BX17RD - the further adventures of PBO

vulgalour

27 minutes ago, artdjones said:

d3120200.jpg.7419a8b37f0ad2c037af57d82948486c.jpg

The pin is no.12 in this diagram. It sits between the adjuster and the clutch fork  and when the clutch cable is in good condition and proper adjustment it can't drop out.

They have often been replaced by a stud of suitable length with the ends ground dome shaped.

Absolutely extraordinary post. Thank you so much! That makes sense now. I'm surprised it just sits there freely and stays!

I'll get the pin from Chevronics and see what's what. Where are you getting these diagrams and incredibly specific knowledge?!

1 hour ago, SmokinWaffle said:

Absolutely extraordinary post. Thank you so much! That makes sense now. I'm surprised it just sits there freely and stays!

I'll get the pin from Chevronics and see what's what. Where are you getting these diagrams and incredibly specific knowledge?!

It's the same as a Pug 305. Can be fun* finding it after the cable breaks on an urban traffic light junction where it lands right in the middle. Puzzled looks from other motorists, who probably think you're a nutter, trying to retrieve something they can't see. I now have a couple of spares made from threaded bar with the ends rounded. Originally would've had a plastic cup on each part it joins to to stop the bid for freedom.

@SmokinWaffle bit late to the party on this but if you are struggling for parts, there is a chap called Big Mick at EuroCarCare in Derby. They post stuff.

I’ve had lots of stuff from these guys in the past, some seriously random stuff too. These guys worked on BXs when they were new and know them inside out.

He responds well to emails.

All fixed as of yesterday - good to have the old boy back.

Magical pin in place:

PXL_20201205_125110716.thumb.jpg.a4a111ea01c2ea65409cb5ab148ad07a.jpg

And it's fixed! Bloody dirty though...

PXL_20201205_163256527.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.283f818b39010598367eff622c9f83b1.jpg 

Had fun dipping my hands in ice cold water that had collected in the scuttle to clear the blockage of leaves from the poxy tree over my drive while it was sitting at a weird angle

Aaaaaand right back to work collecting a bloody big heavy desk!

PXL_20201206_105330014.thumb.jpg.3843f9334130bef2960e22847902f5b3.jpg

Happy days. Missed it.

@artdjones and @puddlethumper - I don't seem to have the spring (fig.9) from the image. I figure that's there to stop the cable snapping back as far if that pin falls out? Doesn't seem required and looks like it hasn't had one in a while. Worth getting?

Did a 50 mile round trip in it tonight with no worries.

On 11/17/2020 at 11:45 AM, Fabergé Greggs said:

If you like raging UKIP'ers ;)

It depends what your priorities are I suppose! Whenever I've dealt with them  they've always been efficient and managed to find me some BX bits that I haven't been able to get elsewhere. Not like AEP, who cancel your order (without informing you) when they haven't got something and simply don't bother to reply to emails. Or like Garage80, who sent me a reconditioned* height corrector that pissed LHM out faster than the broken one on the car, and then fucked me about for weeks over a refund (which was never satisfactorily concluded). Or the stupid twats (sorry, I can't remember now) who sent me completely the wrong hessian seat base things for the Ami, after telling me in the most patronising terms possible that they were identical to 2CV ones, and "when you've worked with these cars as long as I have, M8...".

Along with Der Fransoze and Pleiades, Chevronics are the only classic Citroen parts operation I've dealt with that haven't turned out to be useless wankers.

7 hours ago, SmokinWaffle said:

All fixed as of yesterday - good to have the old boy back.

Magical pin in place:

PXL_20201205_125110716.thumb.jpg.a4a111ea01c2ea65409cb5ab148ad07a.jpg

And it's fixed! Bloody dirty though...

PXL_20201205_163256527.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.283f818b39010598367eff622c9f83b1.jpg 

Had fun dipping my hands in ice cold water that had collected in the scuttle to clear the blockage of leaves from the poxy tree over my drive while it was sitting at a weird angle

Aaaaaand right back to work collecting a bloody big heavy desk!

PXL_20201206_105330014.thumb.jpg.3843f9334130bef2960e22847902f5b3.jpg

Happy days. Missed it.

@artdjones and @puddlethumper - I don't seem to have the spring (fig.9) from the image. I figure that's there to stop the cable snapping back as far if that pin falls out? Doesn't seem required and looks like it hasn't had one in a while. Worth getting?

Did a 50 mile round trip in it tonight with no worries.

I think it's there to keep everything together without any opportunity for the pin to fall out. If one had been fitted it would have stopped the bell crank lever, no 8 , from flopping about and letting the pin drop out. If you can get one I would probably fit it.

95589542 is the part no. Maybe ask Chevronics what they think.

3 hours ago, artdjones said:

I think it's there to keep everything together without any opportunity for the pin to fall out. If one had been fitted it would have stopped the bell crank lever, no 8 , from flopping about and letting the pin drop out. If you can get one I would probably fit it.

95589542 is the part no. Maybe ask Chevronics what they think.

Ah - that makes sense. You're an absolute encyclopedia my friend - thanks again.

Edit: Chevronics don't stock it sadly. I'll try the chap that @Ian_Fearn suggested!

1 hour ago, SmokinWaffle said:

Ah - that makes sense. You're an absolute encyclopedia my friend - thanks again.

Edit: Chevronics don't stock it sadly. I'll try the chap that @Ian_Fearn suggested!

Yes, or any spring that is just starting to be stretched in the rest position would do. A brake shoe return spring? Or sometimes motor factors will have a selection box of springs in stock.

Incidentally, did I imagine the fact that someone put up yet another Chevronics/Brexit post, to which I replied sarcastically? It's disappeared anyway, along with the reply.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am completely neutral on the Brexit question, for a number of reasons. Apart from anything else, I haven't lived in the UK for 30 years. I was just sick of people trying to leverage it into every personal and business interaction. What happened to live and let live?

23 hours ago, artdjones said:

Yes, or any spring that is just starting to be stretched in the rest position would do. A brake shoe return spring? Or sometimes motor factors will have a selection box of springs in stock.

Incidentally, did I imagine the fact that someone put up yet another Chevronics/Brexit post, to which I replied sarcastically? It's disappeared anyway, along with the reply.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am completely neutral on the Brexit question, for a number of reasons. Apart from anything else, I haven't lived in the UK for 30 years. I was just sick of people trying to leverage it into every personal and business interaction. What happened to live and let live?

I'll have a look around - my dad is a HGV mechanic - he said he might have something lying about. Works for now though. Seems to chug a bit when I start it from cold almost like it's missing w/a bit of smoke but always powers through and runs fine. Probably just lack of use - not too worried....

There was another one of those posts, I reported it and it got deleted. I just want to post about working on and learning about a car that I love - and I'd like it if people reading this thread would respect that and not bring it down with unrelated politics. If I wanted a political discussion - I'd bang my head against the Facebook virtual wall. I come here to avoid that.  I wanted a clutch cable - not a political debate. Not aimed at you - or anyone really - but just generally.

Moving on swiftly....

Anyone have any idea on how to troubleshoot a heated rear window? Unsure if it worked when I got it (@vulgalour?) but now it's a bit irritating with the cold weather. It warms up and clears the second line down, misses two then two lines below it are fine, rest is still cold. I guess it's a pain as you have to check all the traces ect ect....

I cleaned it too. Well - I say that, some people in a local unlabelled building with £5 scrawled on the door and some jet washers did. Too cold and busy to be doing it on my drive at the moment:

PXL_20201208_100843661.thumb.jpg.8276af390c4a3dafaa894a327b804dd9.jpg

Some light bird poop stains on the bonnet but that always happens on my drive and they come out over time

spaces are tiny and the space next to me is blocked by a tree so people don't use it anyway before someone says bad parking...

There were two traces, maybe three, that didn't work when I had it but it usually cleared pretty well otherwise.  It was sometimes a bit slow to clear the bottom half but did do it eventually.  Is the switch playing up still?  Sometimes it would lose connection if it hadn't been used in a while, you can tell if it's that because the light goes out well before the lines have started working and if you wiggle the switch a bit it comes back on.  It's probably the usual rubbish connections thing.

19 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

There were two traces, maybe three, that didn't work when I had it but it usually cleared pretty well otherwise.  It was sometimes a bit slow to clear the bottom half but did do it eventually.  Is the switch playing up still?  Sometimes it would lose connection if it hadn't been used in a while, you can tell if it's that because the light goes out well before the lines have started working and if you wiggle the switch a bit it comes back on.  It's probably the usual rubbish connections thing.

Funnily enough it started doing that the other day. I remember it working when I got it. maybe I'll just give the back window a good clean on the inside and out (I assume it's not inside the glass) and see if that helps.

They'll just be painted on traces.  You can still get those kits for painting them back on, no idea if they're any better than they were in the 80s/90s. I did find the switch behaved itself after a long drive in the rain, seemed the longer the switch was on, the better the connection got.  You are in the time of year to keep an eye on the windscreen seal too, if you start getting a lot of condensation on the inside of the windscreen and/or damp carpets, get some Captain Tolley's squirted into the windscreen seal to stop it.  I suspect there's a tiny little bit of the windscreen that isn't perfectly bonded in to the frame, Tolleys was the one thing that sorted it out last time I was using it in really wet weather.  I never got as far as getting a new windscreen put in though I reckon that would fix it totally if you can get a good fitter.

• 4 weeks later...

What have I done recently....

Not much been going on due to bereavement and some other very shitty stuff....went to start it christmas day and no glow plug light. Thought the relay had gone but cba so just drove my other halves car.

Looked at it a few days later and the wiring that had been redone to get it home after the small fire we had before the MOT due to a frayed cable shorting on the injector pump was a bit worse for wear.

Spent a little while with my dad rewiring, soldering and getting it safe and solid again. Main live spliced to the pump, glow plug relay and another relay of some kind. As pretty as it can be - but safe and functional.

PXL_20201228_125721801.thumb.jpg.97e4ed0b0db443526daddfe081d7b4a3.jpg

Also recently treated myself to a 3D Printer kit which I built and am now having fun with. Expect something for the BX that's semi-useful sometime soon maybe. Depends how easy I find 3D modelling. How hard can it be!

End result after about 16 hours of building (and another 6-8 hours of configuration/firmware adjustment/levelling/learning). Very much a time sucker but so so so much fun to me as an IT chap.

PXL_20201223_200011509.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.d3c5b866eec0b4595114cfc8e7d7216c.jpg

On 12/31/2020 at 8:36 PM, vulgalour said:

Did the cold start chuntering sort itself out?

It did not - I only noticed it when it got really cold. Can you shed any light on it? Don't remember reading about it in your thread. Sounds like a misfire to me and will do it for 3-5 seconds - most likely will stall as soon as it starts if I don't give it a hefty dose of throttle. Hear it miss/stutter/struggle, then a nice cloud of unburnt diesel comes out and makes a nice black mark on the floor and then it's fine! Very odd. Runs fine after that.

On 12/31/2020 at 11:00 PM, Ian_Fearn said:

Glad you’ve been able to put the roof bars to good use!

They are awesome! Fit like an absolute glove. Will come in handy as I often see furniture locally for free and move things for friends.

I never got to the bottom of the cold start chunter.  I got as far as replacing basically the whole fuel system and gave up.  It was another of the self-healing issues too, you couldn't get it to reliably do it and I could never pin it down.  Eventually it just stopped doing it but I had the stalling out at idle issue that made me price-drop it, and which it then automagically fixed.  I suspect there's an intermittent fault on one or more components and it's one of those that you can only diagnose when everything aligns just wrong.

As far as I'm aware, yes, or at least it seemed to be doing what it should be doing.  I did wonder if it was something like that part failing sometimes when the temperature/humidity/planets weren't quite to it's liking which is why the problem wasn't a consistent one.  It had other issues too, like split fuel lines and a leaking injector pump, which clouded the issue.  It could go weeks without an issue at all and then one day you'd get in wonder if it was actually going to start at all.  Then it would be fine again, usually for ages.  A very odd problem.

A new one, no less.  From memory, the things it had to resolve the mystery issue while I had it (you can wade back through the thread, but hopefully this is quick and handy ref for Waffle and co):

• Reconditioned injector pump (at considerable expense) to cure a leak
  • New leak off pipes to cure split and leaking ones
  • New flexible fuel hoses to cure split and leaking ones
  • Pre-heater bypassed (no discernible difference).  I believe Waffle put this back on again with no discernible difference too.
  • New fuel filter, twice
  • Fuel tank inspected, no obvious sign of problems
  • New glow plugs
  • New fuel filter primer button cap thingy to cure suspected air leak (never did confirm that one)
  • Waffle has since done the glow plug relay when that crapped out on him.

So it's quite literally had all of The Usual Suspects attended to.

I had tons of issues over the years on BXs with these primers.

Only genuine/excellent quality ones work. The rest cause all manner of weird running issues. I used to scour scrap yards for original ones and provided quite a few people in the Citroen Car Club with good used primers.
I also had issues with ‘new’ glow plugs. I would never fit a plug now without testing it on the bench first.

I doubt it's the parts I fitted at fault.  Neither made the problem worse or better in the long term.  The old primer was the original, the glow plugs worked just the same as the new ones I put in.  The problem is, I suspect, elsewhere and intermittent.  I couldn't be doing with it in the end, it spoiled an otherwise very nice car for me and put me off diesels completely.

The waxstat can be checked by adjusting it so that it pulls the little advance lever behind the pump to its maximum extent when the engine is stone cold. Obviously there should be appreciable movement in the lever when the engine is warmed up.

It might be worth getting someone to push the lever as far as possible away from the timing belt end before during  a cold start and seeing if that affects the running.

Another suggestion is that some diesel might be leaking out of one or more injectors overnight and collecting in the cylinders. A new set of nozzles fitted to the injectors wouldn't be too expensive. 20 years ago it cost £50 so I suppose it's up around£100 now.

On 1/3/2021 at 7:32 PM, Ian_Fearn said:

I had tons of issues over the years on BXs with these primers.

Only genuine/excellent quality ones work. The rest cause all manner of weird running issues. I used to scour scrap yards for original ones and provided quite a few people in the Citroen Car Club with good used primers.
I also had issues with ‘new’ glow plugs. I would never fit a plug now without testing it on the bench first.

On 1/3/2021 at 8:02 PM, artdjones said:

The waxstat can be checked by adjusting it so that it pulls the little advance lever behind the pump to its maximum extent when the engine is stone cold. Obviously there should be appreciable movement in the lever when the engine is warmed up.

It might be worth getting someone to push the lever as far as possible away from the timing belt end before during  a cold start and seeing if that affects the running.

Another suggestion is that some diesel might be leaking out of one or more injectors overnight and collecting in the cylinders. A new set of nozzles fitted to the injectors wouldn't be too expensive. 20 years ago it cost £50 so I suppose it's up around£100 now.

Cheers chaps. I'll take a look at these sometime probably! @Ian_Fearn don't suppose you have any original primers or a contact to any?

The real issue at hand here is that the chrome pen on the badges is wearing off in the rain. Boo.

Had an issue with the glow plug light not coming on in the pissing rain before work. Went to open the bonnet and the little plastic handle came off in my hand which was nice. Can still open it with some jiggery so I'll fix that when it's not raining or so cold I feel like my hands will fall off.

Once I poked the wiring on the relay end it was fine. Probably redoing that whole connector with some fresh wire and metal bits that go into the relay will do the world of good. Either that or just hard wire the relay, ignore the fire risk and plead ignorance when I eventually cause a fire on my drive...

Coolant light is back on too and comes on and off as it pleases. Wiggle the wire and it goes off so probably need to rewire that too. I see some spools and soldering in my future when it's warmer. Fed up of everything being brittle!

If anyone fancies seeing this/related things on the AS Calendar 2021 - pop over here and vote for 8,9 or 10 (9 seems popular), or here and vote for pic 2. That jag is lovely though and deserves it more!

Sorry but I sold all my BX parts as a job lot getting on for 10 years ago now. All I can suggest is you ask about in the BXclub forum.

Non genuine or poor quality primers cause difficult or intermittent starting issues and something much more subtle (especially on the non turbo version) is when you feel a flat spot when trying to accelerate through corners. Not so much a misfire feeling, more as if acceleration doesn’t equal accelerator pedal input.

The last XUD engine I had came from a Peugeot 306 and I fitted it to a Talbot Express. The engine came with a Lucas pump and I swapped it for a Bosch pump. It needed injectors, injector lines and simple mods to supply lines but it also converted to the plastic filter housing with cartridge filter and rubber primer bulb that I never had any trouble with in any vehicle.