For Shale, Mercedes Vito 639, 04/54, No MOT, £750,LWB. May break??

vaughant

Decided to sell my Vito as I've still not received a new contract with Honda (partly my fault) which could determine my need for accommodation and now I've got decent unit space this seems a bit surplus to requirements really.

The Story

Bought in June/July as I ran out of mot'ed cars (surprise surprise). Truthfully I thought my Zafira would walk the MOT which it would have the year before except the rules changed on airbags. Panicking and desperate for a pass, I decided to remove the clocks and cover the bulb (apparently tape on the dash is not acceptable anymore). In doing so I broke my indicator stalk and lost a load of screw's and clips. In typical man maths fashion rather than spend 1/2 a day sorting it I bought this instead!!!

Ok, that's not quite the full story but it was meant to be a very long term project to convert to a camper being the LWB version and suddenly it was called into full service and hasn't even hinted at letting me down since. I slum it for work as I work away by sleeping in my car/van and this has proved to be very roomy and comfortable if a tad cold this time of year.

However, it now has run out of MOT and requires welding to pass ( TADTS on this particular year).

The Van

On an Irish reg (HXZ 1675) I think it's 54 plate. The plate will come with the van if it sells in one. I like the plate so that may change as it's only worth £75 or so. I'll reflect this in the price.

Stats everytime, drives really well, bags of power in the 2.1 Derv. 6spd manual which can sometimes struggle a bit into 2nd, box oil has been done but its apparently a gearstick bush issue on these. Soon get used to it,if not pennies to fix.

No whines or undue noises from the drivetrain.

No Aircon but Central locking and electric windows, rev counter, all the essentials.

All removable panels are in excellent order (P/O had been collecting them over time and replacing as and when).

Heater is incredible, lovely warm van despite no bulkhead.

No wear on seats.

3 seat version.

Great load area.

The bad

Rust. Rear arches are shot BUT there are two replacements included (brand new).

I've cut one out as I wanted to see the extent of the damage and was actually reasonably happy.

It's taken the back part of the inner sill as well, about 4" square but the arch will come down to meet this so not an awful job.

Strut tops need two small plates.

It's passed every MOT up until now and the strut tops were never mentioned so I'll assume it's newish rust.

Rest of the body is good, no nasty dents or even scratches, I replaced the passenger door for a mint white one but broke the window reg in the process. £30 new. Motor still works fine. Wedged for now.

It does smoke but is intermittent, I can hear the chuff chuff sound of a bad injector seat which I'm guessing it's the likely cause. I've still put 15k on like this and it's got no worse but I think it maybe pushing it to pass the new smoke regs. The P/O thought it might be turbo/induction related but truthfully I've not investigated. Pulls really well, suits at 75/80 all day long. Mixed I get nigh on 30mpg, one particular tank saw 34mpg (full to fill not computer figures).

Front shocks are clunky, I've checked through all the bushes and they seem good. Brakes look recent too (can find out more if interested).

Starts first time, everytime even in the cold weather. The glow plug light stays on for a few minutes but this soon goes, it is from the internet research a bad plug somewhere. Never gets hot, even in the warm summer only heard the fan come in maybe once or twice.

No other warning lights.

Tyres close to limit.

I love driving it, the position is great and it holds anything in the back, amazing how much you miss a van when you sell one. Has a towbar and electrics fitted.

Twin SLD and rear barn doors. One SLD doesn't currently open but it did at first? Haven't investigated.

Ply lined.

Van stands me in at way more than the price but then it was mot'ed at the time despite needing more work. Plus it saved me a fortune in rent and various bits and bobs.

Normally a rusty van is worth £0.50p but these things seem to really hold their money. Plenty with well over 400k on them so at 175k I think in general mechanical terms you could be ok.

Worth it if you can weld, probably not if you can't.

As I've already cut the arch out and prepped the replacement panel, I can plug weld it into place if that helps anyone. I can certainly get it looking a lot neater as most likely your other half won't be seen dead in it as is ( mine won't anyway). I haven't done it because my welding is ok, but not show standard. A good welder would want to do it they're own way no doubt.

I may have some spares somewhere for it, between me and the P/O we things like wheels and plastics.

Price is pretty firm as they break for silly money, the key kit alone is £300 used (this had both keys also), engine/gearboxes/rear axle all seem to sell quite fast so that's also an option if I can get the big bits gone first. I have a dry area to strip it if that's more your thing.

I'll get some pics up asap when I can find some or I'll take a load next week when I'm back up in the light.

Book it in for an MOT and it will drive anywhere with no issues at all.

*** I haven't presented this for a MOT due to the obvious plus the new rules with OMGDANGEROUSFAULTS I didn't fancy getting speed by the old bill as they love* old van drivers. I'd be happy to present it for anyone free of charge but then it will show all the faults online forever more. If it was going to be converted to camper I think this would be detrimental***

All enquires through here at first please.

Thanks for reading.