Cavcraft 2021: More Italian slow shite.

Cavcraft

enhanced-4359-1411513413-26.jpg.210b541e9d2d05136360d0e99bebe0f2.jpg

I just hope you sell it for lots of profit before you get corrupted, you have my number, if you start looking at Hawaiian flower things to hang off the mirror just call and I will be straight up there to redirect your search toward dnepr 650 outfits, you aren't alone, we all care about you, stay with us.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Billy Cavcraft, for the crimes of high treason against Autoshite and serious assault upon good taste, I hereby sentence you to spend the remainder of your natural life driving round Rhyl in an Iveco 75E14, with Gyles Brandreth in the passenger seat.

That'd be a deal if there was a pier with unfettered access to a shit 7.5 tonner.

I asked if it'd been lowered some how and he's agreed to swap back the standard springs if he can have whatever's on it now. Sounds like a bloody good deal to me.

I might have a friend who's Mrs has been talking about some sort of VW camper thing and one of these is the cheapest way for me, I mean him to ensure a a quiet life without spunking many thousands on some rusty piece of shit that he would hate driving and might lead to an unhealthy attraction to tattoos, weird facial hair and bmx bikes.

43 minutes ago, DaveDorson said:

Don't really understand the hate for these.  They're a good van, drive almost car like, easy to get parts for and have a very supporting after market and knowledge base.

I've been through a few, and I'm still slowly chipping away at restoring one.

I think the trouble with VAG stuff is all the hype.  I don't level this at you, M8, but if you talk to so many of the fan bois, they seem to talk about anything Volkswagen/Audi in such revered terms, people expect them to be something special. And that's the rub, because they really aren't any better than their opposition imho. In fairness they might not be as shit as some of us say, but they're not worth the premium lots of people ask for them.

Said the man who's just paid a premium for one. 

1 hour ago, DaveDorson said:

Don't really understand the hate for these.  They're a good van, drive almost car like, easy to get parts for and have a very supporting after market and knowledge base.

I've been through a few, and I'm still slowly chipping away at restoring one.

All old stuff is for me more interesting than modern stuff. Dont get VAG hatred in general though, think its because folk see it as too populist. Theyve made some good stuff over the years (and some shite!). ?

16 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

I think the trouble with VAG stuff is all the hype.  I don't level this at you, M8, but if you talk to so many of the fan bois, they seem to talk about anything Volkswagen/Audi in such revered terms, people expect them to be something special. And that's the rub, because they really aren't any better than their opposition imho. In fairness they might not be as shit as some of us say, but they're not worth the premium lots of people ask for them.

Nail on head here.

I know, I know, I've got 2 VAGmobiles at the moment. The S4 is something a bit special though IMHO and the Octavia is(or could be) a good car and less pretentious than a Mk5 Golf or A3 that shares the platform. 

1.6 8V, the bloke had worked for Vauxhall, possibly even had a hand in the car and got it through the scheme.

Don't know how much it'll be yet, won't be cheap though!

I like it.

TBF RE Volkswagens, they're better to work on and more durable than the equivalent Ford/Vauxhall stuff of a similar age IME. That being said, as mentioned they're not worth the cheeky premiums that some folk seem determined to attach to them and I can (Sort of) understand the VAG product resentment that's prevalent here on that basis.

4 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

To be fair mate, VW stuff made after 1991 doesn't really interest me, and anything pre 2000 tends to be rusty enough to irritate me too.  I'm a bit of a VW paradox.

The T4 I could take or leave, if it was any good I'd have sacked off the T3 that's in the garage.  I mean having a warbly 5 cylinder diesel is nice and that, and it drives alright, but it's not exactly the last word in commercial vehicles.

I've been through a few MK3 Golfs, they're like a shit B3 Passat in my eyes, with added wiring woes and rust.

MK4 platform stuff is too complicated and full of that shit rubberised trim, soft touch stuff that breaks, and crappy cheap switches, but they do rattle a fair bit less than the same age fords and Vauxhalls do.

That said, if you want a build a really fun performance classic, it's definitely cheaper to do it with a beetle than it is a ford of the same age ;)

I saw my mates invoices for parts for a BDG rebuild a few years ago, and I reckon I could build a Formula Vee single seater racer, a rally prepared 1303S, and a full on cal look drag racing VW beetle with massive IDA's and Porsche Fuchs wheels for less than went into his cylinder head!

That's the other issue with the VW crowd, they don't know the value of anything, but moan like fuck about the price of everything.. unless they're selling.

I liked my T4 - it was a decent thing to drive (apart from that bastard cocking gear lever - WTF were they thinking with that?), sounded nice and had decent visibility.  It wasn't any better or worse than any other van its size though (admittedly it was less rusty than a Transit or Vito the same age).

I would love another Series 1 LT van though, and that's basically just an overgrown T25, so it appears I'm a massive fucking hypocrite.

I like the van, as day vans I reckon they're great. We used one for family holidays as a kid, so I'm biased because of that but they're good at what they do.

As for the VW/VAG thing, I've owned stuff from the mid 80's and early 90's that have been really good.

My B3 Passat was bought with no MOT with 160K on the clock. It was destined for scrap. For the test it needed discs and pads, CV boots and a service and managed to go on for another 4 years and 50K miles before I eventually got rid if it due to the clutch release bearing giving up 160 miles from home when it's MOT was almost up. In that time it needed general servicing and some suspension bits but everything still worked on it, the interior was still in great condition and it hadn't started to rot.

I also owned a 1994 Audi 80 TDI which had a serious case of laquer peel/exzema, but just kept on going. It'd done well over 250K miles before it died, and was killed by someone rear ending it rather than mechanical failure. The MK3 golf based stuff I've owned has been OK, not terrible but not amazing.

The modern (to me) stuff impresses me less (even though I've just but a MK4 Golf based car), but in general if it's been looked after it'll last well enough.

On the flip side the 9N Polo 1.2 that I had felt very disposable. You could tell that it was built with the intention if becoming a kitchen appliance within 10-12 years. I think all modern cars are going this way though, it's the way they're all built.