Xantia relay

SierraMikeHotel

Yes, the lack of bacon is a disappointment (especially as I've boasted elsewhere about making my own).

Beans could have done with about 20 more seconds in the microwave.

I do love a potato farl though!

First train claims to be running on time, possibly a first for Southern.

03a6d38105b12d51619af2af49deb216.jpg

Cor, these Kentish trains are a bit flash! It's called a Javelin and it looks great (wasn't ready with the camera when it pulled in). Not like the chod we get on Southern.

Hmmm. 395 Javelins are nice. Southeastern's 375s are 377s in all but livery. They are equally shit.

After a little delay while we bought a battery, I am now the temporary custodian of a Citroën Xantia! I was keen to get underway but I've stopped for a cheeky McDonald's on the way home, I'll put up a longer post with my impressions of the car when I get home and I've got a proper keyboard.

9e904351f6faad19b8f77fa320800ffd.jpg

Lovely old thing though, it drives really nicely and deserves to have its issues fixed. It'll be really nice when it's sorted!

So, this is the roffle Xantia that Aldo135 won, and this was the first leg of its repatriation.  I believe it's a little further south than it was this morning, so we're doing well!

I wondered if this would all be called off at one point when I got a message from Robinmasters saying it wouldn't start.  When I arrived he'd attempted jumping it from another car but with no joy.  We hit on the idea of putting the known-good battery from the other car into it and sure enough this did the trick.  With the problem diagnosed, we nipped off to ECP and Robinmasters bought it a new one.  It's just occurred to me that he thought I was the winning bidder at that point - I would have said "thank you" if I'd realised but I do think it was a generous thing to do!  It also meant I got to have a go (as a passenger) in a 406 Coupé, a car that I've always liked the look of and it didn't disappoint.

More detail on the battery fixerating.

With the car running I was keen to get underway (all right, I was excited about trying out the Xant) so I headed for home.  I took the A259 and A27 back to Lewes, which is a pretty good test of any car - there are twisty bits, town bits and a couple of stretches of fast bits.  Good fun, and the traffic was fine today.

If you can ignore the faults that the Xantia has (the lack of driver's door card and handbrake) it feels like a pretty decent car.  There are no funny noises or odd habits, it just drives like I think it probably should.  I'm familiar with hydraulic Citroëns (and I love them) and this did feel very much like a BX.  There's that wonderful floaty ride quality, the really characteristic way that they bob along, and of course brilliant brakes.  Not to mention the grin-inducing levels of body roll in tight corners!  It'll be worth sorting out the niggles as it drives so nicely: it will be great when sorted.

If Robinmasters is worried about my standard of driving (it took a while to find the biting point) I'd like to point out that I hadn't driven a manual since about this time last year!

I have thoroughly enjoyed myself today but if pressed I think I'd have to say I prefer the BX.  The dash in the Xantia is less well-thought-out, not as attractive and with buttons and controls strewn about apparently at random.  I struggled a little to get comfortable, too, finding the seats a little small.  Just my opinion: I always take a while to get settled in "new" cars.

post-24362-0-23939100-1546707126_thumb.jpg

Good to meet Robinmasters and swap stories of knackered old Citroëns.

I'll leave this thread here for the next person in the relay to use (it might be helpful for organising the relay, too).

It may be technically further away from Edinburgh but it's closer to Gatwick! That's my plan now unless anyone reading would like a shot to bring it further north?

Sounds like a good day out SierraMike Hotel, you've had a shot of the Xantia, Robinmasters has it out of his sight (to make way for new shite?) and I've got a couple of weeks breathing space to make a plan!

Robinmasters I agree it was good of you to put a new battery on it, pretty sure that doesn't happen with gumtree/eBay sales :)

It may be technically further away from Edinburgh but it's closer to Gatwick! That's my plan now unless anyone reading would like a shot to bring it further north?

Sounds like a good day out SierraMike Hotel, you've had a shot of the Xantia, Robinmasters has it out of his sight (to make way for new shite?) and I've got a couple of weeks breathing space to make a plan!

Robinmasters I agree it was good of you to put a new battery on it, pretty sure that doesn't happen with gumtree/eBay sales :)

Where is it now?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk