bangernomics

Childhood TV cars

Jim Rockfords golden Pontiac Firebird from The Rockford Files - see also the black one on Smokey and the Bandit. Though that is a film so not allowed?

I dont think theres a bad car in any episode of The Rockford Files, but that Gold Firebird was the absolute best.

I hope you're p,eased with yourself you've just ruined one of my earliest childhood memories.

Daktari- I thought it was a Kenyan thing full of Land Rovers just like the Corgi one.

Wrong- it was bloody American and full of left hooker Jeeps , just 2 token Land Rovers and it looks like at least one of them was borrowed from Disneyland.post-17414-0-23689100-1547241871_thumb.jpeg

post-17414-0-57989600-1547241895_thumb.jpegpost-17414-0-38803800-1547241915_thumb.jpeg

You'll be telling me next that Lord Brett Sinclair's DBS V8 was just a six with V8 wheels and badges.

It didn't make me a shiter, nor do I have the compulsion to own one...

afaa9c5831ac35a9f49e598f0e84d554.jpg

but I did like a Lincoln Continental Mark IV. I recall shoving a pillow up my shirt as a kid and doing a bit of karate chopping and gut-barging a la Frank Cannon

I no longer need the pillow.

For me it was early eighties reruns of the Dukes of Hazzard and the beginning of a secret lifelong love of Plymouth and Dodges with bench seats, column change autoboxes and an effortless capacity for hundred yard burnouts. Still never owned one yet though.

It didn't make me a shiter, nor do I have the compulsion to own one...

afaa9c5831ac35a9f49e598f0e84d554.jpg

but I did like a Lincoln Continental Mark IV. I recall shoving a pillow up my shirt as a kid and doing a bit of karate chopping and gut-barging a la Frank Cannon

I no longer need the pillow.

Worked with a guy called Austin Cannon, his brother (actor) is called Frank.

With retrospective, my latest obsession is finding shite on the Sale Of The Century:

post-19684-0-67600800-1547243768_thumb.pngpost-19684-0-61880300-1547243786_thumb.jpegpost-19684-0-79745500-1547243799_thumb.png

Yes! That really is a Duster!

And apparently there was also an episode where the star prize was a Lada 1200 and Nicholas Parsons accidentally tore the door off...

i don't remember the saint driving a Volvo P1800S,

i remember him driving a white Jaguar XJ-S. but i'm only 44.......

Screen-Shot-2018-03-26-at-12.24.49-PM.pn

and how come no-one has mentioned the professionals RS2000 or Crapi's?

TELEMMGLPICT000149675888_trans_NvBQzQNjv

vhk12w.jpg

or Arfur's various Jag XJ's and Terry's mark 2 Crapi from Minder?

carlot_03_old.jpg

bfc81059903299cdae0d4f9a28f1477d.jpg

Corgi mind-warpage also occurred in my memory - I never did see a bloody Dynamic 88 in Man From Uncle....

You wouldn't.  Chrysler supplied the cars for the show, so you'd see them in Dodge Chargers and Monacos.   Corgi were using their imaginations.  Not for the last time, as Kojak's Buick was never in that coppery gold.  It was much closer to black.  But bonus points to them for offering that and the Torino in two scales!

i don't remember the saint driving a Volvo P1800S,

i remember him driving a white Jaguar XJ-S. but i'm only 44.......

Screen-Shot-2018-03-26-at-12.24.49-PM.pn

TELEMMGLPICT000149675888_trans_NvBQzQNjv

vhk12w.jpg

or Arfur's various Jag XJ's and Terry's mark 2 Crapi from Minder?

carlot_03_old.jpg

bfc81059903299cdae0d4f9a28f1477d.jpg

We're too old for those to qualify as childhood?

For me, The Saint will always be Roger Moore, driving the fastest Volvo on the planet.  Broccoli missed a trick, not getting him in a Volvo of some sort at least once in his time as Bond.

Corgi mind-warpage also occurred in my memory - I never did see a bloody Dynamic 88 in Man From Uncle....

I'm sure I had the model where I pressed something on the roof NS and IK popped out of the windows to shoot.

I hope you're p,eased with yourself you've just ruined one of my earliest childhood memories.

Daktari- I thought it was a Kenyan thing full of Land Rovers just like the Corgi one.

Wrong- it was bloody American and full of left hooker Jeeps , just 2 token Land Rovers and it looks like at least one of them was borrowed from Disneyland.

I didn’t even know it was in colour. It certainly wasn’t on our telly.

I'm sure I had the model where I pressed something on the roof NS and IK popped out of the windows to shoot.

That's right, it was a 1961 Oldsmobile that Corgi had already used in several roles.  They issued it as the (incorrect) UNCLE car in two liveries: cream or metallic dark blue.  Fairly sure I have both, although I didn't even know the cream ones existed until 20-25 years ago.

Don’t forget The Professionals’ earlier British Leyland fleet. Bodie had a Triumph Dolomite Sprint, Doyle had a TR7 and Cowley had an SD1. After Series 1 the production team got fed up with the cars breaking down all the time (legend has it) so they moved on to Fords.

I can't really remember any of The Professionals scenes any more - they've all been supplanted by Keith Allen and/or The Comic Strip Presents lampooning the genre with a masterclass in sliding over bonnets and exiting your Capri without allowing a shiny roof to highlight your burgeoning double chin (solution: make sure Bodie and Doyle only ever get out of cars with vinyl roofs)

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Childhood for me was in the '90s so

raammp.jpg

Things like police camera action, police stop and recently discoverd on youtube "x cars"

Him, with this thing

15oxuzq.png

And this, didn't like the programme so much but my dad had a cortina at the same time, and even now my aunty still likes to act posh, but she isn't

vy9p9d.jpg

I was sure I'd read somewhere the reason BL stuff was only in the first series of the Professionals was inherent unreliability. Equally sure I read somewhere that Joanna Lumley had problems getting an MGB GT into reverse on the New Avengers which just happened to have been fitted with a Princess gearknob

That's right, it was a 1961 Oldsmobile that Corgi had already used in several roles.  They issued it as the (incorrect) UNCLE car in two liveries: cream or metallic dark blue.  Fairly sure I have both, although I didn't even know the cream ones existed until 20-25 years ago.

Yeah, mine was metallic dark blue.