Dailying a XJR for the sake of the climate - Parts Ordered

Guest Hooli

I'm in Uckfield. I've not been back in Sussex since I left to move north, I've not missed it.

The seller said he might be here to pick me up, but isn't answering his phone. Hopefully that just means he's driving.

If you’ve ever read a book called maximum diner you’d be sight seeing right now.

Deal done, no pez shot as the local petrol station was utterly rammed. So have this instead, it should get me home by about 9pm.

You were out of luck with petrol. Shell is currently rebuilding theirs which was situated on the bypass. Don't know why it is taking epochs to do but it is.

What a lovely engine bay.

Just stopped at Clacket Lane for bladder reasons.

Initial impressions are it needs a few bits sorting as you'd expect considering I paid £2,495 for a V reg with 76k on...

Tracking is miles out
Tank vent seems blocked judging by the hiss when I filled up
Parking sensors don't work but these cars are easy to park so I don't care
Sounds like shock bushes on the back need replacing
Drives damn well apart from those bits and everything seems to work
Goes like a stabbed rat on speed :D

I love these wheels too, I don't think I've seen on of these on these wheels before. But I think they are genuine.

244275b6b8c7e79f4e77bbc38d1d2a9c.jpg

I wish, those are still out of range with the engine they deserve.

Now sat in a pub with a pocket full of money awaiting a fry up as I wait for my train. I left too early as normal.

Can't believe no one has commented on that wierd shaped egg. Probably only me that things it looks like an upside down fanny to be fair

I've just got home. Final score is 22.4mpg on a long run with cruise on a true 70.

Flooring it down a slip road makes the most amazing sound, it's all blower whine and stupid acceleration. Bloody fantastic and all I'd hoped for.

Tomorrow I'll clean the throttle body, fit new batteries in the fobs, pair the fobs to memory seat positions, find the rattle which is suspect is the NSR shock bushes and take it to get tracked.

Oh and cancel the insurance and SORN on the Sov.

Right then, now I'm on my laptop & eating here's some more pics stolen from they ebay advert. Now Ghosty as said it, I agree they might be XK8 wheels, I'll have to check. They look perfect on it, whatever they are.

post-20217-0-97782500-1547158679_thumb.jpg

post-20217-0-32598000-1547158715_thumb.jpg

post-20217-0-88921600-1547158733_thumb.jpg

post-20217-0-26086700-1547158827_thumb.jpg

How's that for a factory fitted phone? I've not taken it out yet to see if it switches on. Factory nav too, I bet that's fantastic* with 19 year old maps! By the time I noticed it was there I was driving & it won't let you set it when the car is moving so I didn't bother.

Going through the history & talking to the seller, the rust in the MOT history (2014) got it a new rear subframe, so it wasn't body rust. I have found the underseal is coming off exactly where my Sov had a hole so I'll investigate that tomorrow but it felt solid so should just need cleaning up a bit.

All in all I'm bloody happy with it for £2,495. I've seen a lot worse ones for a lot more money.

Oh yeah & hitting that tight slip road from the A22 to the M25 where the signs say '30'. It goes round that dead flat & rock solid at 60, the Sov would be all roll & body squeal. It's surprising how different they are & yet the XJR still has decent ride quality too, not Sov levels obviously but it's still good.

That looks grand. Never seem those wheels before either. Mind me of Watanabes or Compo MLs. Would look EXTREME ERECT IAN if they were a darker gunmetal colour.

Well bought though man. It sounds like a flat turning peach. Looking forward to further JAGACTION.

Loads of leapers round here these days which is GOOD NEWS.

Fucking hell hooli , u woz only 2 miles from me and 1  mile from Gigglepin !  

I had no idea! I grew up in West Sussex so I was in disguise in case I saw anyone I knew lol.