Cavcraft 2021: More Italian slow shite.

Cavcraft

I am reliving my teen years follow your bike purchases.

I had a Honda CD90 as a dirt bike when i was about 13 and a mate had a RD125LC in the mid 80's too that leaked oil for fun.

We took the engine apart and replaced the oil seals and used the correct sealant on the crankcase joints instead of the white bathroom  silicon stuff that had been used previously,it cured the leaks but it wasn't anywhere near as smooth as it was before we tinkered with it.

After a few days of getting "white finger" off the foot pegs and grips we pulled it apart again to find we had been total Muppets and hadn't lined up the two little dots on the crank shaft and the balance shaft.

23 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

This arrived today...

Image may contain: motorcycle, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: motorcycle and outdoor

No photo description available.

Image may contain: outdoor

It's still tested for a bit. Apparently it 'Drives ok for about 10, until it starts to heat up, then it starts to judder. After about 50 miles it will start to cut out'.

It was in a motorbike place for repair, they've fitted a new plug and HT cap and done the oil. I've no idea whether it's done the job or not, but it pulls very well!  

Ever since my mates FB boss bought one of these, they will forever be known as a Burger Man.

Whoops!

May be an image of motorcycle

Nice easy distance this one, was on eBay and it turned out to be about 1/2 mile away, and on one of the routes I take Barbara_Lee_Cartland on. It was a bit of hassle buying it (Paypal being twats) but we got there in the end.

• Cavcraft changed the title to Cavcraft 2021: Let's go Touring
On 1/30/2021 at 12:50 PM, Cavcraft said:

This arrived today...

It's still tested for a bit. Apparently it 'Drives ok for about 10, until it starts to heat up, then it starts to judder. After about 50 miles it will start to cut out'.

It was in a motorbike place for repair, they've fitted a new plug and HT cap and done the oil. I've no idea whether it's done the job or not, but it pulls very well!  

Oof. I like that even more than the Piaggio! Always fancied a go on one...

On 28/01/2021 at 14:03, Cavcraft said:

Another arrival today, an eBay special that seemed too good to ignore.  The fabulous @worldofcericollected it and dropped it off for a very fair price, it arrived this afternoon.

Image may contain: shoes and outdoor

Image may contain: outdoor and nature

Time permitting, I'll whizz the engine out (seized) and have a little look at it. 

Does it run...?

🤪

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

Whoops!

Nice easy distance this one, was on eBay and it turned out to be about 1/2 mile away, and on one of the routes I take Barbara_Lee_Cartland on. It was a bit of hassle buying it (Paypal being twats) but we got there in the end.

I have no idea what that is, but it appeals to me... it's only a matter of time until I end up with something like this I reckon!

i have this in my watch list and hes completely not far away which is making it difficult to not think of reasons not to go and have a snifter

right hand gearchange tho - never got on with them...............

but just look at it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gilera-175-Super-1965-175cc-Matching-Frame-Engine-Numbers/264760383692?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/c0oAAOSwGdJe4e96/s-l1600.jpg

them burgers are a cracking bit of kit, when i was in the suzuki owners, we had an oldish bloke come with us on a few runs, and he scared a few with the way he was taking bends...plenty of chamfer on the foot boards.. he traded it for the bells and whistles 650..think he'd done 45,000 on the 400

6 hours ago, hairnet said:

i have this in my watch list and hes completely not far away which is making it difficult to not think of reasons not to go and have a snifter

right hand gearchange tho - never got on with them...............

but just look at it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gilera-175-Super-1965-175cc-Matching-Frame-Engine-Numbers/264760383692?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/c0oAAOSwGdJe4e96/s-l1600.jpg

That (right hand gear change) is the reason I got shot of the DMW, just couldn't get on with that set up at all.

6 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

What happened with the Merc? did look back but either I am blind (possible) or ?

Interior fire :(

Drive to work/finish work/come home from work/get scooter/go back to work.

May be an image of indoor

Put scooter in new* car/drive  back from work

May be an image of outdoors

May be an image of odometer

May be an image of car and outdoors

May be an image of 1 person, car and outdoors

May be an image of car and outdoors

Do not exceed national speed limit

Do not race that bloke in his German whip, nor that lady on her Chinese bicycle. 

• Cavcraft changed the title to Cavcraft 2021: Hello, 211, what's your emergency M8?
2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

What a little sweetie!  What do these actually drive like with the 1.1?

It  did seem a little* gutless and the brakes are a bit Peugeot like. 

Pretty sure my missus subliminally told me I didn't have enough terrible old mopeds last night, and would hate to go against her wishes...

May be an image of motorcycle and outdoors

May be an image of motorcycle, outdoors and text that says "YAMAHA"

It's pretty awful, tbh. He did say the wiring needed attention, but he didn't say the last person to try and sort it was a pissed three year old who used some of the wires from the standard lamp in the front room of his parents house. After he chewed it.

58 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Pretty sure my missus subliminally told me I didn't have enough terrible old mopeds last night, and would hate to go against her wishes...

May be an image of motorcycle and outdoors

May be an image of motorcycle, outdoors and text that says "YAMAHA"

It's pretty awful, tbh. He did say the wiring needed attention, but he didn't say the last person to try and sort it was a pissed three year old who used some of the wires from the standard lamp in the front room of his parents house. After he chewed it.

Given how little wiring there is on one of those that's quite the achievement it sounds like!

On 1/30/2021 at 2:59 PM, LostnotFound said:

Did it come with the standard aftermarket upgrade of a claw hammer under the seat?

It's a shame I'd be paranoid just riding that anywhere south of the watford gap because they have always come across as the ideal extra urban commuter. What are they like on the motorway in crap weather? I'm sure it's just my own inbuilt scooter phobia that makes me presume they'd feel a tad shifty.

I had one very like that for a couple of years after I passed my test. It was hugely capable; it could be loaded up for camping trips, piloted along motorways in armchair comfort with excellent weather protection at 80mph for hours on end, and was no wider than the 125 I'd just discarded, so just as nimble in traffic with a ton more acceleration (and brakes) to boot. It always felt stable on long motorway runs, and not especially prone to side winds unlike the Helix that came after it...

The standard screen is wank, first thing to do is get a Givi touring screen and cut it down slightly so you can see over it. Mine never got up to temperature in winter, so I fitted a mega-expensive aftermarket Suzuki radiator blind (or I covered half the rad grill with Gaffa tape, can't remember which now) which cured it. People who complain about the handling of this sort of machine are either trying to ride them like a GSXRNINJABLADE or using shit tyres, or both. Fitting Bridgestones, and not riding like Rossi, always worked for me. 

They are pretty hardy, but there are a few things to watch out for: on high speed runs those early ones (AN400X/Y) could throw oil out through the airbox breather with obvious consequences if not checked regularly. The speedo drive uses a rotating magnet with two lugs on on the front axle, which is easily destroyed by the careless when replacing the wheel. The magnet isn't available separately and the fucking cable assembly it's part of cost £120 ten years ago (ask me how I know...). The only other thing is that the alloy rear wheel's splines will weld themselves to the output shaft if neglected, and can require sledgehammers at dawn to get the wheel off. Other than that they were pretty long-lived - I've seen several with 80000+ on the clock, and a couple that had made six figures. Your biggest problem will likely be, as you say, getting jacked by scrotes in that there London.

It was a great all-rounder, and coped well with pretty much anything you wanted it to do. But it lacked character. By this, of course, I mean that it didn't break down and leave you stranded in the pissing rain, or have oil and coolant leaks etc. I sold it because I'd wanted a Honda Helix when I passed my test, but there were none around then. When one turned up - broken, natch - I bought it and went from the aforementioned paragon of virtue to a slower, older, less reliable machine that handled and braked like a five bar gate. Takes all sorts, eh.

• Cavcraft changed the title to Cavcraft 2021: Krapasaki 400.

Erm, sort of bought this today...

It's an Ikea themed collection of GPX400 bits, really. The exhaust ends might find their way onto the chop in a probably futile attempt to make it slightly quieter than the height of the blitz in war torn London. 

Looks so much better* in the day light

IMG_20210213_121844.thumb.jpg.c88ede5b8ed009219df39bf26ff87685.jpgIMG_20210213_121535.thumb.jpg.c9ca7b53eeb2709b969c67d1a011104d.jpgIMG_20210213_121940.thumb.jpg.fc99493b55be950931dfb1ace0e7d7b0.jpgIMG_20210212_201707.thumb.jpg.8ed077db335f00f29b8d02063d95c1b7.jpg

In a blindingly clever move, I went to view another one today. 

IMG_20210213_131731.thumb.jpg.82ea75f9b5f3f4eded1c69dc71ef150a.jpg

Obvs like having absolutely no room whatsoever to spare, I bought it.