Bon Accord: Aerodeck content

Skizzer

How is the carb? if it nice and peppy to pick-up?

We'll need to have a comparison with my inj one day.

As you mentioned lights, I fitted some super bright led sidelight bulbs to mine for day time and low light use, so I didn't need to spoil the sleekness with the lights up during the day.

How is the carb? if it nice and peppy to pick-up?

We'll need to have a comparison with my inj one day.

As you mentioned lights, I fitted some super bright led sidelight bulbs to mine for day time and low light use, so I didn't need to spoil the sleekness with the lights up during the day.

Carbs are good - very smooth, lively if not actually fast. Picks up fine on kickdown.

Top night out. It’s very much bedtime so quick thoughts:

- Perfect town car - steering is super light, smooth autobox, enough oomph

- It’s not sporty, it’s a cruiser, and a good one

- Very relaxed and relaxing on the motorway although I might need to work on the seat position for a long journey

- Everything works - popup lights, electric aerial, all of it (maybe not passenger electric mirror)

- It’s very clean indeed and feels like it’s 5 years old, not 30

- FSH, all the original keys. I’m owner number 4

- Vantman is the best person in the world to buy cars from and lives by a quality chippy

Link to original for sale thread for reference: http://autoshite.com/topic/34108-1989-honda-accord-aerodeck-automatic-pop-up-headlamps-for-sale/

Night night lovely Honda.

post-4091-0-33418400-1546991465_thumb.jpeg

I am now home in Wales, courtesy of my stylish new executive car.

post-4091-0-73777800-1547232917_thumb.jpeg

It was entirely unruffled by heavy traffic on the Euston Road this morning and cruised happily down the M4. Having the popup lights popped up doesn’t make a noticeable difference to the performance, but there is less wind noise with them down.

I found a more comfortable driving position; the steering wheel is quite low, so a bit more reclining was needed. In fact the whole car is very low - sleek, even.

Hearing and ventilation are first rate - toasty warm heater when you want it plus fresh air on your face to keep you awake (I only had 5 hours’ sleep so this was a major plus).

When it was new, Car Magazine’s only gripe about the Accord in the GBU (in the ‘Interesting’ section of course) was its suspension. It’s composed enough but you do feel the bumps compared with something like an SD1, but it’s no worse than say a modern Astra.

The steering is very light. The turning circle is almost FX4-like. It’s got enough weight to be easy to track true on the motorway and one hand is all you need (fnarr). One foot, too, being an automatic, which highlights the absence of anywhere to rest your left one: the only ergonomic mis-step I’ve noticed so far.

Overall, the whole car has a feeling of very classy engineering about it. Apart from one or two slightly flimsy bits of interior plastic, it’s all very solid and robust. (There, that’ll jinx it for sure.)

The autobox isn’t a big fan of revs, so mid range acceleration can be a bit leisurely unless you floor it or put it into 2 or 3. Saying that, I’m comparing it with new cars that have had thirty years of further development.

That’s almost the Accord’s downfall: you forget it’s an old car. It feels about five years old.

Looking forward to some back-road testing over the weekend.

That's delightful, great to see it's moved-on to another good home within the AS circle.

If I didn't have the Sunny as my 1980s car fix one of these would definitely be on my list. I really liked the two previous-gen Accords I had, they had a smooth, well-engineered feel to them that I'd say was a cut above the rest of the Japanese makes for the time.

Please attend this year's FOTU and bring it along.

An NJ car is Brighton way. Might be a John Cooper Honda that. Does it have any old dealer stickers on it?

Theres one round here driven by some giffers I've seen before.

One foot, too, being an automatic, which highlights the absence of anywhere to rest your left one:

How do the designers expect you to comfortably fart whilst driving, if you have nothing to push against to lift your left buttock and let rip.

Badly thought out that.

Sorry to keep banging on about this Honda. I’m slightly overexcited.

We’ve now done the Welsh countryside test. It passes comfortably on steering and handling; a manual would add slightly more to the entertainment value, but that’s not really what an Accord is for.

post-4091-0-72438200-1547310718_thumb.jpeg

post-4091-0-51622700-1547310695_thumb.jpeg

The interior is a very, very nice place to be.

post-4091-0-58609400-1547310528_thumb.jpeg

Oh, and for once I worked out the fuel economy: with a mix of central London traffic, motorway cruising and a brief hoon, it did a smidgin below 35mpg. I think that’s pretty damn good for a 2 litre twin carb auto from the 1980s.

You're not wrong, if I'm getting 29mpg out of a 1.5 Mazda auto.

Oh, and for once I worked out the fuel economy: with a mix of central London traffic, motorway cruising and a brief hoon, it did a smidgin below 35mpg. I think that’s pretty damn good for a 2 litre twin carb auto from the 1980s.

I'd say that's bloody brilliant. Our 06 Corolla 1.6 Auto does about 29!

I've always liked these Aerodecks and they appeal more and more as time passes / my age increases. Couple it with a Volvo 480 for the ultimate in 80s WEDGE

An NJ car is Brighton way. Might be a John Cooper Honda that. Does it have any old dealer stickers on it?

The car was supplied new and formerly servicedby Collins Honda,Herstmonceux who are still trading.

Skizzer has a wad of service invoices from them as well as a dealer keyring and the car wears a worn dealer sticker.