Frozen shite - YOUR cold start Vids..

320touring

Inspired by Drum's Olds cold start video, thought I'd pop up a thread for all us saddos who love to hear an engine start from cold.

ONLY POST YOUR OWN VIDEOS PLEASE!

To kick us off here are some of mine..

My 306 DTurbo XUD

My 320i E30 touring

My Alfa 156 2.4 JTD 10v

Videos;)

Maybe tomorrow - I don’t have a youtube account though can I just load them here?

Edit, just found out about uploading videos, so I’ll give it a go. Too sick to go cycling in the morning anyway.

I’m also full of cold, so likely to sound like the creature from the black lagoon if I talk.

Older the car the more interesting they are to start especially those with carbs. Diesels always the most interesting on cold starts. Unless it's -30C out and then petrols struggle with the drag of the engine oil and gearbox oil.

Our A4 is boring. Once the plugs have heated it starts pretty much instantly. TT battery is tired so it usually weazes into life - occasionally takes two attempts if it's been sitting a while.

Was a warm day but this had been sitting for months unstarted.

[Video]

This was last year when it was +5C.

[Video]

I'm disappointed you have no cold start videos of your Morris!

I've got no video, 'cos this was a long time ago, but just imagine... it's a freezing cold north Wales morning, and you've cranked yer wheezy old diesel over long enough to flatten the battery. So then you summon something a bit more powerful to provide a jump:

post-19532-0-24953200-1546722958_thumb.jpg

The bastard still wouldn't start, and only did so once one of the steam engineers shoved an electric paint stripping gun up the air intake.

OK, where do I start!?

Probably the first one I did was the LT in 2008, when I made the schoolboy error of forgetting to pull out the cold start timing advance knob.

I did one for the BX in 2012 - sorry for the dodgy filming!

Another one for the LT filmed in winter 2013/14.

My old BMW motorbike in early 2014:

A Focus I owned for a year or so when I took to to the Alps in winter 2016. I started it up the day before we drove back - better to find out then that it wouldn't start, than when we've vacated our apartment and have 1000 miles to drive back!

Lastly another for the BX in early 2018 - I'd left it under cover with the windows open a crack for ventilation. Returned home from work to find the cover ripped off and the snow blowing in!

Great thread :) As soon as it gets properly cold I'll film some of the fleet doing the cold start dance.

TBH both of the NA SDi diesels seem to start instantly even in the coldest weather. There're loads of videos on YouTube of folks with VAG SDi powered stuff starting in extreme low temperatures so it's a strong point for them it seems, almost no glow plugs required although they do sound extra clattery/rough so it's worth hearing and seeing for the diesel pervs amongst us!

Ironically in the fleet as it stands it's the 940 turbo that takes the longest to start in low temperatures...

My video of the Olds cold starting, the most popular video I've ever posted to YouTube...

The Green Goddess at ShiteFest firing up for the first time in nearly a decade:

The Doloshite not long after I rescued it from the frozen north:

The Doloshite not long before it's engine exploded: