Volvo S60 D5 Injector issue

bigstraight6

I think I have a fuel injector issue, I’ve noticed a kerosene like smell from the drivers side bonnet area in the last few weeks and this evening I could detect a slight chuffing noise.

I whipped the engine cover off and said chuffing noise is much more noticeable and there’s an oily deposit at the base of the injector where it enters the cylinder head, and yes it’s the injector on the far right of the engine.

So I’m guessing that’s the problem, anyone on here changed injectors on one of these?

Sounds like a seal needs changing to me not the injector itself. Get it done sooner rather than later for fear of black death and then it being mega stuck in the head.

Black death is carbon deposit that leaks around the injector seal and essentially glues the injector in place. I had the injector seals changed recently on my Mercedes Sprinter - they are notorious for injector seals going. I had it done two days later and the injectors came out no problem.

If I were you, I’d have all 5 changed. D5 engines are common for injector seals going too

Here is an example of where the injector seal leak has been ignored....good luck getting those injectors out...he/she should have got straight on to it as soon as he heard the first slight chuffing

DO NOT LEAVE IT! And I would advise changing all 5 on yours at the same time for peace of mind, not just the chuffing one as you know you’ll get it back together and the week after next another one’ll be developing that choo choo noise!

The picture below is from a 2006 Mercedes Sprinter

post-24460-0-53106000-1546974522_thumb.jpeg

I've done it on a D5.  I don't remember the injectors being particularly difficult to get out, although one or two were a bit stiff and I think i gave them a bit of a wiggle with a big adjustable spanner.  I do remember being worried about it though, and there are videos on YouTube of people using slide hammers and so on.

Be careful with the pipes, as I believe they're a bit brittle and you can knacker the ends by overtigtening them.  Similarly, the tiny bolts that hold the clamps down only require the gentlest nipping up.

Here is an example of where the injector seal leak has been ignored....good luck getting those injectors out...he/she should have got straight on to it as soon as he heard the first slight chuffing

The picture below is from a 2006 Mercedes Sprinter

Bloody hell that's an impressive one!

That's exactly what happened to my 2.2dci laguna! Pissed oil out of the rocker cover gasket (shared with the exhaust manifold so a £££ item), and blew to the point that on a cold morning you could see it out of the 2nd injector. Scrapped it a few months later..

Do it now whilst it's an easy job! Or run away like I did

D5 is a fairly easy one. Only disturb what you need to.

I had to replace one injector as it was leaking back excessively meaning it wouldn't start. I has it done in half hour iirc.

Yes but u r a mechanic... I'd shit myself and loose a weekend trying it!

Well I Am, that is true. The access on the d5 is great, the worst bit is wiggling the injector free.

I think I might have loosened the clamp on mine and run the engine up until it «popped" out. Of course with the seal failed, it might not be necessary.

Yeah don't wait do it straight away as soon as you hear the chuffing.

The spaceship I did was an absolute ball

ache and I was on the verge of throwing in the towel which is not like me, the carbon build up took some shifting and I tried everything in my arsenal to remove it but in the end it was a scrape job.

Many thanks for the replies and advice, I popped down to Euro Car Parts earlier and got the new copper washer, the injector came out with a bit of persuasion with a set of grips. The copper washer on the end was very thin compared to the new one, cleaned up the injector and scraped the foul smelling bituminous mess from around the injector hole and bunged it back together.

The difference in the car is very noticeable, and sounds great and is pulling like a train now.