Bluetooth OBD reader

Six-cylinder

Wassup dudes?

A wee search found that Autell has been mentioned on these pages before, so rather than start a new thread, I'll join in here.

I bought this today

post-5582-0-66792900-1550264571_thumb.jpg

It's good!

My Volvo had the eml light on, omega has airbag light, wife's golf has abs and tc lights and daughter's polo abs light.

post-5582-0-32430900-1550264651_thumb.jpg

post-5582-0-28798300-1550264681_thumb.jpg

All diagnosed and cleared temporarily. The Santa fe with blown turbo was also checked.

post-5582-0-41857100-1550264830_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the pic orientation.

Wassup dudes?

A wee search found that Autell has been mentioned on these pages before, so rather than start a new thread, I'll join in here.

I bought this today

attachicon.gif20190215_193432.jpg

It's good!

My Volvo had the eml light on, omega has airbag light, wife's golf has abs and tc lights and daughter's polo abs light.

attachicon.gif20190215_191430.jpg

attachicon.gif20190215_191913.jpg

All diagnosed and cleared temporarily. The Santa fe with blown turbo was also checked.

attachicon.gif20190215_192655.jpg

Sorry about the pic orientation.

I have a couple of Autell readers and one is VAG specific so if you want a shot of that one give me a shout.

I brought up a load of codes on the Octavia that got deleted and I've not looked to see if they are back. 

I have a couple of Autell readers and one is VAG specific so if you want a shot of that one give me a shout.

I brought up a load of codes on the Octavia that got deleted and I've not looked to see if they are back.

Cheers T. Likewise, if you want to try this one.

I have a wee vag one too (not Autell) but it's not as good and has linking errors.

Most of the cheap ones don't read airbag and abs codes, but this one does.

try not to go the BT route as a main scanner  , go with a plug in scanner , far simpler to drive and use ...

I have both , the BT one lives in the car ..just in case of a field fix ..

and the plug in scanner  ,  lives in the garage and has been used quite a bit due to its plug and play nature

Vauxhall- opcom is ace and free if you are happy to use pirated software

Ford- Forscan is free, legit and bloody brilliant and has saved be much cash by programming new keys n stuff 

I have them on an old laptop and connect via a decent quality ELM cable 

Forscan is fantastic

I have the following:-

Rover / Landrover factory T4

Bosch KTS.  The KTS got its last update in 2007 but works on a lot of cars older than that.

I have an old VAG-COM/VCDS as well but it only does pre-CANbus.

I have factory Jag software that goes up to about 2007.

In theory I have Peugeot/Citroen DiagBox but I would have to re-install all the software which would be a massive pain.

For people with Rovers and MGs there is my http://pscan.uk tool as well.  We are also doing more and more Landrover stuff too now.

I have a genuine VCDS for VAG (used to be called VAG-COM until VAG moaned about trademark infringement). Also have an knock off Op-com in a box somewhere but I also own a proper Tech2 which can do way more than an op-com (due to being dealer tool). Finally got a DS150e which had been way, way more useful than I ever imagined.

No doubt have other diag tools kicking around in my junk box too. Loads of ELM327 adapters too.

Bluetooth ones are good for knocking out EMLs 5 minutes before your MOT starts, but they won't do anything particular to a model unless there's an app for that vehicle like the Renault one a member on here was developing (soz, forget who it was). The BT ones will pass on whatever errors are present but apps like Torque just won't understand each manufacturer's specific codes.

Bluetooth ones are good for knocking out EMLs 5 minutes before your MOT starts, but they won't do anything particular to a model unless there's an app for that vehicle like the Renault one a member on here was developing (soz, forget who it was). The BT ones will pass on whatever errors are present but apps like Torque just won't understand each manufacturer's specific codes.

OhNo! Renault app curtosey of SiC.

• 1 year later...

Night of the Living Thread. 

My cheapy 'Streetwize' code reader has shat itself. Never comes to the end of a scan, occasionally says 'link error'.

So, I need a new one. I've had a look, and exactly the same one (I got mine 10+ years ago, surely things have moved on?) seems to be still available for ~£20, but there's then a load that cost ~£25 that seem to show slightly more information. 

I don't want an all-singing, all, dancing one, I just need to read basic engine codes. 

Any recommendations?

9 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

What car(s) is it for? Do you want a standalone or something that works with your phone or something that works off a laptop?

It's for Citroens, at the moment, but I'm just after something generic that will give me basic codes off anything. I definitely don't need (want to spend that much on) a Lexia. 

Wireless phone things are fine, if they work. I had one of those Chinese ELM327 things some time ago and it was absolute rubbish. If they've improved since then that would be pretty handy, it could stay plugged in permanently. 

I used an app called FAPlite with a ELM OBD reader when I had a C8, worked well. 

The ELM things are a bit of a minefield as loads of them are stripped down and barely work.

Spend slightly more and hopefully you can get one that works.

No experience of this one but it should be OK:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Proscan-OBD2-ELM-327-Bluetooth-google-Android-Car-Scanner-Torque-Auto-Scan-Tool/301205091809

This one specifies FAP lite but you're probably not getting anything different to the above for your extra tenner:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM-327-Bluetooth-Scan-Tool-Android-OBD-For-Peugeot-Citroen-FAP-app-FAPlite/273346870828

Either of those should work with Torque or other apps to do general EML / fault code stuff on non-Citroens.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have a the cheapest possible obd2 bluetooth reader. But I have an iPhone so had to use a 1.4 million year old Android phone.... And I couldn't find the dongle yesterday.

For iPhone you need a Bluetooth 4.0 dongle for around £25 or a wifi one for £13. 

I bought the wifi one yesterday and just fired it up. A family member bought a diesel 2010 C3 off Facebook for £1000..... Engine light, doesn't run properly.... Guy not answering phone, the usual. 😂

Now, of course this could just be one fault as the battery is dodgy, or it could be all of them. 

(The issue with a wifi one, is you can't click the error and have the phone open the Internet as the obd2 dongle is the wifi connection. Which is a bit annoying.)

The world of obd is fascinating, do you get a handheld all-in-one for £35? A cheap dongle for as little as £8? Fiats use Multiecuscan on a laptop and is more indepth.

Then the apps are free, but all have a paid edition.

I need to see if I can reset the service light on the Alessi as it needs to be reset by a dealer. 

3049BC6A-0F84-4972-B6BF-4A587B57F617.jpeg

E113421B-09E7-4D39-8419-AD5F5A262D05.jpeg

• 8 months later...

Holy thread resurection....

Have there been any changes in the 2021 world? Are there any bluetooth dongles that work with more than generic lights?

The Volvo (2001 c70) is a twat and has thrown on the SRS light. My suspicion would be somewhere under the seats given they are tilted and slid forward on a daily basis, however presumably even if I can find a loose connector the internet suggests I won't be able to get the light off? My basic obdII reader won't touch it as expected.

2 minutes ago, LostnotFound said:

Holy thread resurection....

Have there been any changes in the 2021 world? Are there any bluetooth dongles that work with more than generic lights?

The Volvo (2001 c70) is a twat and has thrown on the SRS light. My suspicion would be somewhere under the seats given they are tilted and slid forward on a daily basis, however presumably even if I can find a loose connector the internet suggests I won't be able to get the light off? My basic obdII reader won't touch it as expected.

I'm not sure but if you have a laptop I would recommend the DS150 clones that you can get for around £30, they are really powerful and do most things on most cars up to 2017. I was using it yesterday to check the injection timing on my Volvo 850. 

I have the proper Volvo software too which would be fine for checking the SRS light on your C70, if you want the link and have or can buy the £10-ish cable.

1 hour ago, LostnotFound said:

The Volvo (2001 c70) is a twat and has thrown on the SRS light.

Ah, welcome to the world of unwanted "restraint system" lights. My E60's just done that...

Scanned it with Carsoft 12: "yes, there's an error in the module".

Scan for codes.

"What error?"

I now have the 5-DVD set of BMW's official* software and I shall put it on a laptop, to see if I can really pin it down. What it isn't is the passenger seat mat, as is widely suspected - that reads and behaves as it should.

1 hour ago, Lacquer Peel said:

I'm not sure but if you have a laptop I would recommend the DS150 clones that you can get for around £30, they are really powerful and do most things on most cars up to 2017. I was using it yesterday to check the injection timing on my Volvo 850. 

I have the proper Volvo software too which would be fine for checking the SRS light on your C70, if you want the link and have or can buy the £10-ish cable.

Cheers, another thread that came up when I searched here reccomended https://tools4car.co.uk/product/universal_diagnostic_hardware/ as a decent supplier. Given the MOT is due in a months time I'd probably pay the extra for that rather than one direct from China if I go that route.

However, I don't currently have a laptop. Given the cost of standalone units I would weigh up buying a second hand / refurb laptop to play around with for other stuff after using it for this. 

Are DS clones are they compatible with Windows 10 etc...? I presume the Volvo softwear is the stuff that requires Windows 7 only?  

8 minutes ago, R1152 said:

Ah, welcome to the world of unwanted "restraint system" lights. My E60's just done that...

Scanned it with Carsoft 12: "yes, there's an error in the module".

Scan for codes.

"What error?"

I now have the 5-DVD set of BMW's official* software and I shall put it on a laptop, to see if I can really pin it down. What it isn't is the passenger seat mat, as is widely suspected - that reads and behaves as it should.

This is my fear, that spend a ton on a shiny bit of plastic that either can't find the issue or just tells me 'it's completely fucking fucked mate' at least with an old laptop I could load up Doom and take out my frustration on some space monsters.

1 minute ago, LostnotFound said:

Cheers, another thread that came up when I searched here reccomended https://tools4car.co.uk/product/universal_diagnostic_hardware/ as a decent supplier. Given the MOT is due in a months time I'd probably pay the extra for that rather than one direct from China if I go that route.

However, I don't currently have a laptop. Given the cost of standalone units I would weigh up buying a second hand / refurb laptop to play around with for other stuff after using it for this. 

Are DS clones are they compatible with Windows 10 etc...? I presume the Volvo softwear is the stuff that requires Windows 7 only?  

This is my fear, that spend a ton on a shiny bit of plastic that either can't find the issue or just tells me 'it's completely fucking fucked mate' at least with an old laptop I could load up Doom and take out my frustration on some space monsters.

The Volvo software will run on a Windows 10 laptop in XP compatibility mode. I have the Delphi software on a Win 7 laptop but I think it should run on 10 fine, it's a 2017 update.

7 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

The Volvo software will run on a Windows 10 laptop in XP compatibility mode. I have the Delphi software on a Win 7 laptop but I think it should run on 10 fine, it's a 2017 update.

Can confirm that Delphi software runs fine on WIndows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 - not in compatibility mode or anything, just fine right out the box.

4 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Cheers, I'll have a think today about my plan of action. Given you used the Delphi yesterday rather than Volvos software when you've got access to both as well as it's general popularity I'm definitely leaning that way.

Just now, LostnotFound said:

Cheers, I'll have a think today about my plan of action. Given you used the Delphi yesterday rather than Volvos software when you've got access to both as well as it's general popularity I'm definitely leaning that way.

It's a great piece of kit and means you're not stuck with marque-only software. It is more powerful than the Volvo software even on Volvo specific stuff.