Cavcraft 2021: More Italian slow shite.

Cavcraft

2 hours ago, Saabnut said:

I guess you could not get on with the right hand gear change then :-) 

Is that a blue A50P Suzuki, ie the unrestricted one? If so, more pics please, my second bike (after an NVT :-( ) was one of those and loved it!

Yes, sadly after being chuffed to get it on the road, I couldn't get used to that right hand gear change and kept locking the back wheel up when I thought I was changing gear!

The blue AP is a French one, I believe there's a difference in the way the air filter is (or something like that) and they only got 4 speeds compared to 'our' 5. The spares bike (or one of them) is a UK 5 speed, or so he said.

In:

Image may contain: outdoor

One owner (plus supplying dealer) from new. Originally came from Meredith Motorcycles in Shrewsbury, which (from the photograph) is probably where Pete Jones Motorcycles ended up.

Shropshire's History Advanced Search | Shropshire's History Advanced Search

On 12/28/2020 at 3:23 PM, Cavcraft said:

*Boring modern car, soz*

Have pretty much ignored this since it came back off hire. Gave it a wash the other day, then (as mentioned elsewhere) it had two part worn tyres fitted. Due to some previous SKILLZ, YO! on the home valeting front, the interior never really dried out thoroughly enough and the carpets went mouldy in places. Have vacuumed it out today, cable tied a slightly-the-wrong-size wheel trim to the front and went to get some diesel.

Here's how it looks from a few yards away...

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Here's how it looks up close...

Image may contain: car

Image may contain: car

Basically, it was possibly used for blind folded parking in a brick factory, then washed once a month in a giant vat of battery acid. Still runs remarkably well though and is cheap on juice and tax.

Fucking hell cav,  what did you wash it with? Ally oxide grit??

On 1/7/2021 at 3:12 PM, Cavcraft said:

In:

One owner (plus supplying dealer) from new. Originally came from Meredith Motorcycles in Shrewsbury, which (from the photograph) is probably where Pete Jones Motorcycles ended up.

Shropshire's History Advanced Search | Shropshire's History Advanced Search

What are those Sferas like?  I've always quite liked the look of them.

8 hours ago, wuvvum said:

What are those Sferas like?  I've always quite liked the look of them.

Quite a funky little thing. It's stood a while and there's play in the back wheel so possibly needs wheel bearings, unless this is either normal or will tighten up. The rear arm seems to move a bit too, again unsure if by design or there's bushes to be replaced. Battery is totally kaput, but despite the petrol smelling disgusting it starts off the kick first time and settles down well. Left to tick-over for a short while, it rides great, albeit up to about the 15-20mph I took it to. Budget new battery and some gen-ing up on the back wheel first things to do, then take it for an MOT and see how it gets on. 

This is how it started, with a fairly odd advert:

'***** *** Cedar year 1988 H 10 months MOT needs a carburettor I had a AA start in the carburettor Karen is a small bit of work drives 100% and started'

(Lost messages which I deleted sadly, but we'll pick up again from the other day)

Hi Brian, would it start and run and make it back to Chester do you think?

'Yes put my invoices to bring and Orla hello Laura because you need to have it insured and taxed before you can move it'

'Yes'

Ok thanks I'll look into transport costs. What is wrong with the carb please?

'Start in the carburettor car drives fine one side is it a cheque to start in the carburettor so blockage'

(some more faffing about, then:)

'Yes bank transfer will be fine we’ll have to go another way to put it on the ramp because the battery is dead because he’s been lying down off a couple of weeks months even gorgeous with will try something to get it on but if he has a bunch working is also better let me know when you need my details'

(Later again)

'Hi Bella just send you a photograph of the logbook will be an hour ago yes to cut I am the second owner from new mate I just didn’t have the time or the money to do it up nothing noth'

Rewind to the other day, sorted recovery even though it's only about 8 miles away, it's across the border and not worth chancing it. It 'doesn't start because the battery is flat' but when asked 'it will go with a jump start and drive onto the truck'. Truck arrives yesterday with no winch (as he was told) car doesn't start with different battery or jump leads. He tried Easy Start, coughs and farts, nothing. Truck goes away, another truck (with a winch) comes back later. Message received saying it was on an d would be getting delivered in the morning (today) further to whichw as a message saying it'd been dropped off. Let's have a look then...

Image may contain: text that says "60 80 100 120 80 140 95845 40 60 4 3 5 160-100 160 40 20 2 180 20 60 200 20 F 1 UEL km/h MPH GK07 7 0 8 ×1000rpm FUEL WASHER CHARGE OIL に REAR BRAKE DOOR"

Image may contain: people sitting

No photo description available.

It's a 2.0GLX manual 7 seater. Brian* had been trying to get it started but clearly (despite what he said on the conversation thread) hadn't managed, or had but it packed up again. There are random new bits inside the car (plugs and filters, I think) and the air box is in the boot. Helpfully* the boot doesn't open on the key, if I'm lucky, a new battery will mean there's central locking and it can be opened. It has only had one owner before Brian and (from a super quick look) seems pretty solid.

Fuck knows why I bought it, but it's going to be up for sale VERY quickly.

• Cavcraft changed the title to Cavcraft 2021: Karen is a small bit of work. Bella's Cedar estate tales of woe.

Right, some afternoon tinkering:

Seat belt buckles arrived for Yaris yesterday, now fitted...

IMG_20210114_131436.thumb.jpg.45ac9c53f7aee1ff5e5d4686e9264b99.jpg

...the handbrake (highly ineffective) was made much better yesterday. One wheel bearing (advisory on MOT) needs doing asap.

Quick attempt at starting the Mazda, better battery fitted and put boost pack on too. It's got to be fuel related, excuse dreadful video, but you get the idea...

I approve of the Yaris, for some reason they've been on my list lately, they seem like a perfect small "an car" - my local pizza place has an immaculate posh spec one in a nice minty green which was spotless at first but is now starting to look decidedly takeawayed.

That Mazda seller's communication reads as someone using some sort of a speech-to-text  processor - at least I hope it's that.  The idea that someone typed that out on a computer screen, read back through it, nodded contentedly to themselves and then clicked Send is mildly distressing.

"..That Mazda seller's communication reads as someone using some sort of a speech-to-text  processor - at least I hope it's that.  The idea that someone typed that out on a computer screen, read back through it, nodded contentedly to themselves and then clicked Send is mildly distressing.."

aw, shucks @tooSavvy

31 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

I would guess he doesn't do writing very well and uses speech to text on his phone to send the messages? Some of the *random interludes are like him saying hello to someone who just walked in.

Would have sure improved the humour in Happy Days....

;)

19 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Fuck yes! Is this the one that was doing the rounds on the ebay tat thread for a while?

Yes, it was on there at least once.

9 hours ago, jonathan_dyane said:

Is it sparking? Maybe crank sensor? Great car.

I've not looked yet, just put a better battery on it and tried to start it.

Im fascinated to hear what the cedar year was for a Mazda 626? Perhaps that’s why it’s lasted so well what with cedar being a durable timber, maybe the pine year or the spruce year were all rotten within 5 years. What was he like when you arrived to pick it up? Reading the semaphores I’d have been expecting an absolute simian when I got there.