Mercedes clk buying advice

Rustycarlover

A good bus, I had a 320 a few years back, lovely engine and box, better than 4 pots I'm told but no worse on fuel. Front to back pipes go over subframe and rot well, I've been there. Steering wooly.

ABS/BAS/Traction lights on is usually brake light switch, they eat 'em. Cheap and easy to fit.

As already mentioned, 320 is the preferred motor - Mrs Pirate has the supercharged 230 which gives decent poke and reasonable economy, but it's a harsh old lump when pushed, like a Ford CVH.  230 also prone to fracture of the stainless exhaust manifold.  Nice wafty things but imprecise steering, it's not a drivers car.  Rusty arches, boot lids, doors, worn seat bolsters, but otherwise pretty sturdy.  Ours does mid-20s MPG but spends most of it's time in town, gets up to low 30s on a run.

Don't pass up a cheap 430 v8.Max waft,similar mpg to 320.And they're fast.Knocks from front suspension will be ARB bushes.Cheap easy fix.Make sure you get 2 keys or be prepared to spend £200+ for a spare.More wiring than a 747,so check all electrics thoroughly.Great cars,hit rock bottom now and a bargain.

100% agree about getting a 320 petrol, brilliant things.

Rust, lack of maintenance and condensation in oil are things to look out for. Especially rust. But they're so cheap at the moment, it's hard to think of a more fun car for the money.

Had an A209 in 240 Avantgarde flava for 3 years.

Only ever had one tiny rust blister which never got any bigger. The  strut for the hood saver in the boot went, common problem, but only £28 for a replacement.

Other than that, it really wasn't a problem at all. Went well and not to tough on the juice. The W209's are now seriously cheap now too.

Love mine and I think the comment about handling is unfair. Mine plants itself nicely where I point it. If I were buying another - and I nearly have a few times - I would go for the 430 just for the V8 factor.

The main things I have had to do with my 230 have been front suspension related (bushes and the like). My manifold was cracked (it is a double skinned thing), but you can get decent OEM bits from Germany. Rust is a bu66er - mainly cosmetic and if you find one with decent arches then there is a very good chance the whole car will be good. I would say get the best you can afford (generally a good rule) as they are so cheap that even the best is not much. Best tip would be to get the WIS cd manual from eBay for a tenner and then you have full access to all part numbers for your specific car. This means you can find decent OEM parts or at least go well armed to the dealership (which is not as expensive as you would think for certain bits).

Oh, and try and find one with lots of options as these make no difference to the price. Accidentally I bought mine with full leather, heated seats, nice stereo etc.

If you have any questions, please do ask as I could go on a lot more…