BX17RD - the further adventures of PBO

vulgalour

As tradition dictates, an thread.

It all kicked off here: http://autoshite.com/topic/34152-citroen-bx-17rd-for-sale-sale-on-hold-as-its-done-a-citroen-the-little-bastard/

Lorry is booked for collection tomorrow and a 340ish mile round trip awaits.  It will be a long, but rewarding, day.  No live collection updates because I live in the olden times and even if I didn't, I'm not sure I could be entirely arsed.

ea4528fd4aceadddcb7fcc6cfe375a44.jpg

I am looking forward to meeting Dean-numbers, his collection of wobbly French cars and, of course, Bleriot the BX.  It will probably be too dark to do anything when we get back on Friday so I suspect Saturday I'll be up bright and early to get stuck in and see just what I've let myself in for.

Mr Dean is a fabulous host! He let myself and Mr Bub into his house and everything! (shame the sofa was broken though so we couldn't sit down, did you ever get that fixed Dean?)

So it's Friday tomorrow, you and Mike... Getting a pipe... Fixed by Wednesday yes?

Mr Dean is a fabulous host! He let myself and Mr Bub into his house and everything! (shame the sofa was broken though so we couldn't sit down, did you ever get that fixed Dean?)

So it's Friday tomorrow, you and Mike... Getting a pipe... Fixed by Wednesday yes?

Sofa broke?, Never, must have you beko!???? I've just got home so I'll be up around 11.30 watching out for a recovery truck. I do have really mixed feelings about this and letting him go but committed now and going to the perfect owner really. Anyway, I've worked out Ive only drove this car for a maximum of 500 miles since the last MOT. I'm a firm believer in cars should be used, so I'm obviously not using it enough so it's time to let him go. Just incase I forget tomorrow when you arrive, no Brakes due to no fluid! Good job bx's have brilliant handbrakes! Looking forward to meeting you Angyl and putting another face to a name.

Today started very, very early.  8:30am alarms are not welcome when you normally finish work at 10pm-midnight.  However, the level of excitement was such that it didn't really matter.  Mike had already gone to collect the truck before I woke up and got delayed on his return by an accident (not involving him, thankfully) on the A66 so that delayed us setting off by an hour.  It got a little interesting too because it just so happened that today, Dollywobbler was collecting his Daewoo Matiz so an impromptu gathering happened at Dean's place.

There were some sights on the very boring drive from Stockton to Coventry.  A spectacular hand-made number plate.

201901-01.thumb.jpg.4f40ab23c409bd1d293bc38506e03a68.jpg

A plain-bumper Ford Ka.  I was suprised how many Kas of this shape were bumbling about on our way in.

201901-02.thumb.jpg.b6ec69ea4077d6e310c19484448d76b0.jpg

As we neared the destination we went past a Volvo 240 estate, a Triumph 2000 on slotmags and sporting plenty of primer (it looked amazing), a SAAB 9000, and a Fiat 127.  I failed to photograph any of these things because I wasn't quick enough with the camera. I did, however, grab snaps of the tidy BMW, the ruined Reliant and the rather brilliant BMW bike and sidecar within spitting distance of Dean's.  As is often the case on these adventures, the old rammel density increased as we approached the destination.

201901-03.thumb.jpg.b13fa78d6d6546e5b3959239d16d6a46.jpg

201901-04.thumb.jpg.22c6d75c562e303b0424583cb9e971df.jpg

201901-05.thumb.jpg.9a308a92e850e51bd04c7569c93f0583.jpg

I then utterly failed to get any pictures.  Mr Dollywobbler was there with Purple Myrtle looking resplendent (the Matiz, that is, Dollywobbler merely looked tidy by comparison), as was Dean, and Bleriot the BX.  Discussions were had, the truck lined up, DW took video of us all being Men and Doing Things, in which I'm sure we'll at least look like amateurs, possibly even look like we know what we're doing.  Bleriot was kind enough to dump the sods of grass he'd scooped up into the middle of the road before getting on board the truck.  There was a slight clearance issue at the apex of the bed, but with a bit of a shove of engine and a small bang, all was fine.  Dean was brave enough to pilot Bleriot up onto the truck since I wasn't that confident I could do it and of all of us, he was perhaps the most competent.  He certainly made it look like he knew what he was doing.

Before I got chance to get a snapshot of anything, Dollywobbler was zooming off and Dean ushered us indoors for beverages, paperwork (where I was embarrassingly incompetent at using a smart phone), and then on to see the third white BX in the form of his rather tasty St Tropez edition.  Also got a quick look at the XM estate and felt very much like I'd missed out on what looked like an excellent vehicle, definitely one that's with the right person.

We eventually remembered to do the money thing, and then it was off for a rummage in the spares stash which unearthed three spare wheel trims, which will be a useful addition to my scant spares selection. All too soon it was time to head home, it would have been nice to stay longer, Dean is a lovely bloke, excellent seller, made me feel very guilty taking Bleriot away.

On our way home we found a rare stretch of sodium lights on the motorway and Mike and I sighed wistfully that soon these too will be destroyed in favour of the glaring LED horrors.

201901-06.jpg.d99b2aa98a8e3aca87e90e2a8f87ea1f.jpg

201901-07.jpg.e200bef9bc03e2bcaf3b061638afccf2.jpg

Eventually, we stopped for something to eat and check the straps were all good, which they were.  Obligatory snapshots taken.

201901-08.jpg.db2d3d08f488218cbb3c16f152a02f5e.jpg

201901-09.jpg.7905ae196a1b69164a82ecb977d0f909.jpg

As we got nearer home, the breaks became more frequent.  The Vauxhall we'd hired had the strangest seats that were both comfortable, and had the unique ability to send just your bottom to sleep, rendering it one of the most uncomfortable things we'd been in.  That combined with the length of the day meant plenty of coffee breaks, even more necessary with the traffic and sporadic roadworks, the seemingly hundreds of broken down vehicles and even a crash bad enough to close one lane.  Even as a passenger it was a tiring journey home.

Once at the unit, it was nice to get out of the truck and do something else.  Getting the BX on the truck was fairly straightforward, but getting off again wasn't.  The bit of car that had got a little stuck going on, was a lot stuck when we tried to get off.  Two planks of wood under the back wheels sorted this and we cleared the apex of the bed nicely.  I also nearly ran Mike over because even being as quick as I could on the handbrake, and as careful as I could with the clutch to creep the car back, momentum took hold and the BX trundled off without any further drama.

First important job was to check the dashboard shelf was suitable for my little mascot.

201901-10.jpg.a0de4e91f3e69309b4a3def4967dbce2.jpg

I've missed this view in particular.

201901-11.jpg.b5f38a5709e09d516ed664fb326b2aa1.jpg

I've very much missed this particular space too.  It's sooooooooooo comfortable.  So nice.

201901-12.jpg.60ed7bcd9642cf465452b3f56c1f69f5.jpg

I'm so happy.  I'm so happy this was such a painless purchase, and that I got to meet shiters again, and have a look around some more Citroens, and it was just a really neat day out.  I also now have a BX and that makes me happiest of all.  It's a really, really good BX too from what I've seen of it.  There's very little to do, it's clean inside and out and really just needs a bit of spit and polish.  The clutch is NICE, which is really rare when I buy a car.  It feels comfortable and familiar and I feel very, very fortunate to be back behind the wheel of a BX.  So a big thank you to Dean for not changing his mind, and for Mike in agreeing to another of my ridiculous car buying escapades, and to 500tops for his help in facilitating this whole deal.  You've all made me a very happy person indeed.

Before reluctantly heading home, because there's nothing more I can do until tomorrow, I took a few parting snapshots in the terrible lighting.

201901-13.jpg.ce42498edabd9eb060a29022ee2e1f28.jpg

201901-14.jpg.ef026e3bb4d6f922ff1f73b19816e39a.jpg

201901-15.jpg.4bb1180a539cea15993de75055e9afd2.jpg

201901-16.jpg.4190edea60aed82b808cfaa72b9a3e7b.jpg

Dean was sensible enough to fit yellow headlights and, amazingly, the headlights are actually really very bright.  I'm not used to this on a letterbox headlight Citroen.  Did I mention I was happy?  I'm very happy.

The clutch is nice and light as I fitted a new clutch cable last year. Once the pipe is replaced and the welding sorted out he'll be a cracking little car again. There's lots of little niggles that I pointed out to keep you entertained for a while! Was a pleasure to meet you both and Mike is now on my birthday card list(cheque in post). Did I mention I got teary eyed as you drove away?

SiC: I'm happier.  I wish I could express just how happy owning a BX makes me.  There's certain cars folks get irrationally excited by and for me, a white BX is one of those cars.  Comparing it to the Austin in any way is unfair to the little Austin, to which I was very attached and did feel considerable guilt about parting with... so I'm relieved it ended up with the right person.

Dean:  I can believe it!  This is not a car I want to part with either now I've got it.  There's something about it, some cars have that something, and this one has it.  Makes absolutely no sense in any rational way.  I'm looking forward to having a good go through everything tomorrow.  There's not a great deal to do really, it's in excellent shape and should clean up beautifully.

I want to go and fettle it RIGHT NOW.  I'm hoping to remove the pipes that require replacement so we can get the ball rolling on those quickly.  Then, maybe a tickle with the welder?  Maybe a splosh of satin black on the rear wiper arm?  We shall see.