EMERGENCY! Help please...

robinmasters

What others have said. Leave the jump leads connected with the jumping car at a fast idle for a good few mins before trying again.

Xantias are known for issues with the positive battery lead degrading, so worth a look to see if there are any signs of it having overheated.

Any testing with a normal meter isn't likely to show up issues there...a few ohms of unwanted impedance isn't much, but at the few hundred amps you see during cranking it can amount to quite a big voltage drop.

I assume you're sure the leads are okay? I used to have a cheap thin set, which blew itself open circuit like a fuse the first time I actually used them!

disconnect battery, connect leads to pos terminal, and earth on body, then try it

Try connecting the black jump lead to the engine instead of the battery post to rule out a dud earth.

The correct way is of course to attach the neg lead onto a lump of metal nearest the starter motor and not the neg terminal of the battery because electrons are lazy...Also run for a bit (5 mins or so) before attempting a start.

And get some proper leads, there are a lot of wank ones out there.

It was the battery. My thinking was that the other car's battery was doing the work, so a knackered battery wouldn't so the dead car being jumped. I haz learned a lesson today. It fired up straight away on the tiny AX battery.

I was busy outside messing admit with it so didn't see the sale code, but ECP was open and provided a fresh battery, and Stuart's now on his way on the first leg of the Xantia's trip to it's new home.