bangernomics

Childhood TV cars

There was also Jim Burgermack druving cery sliwly around Jersey in an old Triumph, andlots of old shite in All Creatures Great n Small driven by t't vetenry, 'James Erriut'. Then we had a very poorly acting Lee Majors as 'Colt Sheevurz' with hus conspucuous GMC 4x4 pickup.

Tgere was also the infamous Checker cab in the sitcom Taxi, the Dodge Monacis in Hill Street Blues, Edd Tripplewood's menacing black Jag Mk3 XJ...

attachicon.gifminder.jpg

Terry was sposed to be having that X-pack scrote in the background until someone realised he couldn't possibly afford it on Arfur's wages!

then of course SLE 71R turned into a mk1.5 in laters series

Remember thinking dad was ace cos he had a green 3.0s and the minder coolness? Had rubbed off on him.

Ok, here’s a puzzle. Somehwere around 1976 there was a children’s drama serial that culminated in a chase scene on some waste ground in a red Maxi. (Spoiler alert) The Maxi ended up going over the edge into a quarry, morphing economically into a scrap Lancrab just before it did so. There was also a mysterious character who drove a DS and was known as The Citroen Man.

It may also have used the middle bit of Kraftwerk’s Autobahn as its theme music, but that might have been something else.

Anyone else remember this? And what it was called? I can’t remember anything else about it, which says a lot about what I was interested in as a child. (Until Mindy came along, anyway.)

Blimey I remember this! And I remember the Maxi morphing in to an 1800 too! The show starred Peter Duncan as a young speedway racer and was called King Cinder. It was a Bbc children's afternoon serial and it came out in 1977. Even the Wikipedia listing mentions the Maxi quarry climax! post-20412-0-88689000-1548441077_thumb.jpgpost-20412-0-30760900-1548441249_thumb.jpg

Blimey, Hardcastle and McCormick, I’d forgotten that one.

How about Matt Houston? I always thought his cheesy faux-30s car was an Excalibur, but it was a Sparks Roadster apparently.

post-4091-0-58280500-1548454459_thumb.jpeg

With a bunch of MG Midget nestling in the middle of all that chintz.

post-4091-0-71124100-1548454649_thumb.jpeg

Massive thanks for the King Cinder tip. I remember it now. I can finally sleep at night now I’ve stopped trying to dredge that name up.

Guest Hooli

Blimey, Hardcastle and McCormick, I’d forgotten that one.

How about Matt Houston? I always thought his cheesy faux-30s car was an Excalibur, but it was a Sparks Roadster apparently.

attachicon.gifDBE639BA-8E5D-4C6D-AFED-B8DB1F933309.jpeg

With a bunch of MG Midget nestling in the middle of all that chintz.

attachicon.gif448C56E9-82FE-478F-961C-8A23275C88A5.jpeg

Massive thanks for the King Cinder tip. I remember it now. I can finally sleep at night now I’ve stopped trying to dredge that name up.

I'm glad you mentioned Midgets or it'd have bugged me for days as to why the doors & windscreen looked familiar.

If those doors were good enough for a Panther Lima...

Did that Sparks Roadster do the same with the MG Midget as a Beaufort did with a Mini? The whole body tub surrounded with chintzy fibreglass?

Back in the sixties there was a cop series based in N. Africa (Morocco?) where everyone drove Fiats.

There was a 2300 coupe for the top bloke and lots of Fiat 1500s for the minions and baddies. What was it called?

Back to page 1 or 2 of the thread, the batmobile looks remarkably similar to a Lincoln concept car that was in (I think) my Hippo book of cars.

If those doors were good enough for a Panther Lima...

Did that Sparks Roadster do the same with the MG Midget as a Beaufort did with a Mini? The whole body tub surrounded with chintzy fibreglass?

Apparently not, Ron Sparks built them on a Cadillac chassis. It must be a contender for the worst (best?) ratio of cabin space to external footprint, making the XJ-S look like something Issigonis would take pride in.

Ron also made a Phaeton version with two Midget cabins bolted on in series:

post-4091-0-47459200-1548510046_thumb.jpeg

They are insanely expensive.

Back in the sixties there was a cop series based in N. Africa (Morocco?) where everyone drove Fiats.

There was a 2300 coupe for the top bloke and lots of Fiat 1500s for the minions and baddies. What was it called?

Back to page 1 or 2 of the thread, the batmobile looks remarkably similar to a Lincoln concept car that was in (I think) my Hippo book of cars.

Can't help with the cop show I'm afraid, but the Batmobile was indeed built on the remains of a concept car: the 1954 Lincoln Futura.  And yes, the studios often had deals with manufacturers to use their cars.  Why do you think nearly every car in Live And Let Die (just for example) is a Chevy???

I know you are all gagging to know so a bit of googling told me it was called Crane and starred Patrick Allen.

Wikipedia doesn't mention the Fiats and apparently the footage has probably all been dissed*

Info from Isidore Cyril Cannon for those of you who are unaware that there used to be a slang in 'The Print': Compositors also shared a special vocabulary of words or expressions. Some have passed into wider usage, such as ‘dissing’, initially used to mean distributing type into wooden cases, a recent and more widely used form of which means getting rid of something; and ‘lower case’, originally referring to the location of the case of type for small characters, but now made familiar through its use in computing.