90's cars with no particular following

egg

I'm thinking about cars from the 90's era, that despite some approaching or exceeding 25 year old classic* status, have almost no following in the retro car world (the mainstream one, of course, not here).

Things that came to mind were:

- almost all non-sporting 90's Fiats

- most Japanese family car fodder (non sporting or exec)

- Ford Granada Mk3s

- Vauxhall Calibra (barely mentioned on even these hallowed pages)

- Most Renaults

What else is there from this 'long decade' (measured by some historians from when the Berlin wall fell to 9/11) that is either undervalued or underappreciated? Maybe even by us lot...?

Safranes have next to no following at all,no owners club,a forum with very few members and a lot of people who don,t like them or even knew Renault built such a model...

Even with my efforts to try and get a feature in a few car mags,I have achieved next to zero success.

Once Renaults most expensive car you could buy with at the time many "first time"features has resulted in next to no following at all.

Totally different story overseas though,forums,restoration and higher prices.

Virtually anything run of the mill from the 90s falls into this category. That's why there are so many bargains to be had from this era.

Agreed, but even the Mondeo has its little group of fans, Skoda Favorit definitely, anything with a Rover badge. But there's some stuff where a google search will reveal nothing.

But seriously, what is it with the Calibra? Straightforward mechanically because of it's underpinnings, radical design at the time, variety of engine options.

Should be more highly prized no?

I think they are a handsome motor and Much better looking than a probe

Plenty out there who love their Calibras!  The turbo 4x4 is now making big money and the V6 ones are getting more desirable now.  Most 'redtop' Calibras (and Cavaliers) got ripped apart for their engines in the late 90s/ early 00s :(

I've just noticed one of the Japanese importers is bringing them over, so looks like more than a following than I thought, if it is worthwhile for them.

For £3k this would be a stylish way to chase the Corsa's down the front.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-calibra-SE5/132898984354?hash=item1ef16591a2:g:K6wAAOSwyYRcInTd:rk:4:pf:0

s-l1600.jpg

1. Some cars - so few left or imported that there is not much chance of a big following developing as there are so few to get enthusiastic about - they just become a 'what's that' car. Fiat Chroma, a lot of Alfa's spring to mind. Will the Citroen BX go that way?

2.Some cars seem to fall into a trough too as repair costs start to get significant or spares become a pain. The Citroen XM has not really nudged a few 100's unless exceptional and seems a bit down. Not being dragged up by the DS values.

3. Or cars that don't seem to catch the enthusiast because there are so many interesting models from the same marque already. Citroen AX makes peanuts whilst the 2CV probably makes ×10 as much. Citroen ZX suffers from this. Will the Xsara go the same way. All are interesting.

IMHO....

I would say that Calibras have a following and are already on the up, as are Mk3 Granadas. Annoying in that they are two cars I would love to try out and will now need to pay a bit of a premium to do so, but it will hopefully save their numbers from falling further.

Aside from that, I agree with all the cars named on here. Others I think deserve an honourable mention are the Renault 19, Megane and Laguna, Daewoo Espero and Nexia, Citroen ZX, Mazda 626, 323 and 121, Chrysler Neon and the wide mouthed Ford Scorpio (although only myself and Junkman seem to like these, Ford scene tax is already being applied to those on eBay).

I guess it comes down to the fact these are all still relatively modern looking cars. If you were to park one of these in a supermarket car park, very few people would notice them at all, let alone register they were well over 20 years old. As a result, they just don't attract that much of a following (apart from on here).

Kia Mentor...

I guess it comes down to the fact these are all still relatively modern looking cars. If you were to park one of these in a supermarket car park, very few people would notice them at all, let alone register they were well over 20 years old. As a result, they just don't attract that much of a following (apart from on here).

This is a good point, but has its advantages - in that you don't attract unnecessary attention.

Hyundai Lantra

Daewoo Espero

Suzuki Baleno

Daihatsu Applause (yes, I know it has already been mentioned)

Kia Mentor

Proton Wira

See a pattern? Asian saloons that were typical bought by older 'sensible' people. The only reason the Subaru Impreza and Mitsubishi Lancer escaped this curse was the WRC connection.