, the poor thing deserves a bit of TLC and the chance to live on. 

It's a bit like a three legged dog with mangy fur that you've bought of a bloke in a flat roofed pub which just sits at your feet and stares lovingly up at you. You know it's a bit shite really but it's harmless enough and is still capable of chasing the neighbours cat. 

Well, there it is. The ethos and definition of Autoshite all in one post.

Great news on the Renner 5 fix and the halfway temp gauge - knew that part would come in handy ;)

And loving the new identity too. My neighbour was convinced he'd caused that bullseye on the front registration plate as he left his handbrake off and his car rolled slowly into the Cruiser at 0.01 mph and nestled there all night. He sheepishly admitted his driver faux pas but I just laughed it off and told him it had always been like that.

You've done amazing work on the PT, Neil - hope it does Mrs Neil many many miles.

My neighbour was convinced he'd caused that bullseye on the front registration plate as he left his handbrake off and his car rolled slowly into the Cruiser at 0.01 mph and nestled there all night. He sheepishly admitted his driver faux pas but I just laughed it off and told him it had always been like that.

It was probably me that did that. I'm forever smashing front plates on the towbar of my other car while parking on my drive...

• 2 weeks later...

Update time, and we have a FTP

Got a call from the better half telling me she couldn’t get any gears and was holding up lots of traffic where she’d managed to stop.

Nipped out to rescue her and sure enough, the clutch pedal is on the floor.

Managed to start it in 1st and limp back to the workshop where upon investigation, the clutch hydraulic reservoir is empty and more importantly we have this under the bellhousing...

post-17519-0-50734100-1549383917_thumb.jpeg

Ok. So that would be the concentric slave cylinder. Joy.

Mmmm that didn't go well for ol' yellow...

It’ll more than likely live to fight another day.

In the greater scheme of things, once the work to convert it into a van is underway, it’s a relatively minor inconvenience to whip the box off and replace the CSC.

Just a bit of a pain in the arse with it’s timing considering it is (was) the only road legal car we have at the minute but worse things happen.

Anyway, it can go and swap places at the farm tomorrow with the 9-5 Aero which is halfway through its MOT to do list.

With a bit of luck, that can be sorted and on the road by the weekend....(famous last words)

Aw bollox, that really is crap.

Definitely no prior inkling of that, usual seller's guilt (once removed) still applies though :(

No indication of it at all until this afternoon...had a couple of issues driving through town and was heading back so njgleeds could diagnose and 1/4mile from garage it went Right in the middle of bonkers school traffic!

Hey ho I’m sure ‘Boris’ will live to see another day if njgleeds has anything to do with it, and the Saab will be on the road quicker than planned as until it is he has to get up early to take me to work

Aw bollox, that really is crap.

Definitely no prior inkling of that, usual seller's guilt (once removed) still applies though :(

Don’t be daft...it’s performed faultlessly every day since it arrived with absolutely no warning of impending failure.

So much so that it’s really worked it’s way into our affections thus safeguarding its future.

It will survive.

Edit: I’m downstairs typing this whilst the Mrs is upstairs in the bath on her phone. Living the autoshite dream...

Bugger me. Have you seen the price of clutch kits for these things? £240 for the plate and cover + £190 for the slave cylinder.

This may need a rethink.

I wouldn't bother with the plate. There was a bill for £800 for clutch replacement a couple of years ago and it hasn't done many miles since. £190 is still bad but I'll wager the plate is fine