Eddy's Saab 900 Convertible - broken - £scrap

angle

Dammit, I really don't want to be the person to kill off a forum car, but it looks like I am. This is a quick post on a train between work meetings, but the Saab has been shedding coolant at a more alarming rate than normal and the verdict is in - heat exchanger in the bank of the V has failed, which has taken the head gasket out. I'll do a more detailed post with its many other faults later, but does anyone want it for scrap value, ideally before the insurance runs out on the 16th? It drives, but it shat out enough coolant from full to put the warning light on in the 2 mile drive to the garage this morning, so not very far...

Right, so some more details:

Saab 900 V6 cabrio auto, quite posh in its day (it cost the same as a TVR Chimera would have done, a long time ago)

MOT until the end of July

120k-ish

I sorted the hood, which now (mostly) goes up and down, if its sat for a while it sometimes needs a helping hand along the way

It had enough welding to go through the MOT (about 200 miles ago) that I'm not going to mention how much it cost in case I start crying. I also won't mention the new battery it got just before Christmas in case I start punching myself in the face.

However:

Head gasket: fucked.

Heat exchanger: fucked.

Radiator: leaky.

Gearbox: tempremental (I reckon about 20% of the time I use it, it throws up a 'check gearbox' message).

Headlight wipers: turned off by gadgetgricey, the luddite.

My attempt at fixing the damage where someone drove into it the month after I got it: laughable. Don't apply filler in the snow, kids.

It also has various other issues which I can run down if anyone is serious about taking it on, but I think it's at a stage where you'd need to be brave / mental / on here to make it work. As I say, insurance runs out on the 16th so I sort of need to decide on its fate before then, but if someone is interested and needs me to hold on to it I can stick it on my inlaws drive for a bit, probably. I'm in Bristol, pretty central.

Photos to follow when I'm next near it in daylight. Thursday lunchtime?

Oh dear, I did like this until the roof decided it would rather stay where it was :(

That is a big list of problems, and there are cheap examples around with full test for much less than the costs of repairs last time I looked, it seems this poor thing needs to go to the breakers so others may live on more readily!

I so enjoyed the top down experience when owning this that I recently bought a Pug 206cc, which so far has needed a new rear axle, brake pads and discs, front wishbones and various bits and bobs, and will need a windscreen for the test which is mercifully half a year or so away - which makes the Saab look cheap and my P38 range rover positively reliable :shock::-P

A few really quick photos from where I dumped it round the corner from the garage just now (last time I tried to drive it back from there at 8am it took 55 minutes to do 2 miles, and that was in the school holidays...)

iin2FJD.jpg

tpUtjTa.jpg

fHleegV.jpg

Autoshite body repair ltd, although the frost is covering its true glory - note to self, remember to flat down paint before applying lacquer, you moron:

Ih7RjcU.jpg

YEi0lDK.jpg

How hard would it be to locate another engine and gearbox combo from something being scrapped due to galloping rot, and swap them out? Given that the vast majority of issues appear to be confined to the engine/box, that would seem to be the easiest thing to do. Even buying a rotten-but-drives-well V6 hardtop car complete might make a cheap fix?

I'd love to do it. Zero space for another vehicle though.