Yamaha City Scooter

Jerzy Woking

Due to the impending collection of my electric scooter, this has got to go to make room for it.

Registered 7th May 2011-I bought it from my mate in August 2014 as he only did 154 miles on it in those 3 years.

Now has 5,400 miles, MOT'd to 7th March, and will be serviced next week. I fitted new Yamaha drive belt and rollers on it at 3,300 miles simply because I got them for free from a dealer going out if business

I don't use it for short trips, usually commute it to and from London when I feel the need (60 miles each way and 100 mpg). Also rode it to Czech Republic couple of years ago. I can guarentee that the oil gets hot on every ride.

Fitted with top box, screen and two 12v outlets, so you can charge your phone and sat nav.

In good condition, no damage to body work. Only advisory on MOT is a warped front disc, but I seem to warp discs on all my bikes!

Lots of these for sale with 30,000 plus miles on them, reliable as they get.

£750 shiters price (could also deliver if not too far, or for the cost of my diesel if further). If no sale here it will go on eBay for £950. Can't find any photos of it, but will get some on Saturday, as it is tucked up in the warm basement at work.

I'm in North Essex/Tower Hill London

Also have a Suzuki UG110cc Hokuto with (I think) a failed fuel pump.

No MOT but was rebuilt (with new belt and variator rollers) just before the fuel pump stopped pumping. That will be a couple of hundred.

post-19526-0-29073800-1546548152_thumb.jpg

New tyres too-done less than 50 miles since rebuild

Also have a Suzuki UG110cc Hokuto with (I think) a failed fuel pump.

No MOT but was rebuilt (with new belt and variator rollers) just before the fuel pump stopped pumping. That will be a couple of hundred.

20190102_110533.jpg

New tyres too-done less than 50 miles since rebuild

I had one of those years ago, they're fucking brilliant!!!!

Sadly no use now otherwise it would be all mine.

Agreed-all a fair bit for all the rebuild including all seals and then new tyres. Stuck it in the back of the garage and only got it out recently.

Runs sweet with petrol poured into the carb-trying to get a fuel pump for it-once I find one and fit it, I'd be tempted to keep it. Two strokes for winners!

I'm getting a Lifan E3 (it's Chinese).

Having had several test rides of one made my mind up. Build quality is good, panels fit well and are of a decent gauge (at least as thick as those on my Yamaha.

The electric motor is made by Bosch and these same hub motors are used by many other manufacturers. A replacement motor costs about £130. A battery replacement is about £500, which will recharge about 2000 times, equating to 60,000 miles. Which will take me probably 30 years to cover.

I will be picking mine up in Madrid in a few weeks time-a city that, along with Barcelona, will be banning ICE vehicles from large parts of the city very soon. The Spanish importer has also been developing the controller to gain more speed with very little reduction in range.

I have considered a Zero, but as I will only be using it for 10 mile round trips, it's the most cost effective way for me to get into electric propelled bikes.

That’s interesting. The one he’s considering is the NIU N+. At first glance I thought it looked a bit tiny and rubbish but now I’ve read enough to be intrigued. I’m gonna go and test ride one with him.

How does the Lifan fit in with UK licences? He’s only got a grandad rights moped licence, but I’m interested to know what I can squeeze out of my A1 licence. I know some electric bikes (such as the zero) circumnavigate the “continuous” power restrictions of an A1 licence by delivering huge dollops of torque for short periods only.

I've ridden the Zero S which is the equivalent of a 125cc bike. It's most certainly quicker in top speed and acceleration than most 125's you can buy (unless it's like my 33bhp Cagiva Mito). There is a weird way in which their power was rated which means that they can be ridden on L plates.

The Lifan is rated the same as a 50cc moped, but is a bit quicker to get to top speed that a four stroke scooter (but a bit slower than a two stroke). Again, the way the power is rated for licencing gives the electric bikes a bit of an advantage.

As city bikes, they excel, as most regenerate power under closed throttle/braking. My commute is all motorway, and it is constant speed that kills the range, otherwise I'd have a Zero DSR.

I would actively encourage any rider to go and try out an electric moped/scooter/bike, as although their range may not suit your use, or their price suit your pocket, they are the future of motorcycling, and, importantly, the banning of ICE's in city centres will not be that far away.

Please note that I am no eco-warrior. I own a number of petrol engined bikes that I love (which is why I own them), and will fight tooth and nail to make sure they can be ridden everywhere as long as they can be.

These are a possible answer to my commuting woes. I hate the train with a passion and despite living 20 miles from the office it takes at least an hour and a half by public transport or car because London. Very curious to see how this develops, two grand is roughly what a Kymco 125cc bike would cost and if an overnight charge costs a few pence it’s a very cheap option potentially.

We should be making these. Someone like Triumph could buy an old name (BSA, Ariel) and build retro bikes with modern eco power trains and watch the money roll in

It's also worth considering an e-bike for a shorter urban commute. In town they're potentially quicker than anything as without number plates you don't need to stop for red lights.  :ph34r:

Definitely cheaper to run, no tax, MOT or insurance required. Maintenance likely to be easier and cheaper. And you get exercise without having to join the gym.

I've had a go on a fairly cheap one (Momentum Electric) and absolutely loved it. Keep thinking I'll convert my pushbike with a nice mid-drive motor (Bafang or similar) but keep blowing the money on old cars. If you go DIY you can get around the speed limit regs...

The downside (and appeal of an electric scooter instead) are that as far as I'm aware there are no grants for e-bikes, which makes a proper electric motorbike look much cheaper. But in the long run an e-bike is probably still cheaper and definitely healthier.

It's also worth considering an e-bike for a shorter urban commute. In town they're potentially quicker than anything as without number plates you don't need to stop for red lights. :ph34r:

Definitely cheaper to run, no tax, MOT or insurance required. Maintenance likely to be easier and cheaper. And you get exercise without having to join the gym.

I've had a go on a fairly cheap one (Momentum Electric) and absolutely loved it. Keep thinking I'll convert my pushbike with a nice mid-drive motor (Bafang or similar) but keep blowing the money on old cars. If you go DIY you can get around the speed limit regs...

The downside (and appeal of an electric scooter instead) are that as far as I'm aware there are no grants for e-bikes, which makes a proper electric motorbike look much cheaper. But in the long run an e-bike is probably still cheaper and definitely healthier.

Yeah I’m so tempted by an e-bike. My commute is about 8 miles each way, which feels ace in the morning, but feels like a bit of a drag after work, hence why I mostly take the scooter. Also the fumes make cycling a bit nasty.

I’ve had a shot on a colleagues e-bike- he built it himself and it’s a rocket! I’m quite tempted by the ultra minimal g-tech one (pedal assist only), and could get one on a cycle to work scheme.. but then I just think “I have a great road bike and a pair of legs, get on with it man”

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=211566&productId=1393245&storeId=10001

Yeah I’m so tempted by an e-bike. My commute is about 8 miles each way, which feels ace in the morning, but feels like a bit of a drag after work, hence why I mostly take the scooter. Also the fumes make cycling a bit nasty.

I’ve had a shot on a colleagues e-bike- he built it himself and it’s a rocket! I’m quite tempted by the ultra minimal g-tech one (pedal assist only), and could get one on a cycle to work scheme.. but then I just think “I have a great road bike and a pair of legs, get on with it man”

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=211566&productId=1393245&storeId=10001

This is why people don't buy an e-bike. They tell themselves they should man up and cycle, then they drive.

For me, the trick with using the bike regularly is to make it comfy and easy. That means not a super-efficient road bike, but something with an upright postion, comfy saddle, mudguards, forgiving wheels and tyres, solid brakes, etc...Also a rack and panniers so that I can carry stuff without breaking a sweat, and use it for doing the shopping. Lights are also important I think, and I could do with an upgrade there really... I try to take it fairly easy, use back routes etc. I don't want to have to get soaked/sweaty change my clothes blah blah.

My bike's not very fast, but it is very easy and pleasurable to use, so I use it all the time, whereas my colleagues with lightweight road bikes tend to end up getting the bus or driving if the weather looks dodgy... They also seem to fall off more regularly...

With an e-bike you can afford a bit more weight so why not go for something with a few creature comforts? Kalkhoff make nice stuff and even their early e-bikes were ahead of the game. There are bargains out there already for a bike that's a few years old. Many of them bought by old geezers who have never used them.

This is why people don't buy an e-bike. They tell themselves they should man up and cycle, then they drive.

For me, the trick with using the bike regularly is to make it comfy and easy. That means not a super-efficient road bike, but something with an upright postion, comfy saddle, mudguards, forgiving wheels and tyres, solid brakes, etc...Also a rack and panniers so that I can carry stuff without breaking a sweat, and use it for doing the shopping. Lights are also important I think, and I could do with an upgrade there really... I try to take it fairly easy, use back routes etc. I don't want to have to get soaked/sweaty change my clothes blah blah.

My bike's not very fast, but it is very easy and pleasurable to use, so I use it all the time, whereas my colleagues with lightweight road bikes tend to end up getting the bus or driving if the weather looks dodgy... They also seem to fall off more regularly...

With an e-bike you can afford a bit more weight so why not go for something with a few creature comforts? Kalkhoff make nice stuff and even their early e-bikes were ahead of the game. There are bargains out there already for a bike that's a few years old. Many of them bought by old geezers who have never used them.

Agreed. Most comfy bike I ever rode was a hire bike in Holland which looked like something from the thirties. Most modern bikes do look great but not that many are particularly luxurious

I've mentioned elsewhere but I've got a Halfords e-bike I commute on and it's the best thing ever, this one to be exact - https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-vengeance-e-mens-electric-mountain-bike-16-18-20-frames?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Bikes-_-Electric+Bikes-_-368613&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=xmpmlrrqpx&istBid=tzpr&_$ja=tsid:94971|cid:1537736847|agid:58104978389|tid:pla-371577618141|crid:291898456001|nw:g|rnd:6294991789349393111|dvc:m|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:1007011&gclid=CjwKCAiAyMHhBRBIEiwAkGN6fHewvJ2ITSgLQgsDG6JDjTcVOpMlUZ-32xgVNm2lpUq5loOvzVPXpBoC40QQAvD_BwE

Mountain bike because my route is mostly through a country park on rough tracks, but they also do hybrid and road versions.

As someone else said it's about motivation, I have a pushbike and I used to take it to work sometimes but not often enough as it was too easy to drive instead, now I've got the e-bike I use it at least three times as often, and I feel so much better for it. An added bonus is getting to work feeling warmed up and awake but not sweaty and horrible.

I think they're cheap enough now to be justified, I worked out it'd pay for itself in fuel savings in 2-3 years depending on how often I use it, and my improved fitness is a bonus on top of that. Plus Halfords will do it on 0% over a year if you don't have all the cash at once.

If you've not ridden one before, it is something of a revelation.

• 4 weeks later...

Retiring in 5 weeks, so this needs to go. Will put it through an MOT next week (due 7.03.19).

Not used it for about 6 weeks, starts as soon as starter button touched.

Picking up my Lifan electric scooter in 7 weeks (with latest upgraded controller,giving 38 mph with barely noticeable drop in range).

£700 shiters price-can deliver within a reasonable distance from London in any direction).

• 3 weeks later...

So I am now scooterless for the first time in 5 years.

I sold the Vity to a nice young lad who came all the way from Kettering. He was a dealer, And offered me what I wanted for it, paid cash, and went. Great

Today the UG110 was sold and I transported to Stephen01 in Dudley. I'm sure you'll get it up and running and pass your CBT. It is a great bike, and leaves a lovely two stroke haze in its wake. So happy that this has gone to a fellow shiter-looking forward to updates on it, and your riding.

And the (ex-Strangeangel) Piaggio 400 Xevo sold to a colleague last week, and he can experience the advantage of it as a commuter compared to his Ducati 999.

But not scooterless for long-collecting the Lifan on 16th March in Madrid. What a collection caper that could be!