Let’s go cruising, PT style...YeeHaw!

NorthernMonkey

They fit because they are VAG wheels off an A3 I broke. Much better than what it came withpost-19511-0-77878600-1547494428_thumb.jpg

If the front wing looks like it has been repaired by a four year old, well...post-19511-0-35896000-1547494550_thumb.jpg...that's because it was.

Im so glad this appears to.have gone to the right home, can't wait to see it as a van. Keep us updated.

That bloody wolf rug... :-D

How many of your neighbours have moved house since you brought that car* home, then?

They’re used to me.

At first they tried to complain to the parish council about my truck so I just got elected as vice chairman.

Soon put a stop to that.

Well played mate, it looks a million rupees now. Good to see it hasn't headed to the procrastination pile.

Anything else to be done before the good lady puts it into service?

Cheers m’dear.

Put a bigger battery on last night...some pics were taken which I’ll post up soon.

Other than that, there was still a slight rattle over the potholes which has been tracked to oval anti-roll bar bushes.

A new set are on order and in the meantime, I’m currently drilling out two snapped anti-roll bar mount bolts.

Right chaps...I know you're all on the edge of your seats waiting for the next thrilling instalment.

First of all, the battery. These came as standard with a 'Optima' gel battery which is designed to fit under the passenger seat on its side. Needless to say, these aren't the cheapest when they need replacing. However, space under there is at a premium. This one currently had a 063 wedged in which was a little under spec for a 2.2 CRD engined car with electric everything in the cabin...

post-17519-0-46030500-1547639040_thumb.jpeg

However, under the battery is a plastic tray...

post-17519-0-26476400-1547639123_thumb.jpeg

This can be taken out which results in valuable extra space...

post-17519-0-14992000-1547639147_thumb.jpeg

Enabling a small but significant upgrade to one of these...

post-17519-0-48494800-1547639195_thumb.jpeg

You'll have to trust me when I tell you it can be squeezed in because by the time it came to put it back together, I was knackered and ready to call it a day so forgot to take a picture and I'll be buggered if I'm taking the seat out again to prove it!

Make sure nobody of the heavier persuasion sits over it, a colleague experienced the battery shorting out on his VW beetle, the battery lived under the rear seat and his mother in law, a rather large lady, collapsed the seat onto it.

It's pretty well insulated...there's a thick plastic cover which clips over the entire positive terminal then a bit of rubber matting between the top of the battery and the seat frame.

Next job was the roll bar bushes. A pair were delivered which actually cost as much as a complete bottom arm with bushes and ball joint...go figure?

post-17519-0-66653500-1547655386_thumb.jpeg

Once the broken bolts were drilled, I attacked them this morning with the gas axe and an easy-out before refitting the roll bar with the new bushes.

post-17519-0-11983500-1547655517_thumb.jpeg

The eagle eyed among you may have spotted fresh paint...whilst it was up in the air, I took the opportunity to clean up and treat the rear axle and front subframe with gravel guard. Other than a bit of scab under the offside front outer sill where someone in the past has tried jacking it, it's now remarkably solid and clean under there.

post-17519-0-34143800-1547655545_thumb.jpeg

post-17519-0-24881200-1547655567_thumb.jpeg

Finally, the handbrake had an excessive amount of free play so the rear brakes have been stripped, cleaned and adjusted up properly.

Oh yes, the bloody aerial has been attacked with a blade and the horrible green and red plastic coating has been removed too...

post-17519-0-72682600-1547656128_thumb.jpeg

Last job on the cards is a wash....not sure it makes much of a difference but hey ho...

post-17519-0-31555700-1547656223_thumb.jpeg

I suppose I'd better tax it now so the trade plates can go back in the desk drawer.

Wow, impressed at the work put in thus far.

I'm not sure what it is about it but I suppose having provided so much entertainment for the forum, the poor thing deserves a bit of TLC and the chance to live on.

It's a bit like a three legged dog with mangy fur that you've bought of a bloke in a flat roofed pub which just sits at your feet and stares lovingly up at you. You know it's a bit shite really but it's harmless enough and is still capable of chasing the neighbours cat.

Right chaps...I know you're all on the edge of your seats waiting for the next thrilling instalment.

First of all, the battery. These came as standard with a 'Optima' gel battery which is designed to fit under the passenger seat on its side. Needless to say, these aren't the cheapest when they need replacing. However, space under there is at a premium. This one currently had a 063 wedged in which was a little under spec for a 2.2 CRD engined car with electric everything in the cabin...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

However, under the battery is a plastic tray...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

This can be taken out which results in valuable extra space...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Enabling a small but significant upgrade to one of these...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

You'll have to trust me when I tell you it can be squeezed in because by the time it came to put it back together, I was knackered and ready to call it a day so forgot to take a picture and I'll be buggered if I'm taking the seat out again to prove it!

Did you find the little clamp in the glove box to replace that horrific metal strap that was in there previously ? That bastard sliced and diced me a fair few times on one of my regular recharge escapades. That's one behemoth of a new battery and should make this so much more reliable.

The eagle eyed among you may have spotted fresh paint...whilst it was up in the air, I took the opportunity to clean up and treat the rear axle and front subframe with gravel guard. Other than a bit of scab under the offside front outer sill where someone in the past has tried jacking it, it's now remarkably solid and clean under there.

Pleased to report the ham-fisted jacking up at the front weren't me guv. That rear axle and subframe looks well nice - job jobbed :)

I absolutely love all the attention given to this old crate and so glad it's going to be pressed back into daily duties, mangy fur or not.

Yes, it has a face only its mother could love, but it really is a good old bus, and the changes you've made to a 100K diesel should hold it in good stead for many miles yet.

Genuinely impressed and chuffed in equal measures.

She needs to take off her Stetson and confirm her email address then!

Green means that it hasn't been confirmed by the user.

I’m back...AutoShite emails had gone into Spam (how dare they!)

Official key hand over already taken place, Volvo XC90 returned to Neil’s care (without fuel and with a blown headlight lamp lol...I can hear the Women drivers comments )

PT Cruiser has been washed and the inside polished..we are going to have a few fun months before Neil sets to and converts it to a van

Pleased to report the ham-fisted jacking up at the front weren't me guv. That rear axle and subframe looks well nice - job jobbed :)

No, the damage is years old but pretty insignificant anyway. It’ll probably get a tidy up before the next test as part of my ‘working through the previous advisories’ list but it really is quite tidy under there.

I found the clamp but the metal one works fine and is probably more secure.