Cavcraft 2021: More Italian slow shite.

Cavcraft

10 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Billy, I forgot to mention but I spotted what I think is a spare ignition key either under the seat by the battery or in the rear cubby. I never did get around to seeing if it was for the bike or not......

Thanks Nick, will investigate that when I'm more sober. Also, and most importantly, a huge thank you for yesterday. As much fun as arsing about with old cars and motorbikes is, it's rare for me to get really excited about one, and the DMW is like every birthday and Christmas at the same time. 

We have a runner. Battery charged over night, bit of arsing about with choke position then let it tick over for a bit. Seems far nicer to pilot than the Fireblade which was too cramped for a fat bastard like me.

IMG_20200308_122929.thumb.jpg.576b6a4bb89fad5e9514ede4f383a73d.jpg

IMG_20200308_122933.jpg

4 speed indeed and crying out for at least another gear. Plan is to leave it how it stands, but think a mate has a spare 110 or 125cc Lifan semi automatic engine somewhere.

4 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

Yeah, at the risk of sounding like a rickety old man the position on that blade was a bit much for me too, I couldn't do much more than an hour on it without stopping to relieve my wrists (fnar)

You think thats bad - try a GSXR750. After an hour riding mine I felt like an astronaut who's parachute had'nt opened after re entry.

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

4 speed indeed and crying out for at least another gear. Plan is to leave it how it stands, but think a mate has a spare 110 or 125cc Lifan semi automatic engine somewhere.

If you go Lifan ,keep the origional motor, there's loads of sad old duffers out there who'd pay good money for this.

5 speed was the same except gearbox, bars and Speedo.

So many memories of a beast like this... some of them pain full :)

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

I'd leave as it is. So many saddo's (like me) like them as they were when we were 16. Only worthwhile mod is to 70cc Honda barrell, head and carb. Proper 1975 modifications

1 hour ago, Bren said:

You think thats bad - try a GSXR750. After an hour riding mine I felt like an astronaut who's parachute had'nt opened after re entry.

I had a GSX-R750G that I rode for 20,000 miles a year. Comfy as a comfy thing. But then I may have an elastic body!

21 minutes ago, Frogchod said:

If you go Lifan ,keep the origional motor, there's loads of sad old duffers out there who'd pay good money for this.

5 speed was the same except gearbox, bars and Speedo.

So many memories of a beast like this... some of them pain full :)

Totally. And the five speed had the shite cable operated front disc brake. Hopeless, plus the rubber mounted handlebars felt all wrong when trying to brake hard

The Suzuki Vitara has gone, last owner was desperate to get it back so he collected yesterday. That meant pure dollar burning a hole in my jet rocket, so it was on to eBay to see what's happening. That turned up something interesting not too far away (Hairnetty country) that ended yesterday evening.  Consultation with resident expert Mr @UltraWomble revealed it should fit in no problem, so took car instead of van...

IMG_20200314_111351.thumb.jpg.dacd4fbeed698f6e2bccc7abc9ae0cc1.jpg

Vendor removed mirror prior to me collecting, lobbed it back when home and went for a short blast. Verdict so far: GR8 fun.

IMG_20200314_121501.thumb.jpg.34a0435f80ce04c07e9a156545e6870e.jpg

IMG_20200314_121454.thumb.jpg.15d76e5a16ad0c5cd39b4993918ae69c.jpg

IMG_20200314_121445.thumb.jpg.7201f704c4f3b288c9bcc667404665e8.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Talking of smoke, the 406HDi is still out the back, as not been used in a while. It frequently displays its gratitude for spending about 14 random days cleaning it by behaving like a wanker. Tried clearing the DPF thing by warming the car up first, then going for a decent run and giving it some welly, i.e 5 miles down the by pass flat out in 3rd. That seems to clear out a load of smoke, but then it just carries on randomly going into limp mode. When it runs as it should, it's ace, but it very rarely does and pulling away at roundabouts is embarrassing. Once into second and third in limp mode it's just about bearable if you've not got someone up your arse end, but it's still shit.

If you don't try clearing it out it seems to run a little better, but I've not done a single journey yet (even the 3 or 4 miles to work) without the fucker playing up. The usual sign is that it shakes like a shitting dog at tick over and it feels like the clutch is vibrating, though when the car is behaving itself, that goes away.

Suspect it really needs one of those 'Carbon Clean' people with a buffed up old Vivara van to come round and over-ride the rev limiter, before taking it to about 9,000,000RPM for ten minutes, or whatever they do. The radio isn't very loud, but is very loud when it switches itself on for no reason, and the bastard things still stinks of bifters (but not as badly) despite the big clean up. Might possibly take the seats out and jet wash them, ditto the carpet.  My missus prefers to get a lift to work in the Transit as it's ' less horrible and doesn't smell as bad'.  I haven't attempted to sell it as at the moment it's useful as a garage door blocker and the nice Michelin tyres are the same size as the ones on the Galaxy.

*Edit: put a tincture of veg oil in it the other day, just to teach it a lesson. Not tried driving it since, but will possibly use it to go to work one day.

Sorry not seen the 406, is it a coupe with the 2.2hdi?

If so they did have optional FAP/DPF from about 2003, a shit system that needs unicorn jizz fluid, quite easy to map it out and gut the DPF, at least it was on my old C8 with the same engine.

99% sure that won't have a DPF, some other PSA licker can confirm.

Could be EGR, to be honest on these there is not much to go wrong. Is it a 110 or a 90 HDi?

Shaking at tickover could be an injector maybe? You could try putting a new fuel filter in, with a bottle of diesel magic or similar straight into the filter housing neat, then take it for the mother of all thrashings.

These are the old 8v HDi and are normally tough as old boots, taxi drivers in experts etc often downgrade to this lump as it's so much more reliable than the 16v that replaced it.

Lold at that review from your mrs though, not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Ahh, actually forgot, put a new fuel filter in that replaced a genuine Peugeot one, (but surely that's not the original?) that was absolutely minging. It did seem to make a difference for the first couple of miles, but it does have the odd moment where it runs ok anyhow. Not sure what BHP it's supposed to throw out, will try and find out.

It doesn't always shake at tick-over, but an injector could well be the problem, thank you.   

Asking about bhp as the 90bhp has a simple wastegate turbo which doesn't really go wrong and the 110 I think has a variable turbo which could have issues with vac hoses etc causing overboost and therefore limp mode.

You may be able to tell by looking, the 110 has an intercooler and the 90 doesn't, so if the intake looks like it comes from the back of the engine it's a 90, if you can see hoses coming to/from the front somewhere it will be a 110.

43 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

Asking about bhp as the 90bhp has a simple wastegate turbo which doesn't really go wrong and the 110 I think has a variable turbo which could have issues with vac hoses etc causing overboost and therefore limp mode.

You may be able to tell by looking, the 110 has an intercooler and the 90 doesn't, so if the intake looks like it comes from the back of the engine it's a 90, if you can see hoses coming to/from the front somewhere it will be a 110.

Yep, this is the easiest way to visually tell apart the 90/110 HDi engines.  If there's an intercooler it's the 110.

IMG_20200816_143415.thumb.jpg.12954611e3c412289e643adada91900c.jpg

Took it for a thrash before, started ran and drove ok. When you absolutely cane it (i.e hold it in each gear at max revs, or rev flat out at tickover) it makes a sort of ',wah wah' noise. Hard to explain, but it's like although it's staying at full revs, the noise makes it sound like it's fluctuating. Does that sound entirely stupid, or can anyone relate?

Thanks, as ever.

• 2 months later...

First day off work today, so bought a car. I actually thought it was a petrol for some reason, but's diesel so £30 tax, thank you. Obvs it was cheap and obvs it has a slight* problem, in that as fast as your pour water into the head tank, it comes out from the right hand side of the engine somewhere, even when the engine isn't running It seems the 'stat housing is the usual culprit (from a v.quick internet search) so if I'm lucky it'll just be that. The battery is a bit wank and one tyre was soft, so the dash home (about one mile) was made in record time. Initially thought the starter motor had gone, but likely thing is the battery, of which I have a few spares.

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Image may contain: car and outdoor

It is indeed the 1.3. 

Meanwhile, this has happened...

IMG_20201023_111744.thumb.jpg.b00cbeb3f3f07cc2f93bdb5b69aa177e.jpg

...thanks to @JayB and @Bucketeer. Arrived today, going to try a bike or scooter in it over weekend and hopefully it'll be big enough.